Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder though if AI implementation also means cars develop an individual "personality "?
No. Perhaps between models, I don't know if they train all model's neural nets on the same training set. But definitely not on individual cars. AI works by training a neural network on a huge data set (millions if not billions of kilometres of video). It takes a supercomputer to run this training, not something you can do in each vehicle (also, each vehicle doesn't have enough training data). That NN (i.e. the result of this huge training exercise) is then deployed to the fleet. So all we get in the cars are the hidden layers of the NN.

Tesla have in fact given up on catering to special cases and have in their latest iteration for US FSD removed 300k lines of code that was handling special conditions to now base the entire behaviour on "quality checked and good" data from the fleet. This means for example that on the latest FSD stack in the US, the car will no longer adhere strictly to speed limits, but will drive the way a "reasonable" driver would, and to match the traffic flow. While that is (in my view) the way it should be done, the law very clearly states otherwise.

This approach is extremely worrisome because now there are no sanity checks left and Tesla will not be able to tell you why the car did what it did. Whatever it does is simply the output of the NN.

In Australia, we have not had any significant improvements in autopilot functionality since 2020. Autosteer still malfunctions at the same Delhi Rd / Epping Rd intersection, it still mistakes 40 signs on buses for the speed limit on occasion, it always still mistakes lane open indicators in tunnels and on bridges for traffic lights and wants to stop, and it often misreads speed signs that are not applicable to the lane I'm driving in.

It sucks to be in bad wiper land. Mine have never performed satisfactorily, but then again I can switch them off with a physical twist on the left stalk, and press on the outside of the stack when I need a wipe - don't know how that works in the stalkless cars, but I can imagine it's a huge pita.

Last edited:
This means for example that on the latest FSD stack in the US, the car will no longer adhere strictly to speed limits, but will drive the way a "reasonable" driver would, and to match the traffic flow. While that is (in my view) the way it should be done, the law very clearly states otherwise.
So my car (if I had FSD) will be effectively driven by the habits of the humans around me?

Reactions: Quickst
That is my understanding, yes. The tyranny of mediocrity.
Not for long. Once the computing resources for training is freed up, Tesla may use videos of Aussie Ute drivers (*) for training and bring back Mad max mode 😂

(*) Ashok, head of AP team has mentioned in the CVPR conference last year that any video can be used for training, including off YouTube.

Nah, it's a random staged rollout.

You can see on the TeslaFi Firmware Tracker that there's 6 different versions with significant numbers of installations out there right now, including three from the 2023.44.30 branch.
Still didn’t get an update notification, so while waiting to pick my son up I popped into the software tab and after a second it said “Checking for updates…” then 30 seconds later “Connect to WiFi to download”. Felt like I was on my iPhone! Not sure if it is standard now that forces a check?

Only got notified on 2024.2.3 (not 6) so have installed that. Will see how it goes tomorrow.

I updated the car to 2024.2.6 this morning. When taking the car out of the garage for the school run the car did a single dry wipe. It's never done that before, sigh.
Until today I had only ever had one dry wipe, I think caused by a bug. Today, Still on 2024.2.2.1 I got two for no reason. Only commonality I could see was bright late afternoon sun at an angle, and then headlights similarly positioned. I think part of the problem may have been that bright light combined with some slight smearing in front of the camera left after a rough clean of bugs on the window.

Not sure what 2024.2.3 will bring?

Recently picked up a Model Y and less than impressed with the TACC and EAP after system calibration.

Repeatable example is when on a wide lane or road where a bicycle rider is in their own bike lane with 2m to 3m space to spare, the car will brake hard to match the push bike speed. There is plenty of space to just pass. Then in stop start traffic the car would brake late all the time. It drives like someone who can only see 50m ahead. Even if say at 75 or 100m, the cars are stopped with brake lights. Its apparent the cameras just can't see that far ahead. When we drive past kerbside bins or cones, there's always a crap load more bins or cones rendered on the visualisation screen than reality.

During crawling stop start traffic, the braking is also sudden and when going into a double lane roundabout, it wants to launch into cars coming from the right.

My wife in the passenger seat commented, it was like driving with a new L plater. We won't be using any auto pilot or tacc unless it was a nicely marked motorway.

Reactions: Maximillan
Since 2.3 I’m getting dry wipes again. Every day for last 3 days. No tree shadows, just sunshine (behind the car, not even directly at front camera). Sounds like they turned the sensitivity back up again after all the complaints about insufficient wet wiping!

Recently picked up a Model Y and less than impressed with the TACC and EAP after system calibration.

Repeatable example is when on a wide lane or road where a bicycle rider is in their own bike lane with 2m to 3m space to spare, the car will brake hard to match the push bike speed. There is plenty of space to just pass. Then in stop start traffic the car would brake late all the time. It drives like someone who can only see 50m ahead. Even if say at 75 or 100m, the cars are stopped with brake lights. Its apparent the cameras just can't see that far ahead. When we drive past kerbside bins or cones, there's always a crap load more bins or cones rendered on the visualisation screen than reality.

During crawling stop start traffic, the braking is also sudden and when going into a double lane roundabout, it wants to launch into cars coming from the right.

My wife in the passenger seat commented, it was like driving with a new L plater. We won't be using any auto pilot or tacc unless it was a nicely marked motorway.
The stop-start traffic issue can be helped a lot by setting following distance to level 7 (max). (Right scroll wheel sideways). That seems to smooth out the behaviour to a comfortable level.

If you see cars stopped in the distance and you are moving fast, don’t trust the TACC to slow down in a comfortable way - it won’t.

As for roundabouts, don’t even think about automation - it’s not programmed to handle that at all.

I think the features you are expecting are more akin to FSD. Our cars are not equipped with this and you are expecting Autopilot to do more than it is programmed to do. I suggest you have a good read of the manual and what its limitations are.

Oh, and yes. Don’t experiment with automation with your wife or any other passengers in the car. It’s one thing for you to intervene - for the passengers it’s scary as hell.

Learn the limitations of automation by yourself before using it with others. A second reason for that advice is that you may be distracted by conversation and be less attentive.

Our software in Australia is years behind North America. It’s not great. Sometimes it’s awesome - you will learn when it is and when it isn’t, but that will take a few months.

I do a lot of motorway driving, and it’s generally great. But it still has its moments and don’t expect it to avoid a pothole or a kangaroo. It may also slow down unexpectedly at unprotected access points/crossroads. There are quite a few of them on the NSW Hume Hwy for example.

Last edited: