Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I might be biased due to only having received my car in April '22 :) But I also remember the Bjorn video wasn't particularly old so maybe something changed about that time?
I think the issue was that until radar was removed, in the software stack, auto headlights were just optional and no one used them. When radar was removed it became somewhat compulsory for autopilot usage and thats when the auto headlight not working well became an issue.

2024.8.3 just installed (remotely). Main news seems to be the ability to set the charge limit higher than normal for one time only (when charging prior to a road trip for example). New wifi and bt menus for 3 and Y.

What are some people are talking about here being able to upgrade the firmware of the 240V charger to actually use the promised 10/15A?

Reactions: SPadival and dronus
Not sure when it happened, but navigated to a Chargefox site yesterday and battery preheating started. How long has this been a thing?
If you opened it from the “chargers” option on the map, it’s been since the non-Tesla chargers appeared there (about 3-4 weeks).

i don’t think it pre-conditions if the battery is already warm enough for the speed of the charger (e.g today I navigated to a 50 kW after driving 3 hours, it didn’t pre-condition)

Reactions: Yx05 and B3AU
If you opened it from the “chargers” option on the map, it’s been since the non-Tesla chargers appeared there (about 3-4 weeks).

i don’t think it pre-conditions if the battery is already warm enough for the speed of the charger (e.g today I navigated to a 50 kW after driving 3 hours, it didn’t pre-condition)
Yes it was from the chargers option. You could be right about the charge speed and preheating. This was the Chargefox 250kw site.

2024.8.3 just installed (remotely). Main news seems to be the ability to set the charge limit higher than normal for one time only (when charging prior to a road trip for example). New wifi and bt menus for 3 and Y.

What are some people are talking about here being able to upgrade the firmware of the 240V charger to actually use the promised 10/15A?
Check if speed cameras are showing up if you get a chance.

Some reports that this is enabled in Australia with 8.3

This refers to the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). On new UMCs the adapters for 10A and 15A plug sockets only draw 8A and 12A respectively and the car (Model 3 or Model Y) will apply an update so they then work at the full 10A or 15A rate. However since the Highland Model 3 was released it seems the update functionality on that model fails, but it does work on pre Highland models.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
This doesn't work on the pre-refresh MS? My UMC which I normally charge from only draws 8A (but the tail claims 10A).
If you’re referring to my pre refresh Model S, it came with the V1 UMC, which is a different device to what you can now purchase a V2 UMC.
I have only used it on road trips and the 10A works at 10A, but that’s not what current Model 3/Y owners are dealing with.
P.S. To anyone reading this, if you ever see a V1 UMC for sale, grab it. It works with all models except Roadster and is capable of 3 phase 16A (11Kw).

And the 10/10A and 15/15A tails only started getting released in late 2021 if I recall.

Some have been able to purchase the updated tails for about $50 each from Tesla.
My UMC died in about 2022 I think, long enough since March 2020 that they wouldn't honour warranty in any case, so there's a good chance it's an upgradable one. Will check when back on the island.

My UMC died in about 2022 I think, long enough since March 2020 that they wouldn't honour warranty in any case, so there's a good chance it's an upgradable one. Will check when back on the island.

Not quite sure what you mean by that comment. I have an original 2019 UMC, and it recognised the tails as soon as I plugged them in. Older UMCs are just as “upgradable” as newer ones to recognise the 10/10 and 15/15A tails.