Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove Sydney Northern Beaches to Canberra (325km) Friday afternoon in the horrendous weather. So it was a good chance to test 2024.8.7 which I received the night before.

Autosteer did brilliantly but then I have always found it good. Not fazed at all by all the water.
My route on Friday started in Tamworth and ended in CBR.
Much the same observations as doggy, but did have a few "Poor visibility, speed has been reduced" warnings, variously on the New England, Pacific and Hume sections, when the fairly constant rain intensified a bit or the trucks threw up too much spray. (I run with with auto steer beta and red light recognition.)
There were a few auto steer aborts, where it simply decided "I am done with this *!*?!"

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
I'm still on 2024.2.7 and have no connectivity issues.

Immediately accepting software releases because you want to be on the latest version means that you have be ok with being part of the cohort that finds the bugs that Telsa missed.
You would think that they would test something pretty obvious like this.

There are some people still on the old version that are having the same connectivity issues as the new version so that might not even be the problem.

Radio silence as per usual tho.

You would think that they would test something pretty obvious like this.

There are some people still on the old version that are having the same connectivity issues as the new version so that might not even be the problem.

Radio silence as per usual tho.
Yeah there are plenty on 2.7 with it so it sounds much more likely to be another Telstra IOT issue.

Haven't had any issue here with either 8.7 or 8.8

Tesla considers the phone key as the backup with the card as the primary
I've never heard of this Tesla policy.
I suppose you mean that as the Keycards are necessary to create a new phone key the key card is the Primary?.

However that does not make sense to me because if I lose the keycard, I can easily replace the keycard using the phone key and the mobile app/car.
I don't see one as a primary /backup. I can lose either and can still recreate it using the other. The Keycard to me has an initial "bootstrap" function which allows the phone key to be made. If you have at least one key either the Phone key or the Keycard you can create any combination of the two. Of course if you lose all keys , Tesla will supply you with a keycard to bootstrap more keys.

Maybe I am not looking at this correctly?

Last edited:
I am getting old so my memory is probably faded but when I picked up the car I’m pretty sure the young chap said you do everything with your phone and the cards are a backup.
Thats what they told me when I picked up both of my Model 3-s. I use phone as primary and my watch as backup. I purchased Drive Electric to be able to use the watch as key, but so far the phone has been working fine and I have only tested the watch twice.

I've never heard of this Tesla policy.
I suppose you mean that as the Keycards are necessary to create a new phone key the key card is the Primary?.
Re Tesla considering the key card as the primary method. The manual says, "Always carry your key card with you in your purse or wallet to use as a backup in case your authenticated phone has a dead battery, or is lost or stolen." I've read reports of people saying that they had problems getting into their car with their phone but didn't have the key card with them, so Tesla told them basically "tough luck" or something to that effect because you're meant to have the key card with you at all times.

How do you dissolve a keycard
As per @Goneincognito & @Quickst , I used acetone. It's scary stuff knowing that it can just dissolve plastics.

I hate phone cases, but now I use one just for the purpose of storing my backup key card... which is no longer a card. The wire loops were placed such that the Magsafe induction phone charging would not cause a current in the wires & cause them to heat up.

Image here:

Reactions: Zinzilla and dronus