Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla starts delivering 85 kWh batteries software locked to 75Kwh in its cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like this will help reduce 100% charge time for those with 85kwh limited to 75kwh if it is indeed the higher voltage battery. Essentially it would not taper much until the near end. Also it can also help with warranty issues as the car can slowly unlock more of the capacity as the car ages. I think Chevy was doing this for their spark ev and volt. Also this might explain the fast 0-60 mph time.

Thank goodness they are finally getting rid of the lower voltage battery as it does cause longer supercharge time.

I wonder when they started releasing the new 85kwh packs into production. The Tesla's in these photos probably completed production in June since it took a few weeks to get to Norway. Why have the first 85kwh packs be released to cars delivered in Norway while 75kwh packs were still being delivered in the US?

I got my car in 10-14 and I am really happy the 85 battery is still relevant! I thought I would have been left in the dust long ago. It seems like the 85 will be the mainstream battery for a while. That'll help my resale for my upgrade. I hope!
The 85 rocks. I love my P85. 2.26% degradation in 40k miles and 3+ years. It's the "heirloom" battery.

Having an 85 locked at 75 is an upgrade in and of itself over a simple 75. Less stress on the cells, more power capability from them (unless that's locked too), faster charge capability (same), etc. Plus of course the ability to unlock more power later if desired. Congrats!

I am waiting for my car to go to production. It can go to production anytime now. Can I do anything at this point to delay the process to see what is coming ahead for Model S? It would suck if they increase the base battery and kept the price same as what I am paying for 75.

No alternative but walking away from delivery with loss of deposit.

Tesla is sneaky with their changed unfortunately. It is all geared towards Tesla maximizing quarterly deliveries and optimizing Tesla's logistics.

Your feelings on the matter are ignored in that thinking.