TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla suddenly turned off the nags for me this morning - how about you?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jun 8, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

So I have always had to touch the while every 3-5 minutes when traveling at freeway speeds on I-10 in Southern California, even at night when constrast is super high.

This morning however I did a 60 mile round-trip from Redlands to Ontario airport and back at 5 am - and was asked to touch the wheel twice the entire time - all the while doing between 65-70 mph.

I'm on 2.20.30 in a 2016 70D, and have been on 2.20.30 for some time now.

Anyone else? I'm assuming this is some kind of randomized testing on nag frequency Tesla does, and I drew the lucky straw today.

2. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Tesla is using you as a guinea pig to test new features. ;)
    (Either that or the car senses that you are a "good driver" and is rewarding you.
    We are all guinea pigs.
    I got a notice that there is a new software version today. I'm on 2.20.30 now. We'll see what it is tomorrow and what new tricks the car has up its sleeve.

3. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I have noticed nags have been significantly reduce as of version 2.20.30. The best I got on the highway was 8 minutes 20 seconds on the highway, and it only nagged then because I was entering a curve.

4. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

The nags also are a function of how long you have been driving - I added a user and user profile for a friend and he got nagged a lot, while I've barely seen it at all...

• Informative x 1
  5. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

I experience nags based on surrounding traffic. Some days I see few but ALSO see cars on the IC the entire trip. Other days with little traffic to follow I get nags on a constant time basis

6. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Interesting observation but I don't think you can state this as fact.

7. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

This has been my experience too. Pretty much 0 nags in heavy traffic and slow speeds. More nags in light traffic and high speeds.

8. mshuang

mshuang Member

I think it has to do with the road condition and markings -- in places where the markings are confusing to the sensor (or disappear/fade), the Model S is more naggy when it can't follow a car.

The place that AP nags about is always the same, and it only nags for me when there's no car to follow.

9. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

nags are based on how stressed the system is. Curves, poor lane markings are primary reasons and increasing with higher speeds.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Yes you're both correct, but the system is nagging me at least 50% less in the same road conditions at the same time of day, in the same traffic than it did the last couple months. Tesla has changed something - I have no idea why but I'm very happy. :)

• Like x 3
  11. eyespii

eyespii Member

The nagging is completely unpredictable for me.

About a 6 weeks ago, our Model X went for at least 15 minutes straight without any nags, driving at highway speeds 70-75mph with traffic and a fair number of curves. This was on the I-10 heading east before the Cabazon outlets. I remember distinctly because after a couple minutes of no nags I wondered what was going on, and decided to bust out my iPhone to time it with a stopwatch. It hit 14 minutes before I had to take an exit.

During the same trip later at night when it was dark, minimal traffic and on a completely straight highway (heading east from quartzite to phoenix, at least 30-40 miles of no curves), I got nagged maybe every 2-3 minutes.

I've been in my S where a nag will pop on the screen every 5-10 seconds. And yet other days, it will only pop every 2-3 minutes. similar traffic conditions, same weather, same road that I drive almost daily. No rhyme or reason that I can see. *shrug*

12. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Would be very interesting to note your nags with this version for a few days to see if the trend continues.

13. green1

green1 Active Member

They add a ton of nags, take away some of them, and now you're "very happy"? I'd be "less angry" instead...

• Funny x 1
  14. xav-

xav- Member

Stupid question but what do you do when it nags? Do you basically have to take over?

15. eyespii

eyespii Member

Just have to apply a tiny bit of torque to the steering wheel and the nag goes away. Autopilot stays on.

16. msnow

msnow Active Member

No, not true it's your imagination.

17. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'll do that.

Um, dude - anybody who owns a Tesla has ZERO actual problems in life and no reason to be angry. People like us are so blessed it's unbelievable.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  18. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

How much over the speed limit you're going also seems to be a factor in nagging. Speed limit to 5 over seems better than 5-10 over, vs 11-15, etc

19. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

This is my experience too. I have never gotten nags that are time phased that I have noticed.

20. msnow

msnow Active Member

Wait, your agreeing that it's based on a specific users profile?