Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Super Charger conspiracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you have any waypoints, doesn't sound like it from the description but I've definitely noticed some very strange charging decisions being recommended when waypoints are involved.

Also, I think it's now using more localized forecasts for weather, but that then updates and changes significantly. When driving home from Wales a few weeks ago the expected arrival went from 25% to 5% then back to 18%, a heavy downpour (which was likely) would have created that much change.

Maybe it's UK weather feed is rather rapidly changing.
no, no waypoint, nothing. quote calm day yesterday... more or less same lowish temps, dry and clear.

It may be the miles per kwh is higher with a warm battery so is better after supercharging then before. With the required kWh to be added calculated before the battery is preheated but taking into account the energy needed for preheating.
Well I would not think so, because the 10% arrival SOC was showing during the SC session, when battery is hot, after pre-condition!

I think it is quite simple (perhaps I am just always too cynical?), it's a money thing...

Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, heading home and it says stop at Woodall services as I have 105 miles to go to my destination with not enough charge left. Usually I plug in and top up to around 160-170 so I've a 'buffer' in case of any detours.

The SC was still wanting to charge another 10 mins or so beyond this, so I just stopped it, unplugged and headed off.

The car changed from about a 2% remaining prediction to me heading down the M1 watching it creeping back up and eventually getting home on about 12-15% I think? Was about 40-50 miles in the tank left, which is what I wanted as I charge fully at home.

Depending on your viewpoint they either want our money or they are concerned about our wellbeing and making sure we don't run dry. Sort of big brother in looking after us dim people!

'cos don't forget we're all stupid these days and need big corporate or The Gov to tell us what to do as we can't think for ourselves/make our own decisions about what to eat/drink/smoke etc...

I noticed that pre-conditioning uses >10kWh on a long journey with one stop to recharge. I'm not prepared to sacrifice nearly a tenner to arrive with an even emptier battery at a supercharger that can only deliver 60kW.

While I find it annoying I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory view and instead put it down to dysfunctional management. Could also be that they've hedged a significant portion of their planned power use and we're stuck with that poor decision.

At the risk of diverting the thread ( maybe I am a plant and its a deliberate ploy!!)
if your session starts off peak and finishes peak or visa versa does the price you pay change part way through the session so you get billed at two different rates on one charge? or do you pay the rate you started at for the whole charge. I am assuming the former but just wondered?
Seems to be the rate you start with is the rate for the whole session based on my surprise at the cost a few months back when we’d hit the 77p per kWh rates. I was literally a minute too early plugging in apparently and got whacked.

I noticed that pre-conditioning uses >10kWh on a long journey with one stop to recharge. I'm not prepared to sacrifice nearly a tenner to arrive with an even emptier battery at a supercharger that can only deliver 60kW.

While I find it annoying I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory view and instead put it down to dysfunctional management. Could also be that they've hedged a significant portion of their planned power use and we're stuck with that poor decision.
Hi there Fursty, navigate to across the street from the supercharger and it won't precondition.

I noticed this over the last couple of weeks. Each Saturday we take a round trip to Birmingham that I’ve made on a single charge multiple times.
A couple of weeks ago the navigation was suggesting a Supercharger stop that we completed until it advised enough charge to continue. We then got home with about 40% charge left.
Last weekend it suggested a Supercharge stop again with only 3% remaining but I cancelled in the navigation (to avoid battery preconditioning) and after some time the end trip charge estimate grew to 12%.
We cancelled the route and entered home again and it again advised to stop with only a 3% charge estimated at end of trip when we once again cancelled the supercharger.
We got home with 13% remaining having not charged at all!
Something definitely seems to be up. Not saying it is nefarious, but it seems overly cautious.

Dont thinks its a conspiracy as such - but it probably protects people from themselves... Mine "overcharged" yesterday at Warwick.. Then i hit 3 M6 closures and blizzards - at which point the orig mild amusement that i was going to get home with 30% was very much thankful it had advised i put more in when i actually got home with 10... if i had cut it fine i would have had to seek a further chage on one of my amusing diversions ......

I have noticed a huge increase in preconditioning this winter, compared to last. It’s got to the point where I just remove supercharging stops from the navigation - otherwise it adds nearly £10 onto a long drive.

I’ve also noticed a big drop in winter efficiency at the start of long drives, and it seems the battery heats itself up for a couple of hours with my efficiency running around 280 Wh/mi. After a couple of hours it drops back to around 240 Wh/mi which is what I consistently saw last winter.

Very annoying as means I need a charging stop for a 240 mile route I used to do regularly without stopping.

Reactions: ringi
When it is very cold we have the interesting problem that taking a few hours break from driving (without charging) can increase total required energy to get home. It is more of an issue if the car is heated while not driving due to closed roads etc.

I have noticed a huge increase in preconditioning this winter, compared to last. It’s got to the point where I just remove supercharging stops from the navigation - otherwise it adds nearly £10 onto a long drive.

I’ve also noticed a big drop in winter efficiency at the start of long drives, and it seems the battery heats itself up for a couple of hours with my efficiency running around 280 Wh/mi. After a couple of hours it drops back to around 240 Wh/mi which is what I consistently saw last winter.

Very annoying as means I need a charging stop for a 240 mile route I used to do regularly without stopping.

I think the cars now need a setting for people who are happy to have lower performance and slower supercharging to increase efficiency.

So Mrs McX has been up in Edinburgh. She charged last night to 100% in our M3 LR to make the 330 miles drive home. Departed this morning and the car advised her that to complete the journey she needed to charge at Adderstone. Fair enough.

Enroute from Adderston to home she got another alert telling her that she needed now to also charge at Ferrybridge otherwise she wouldn't make it home. She is much more cautious than I so follows the alerts and on screen prompts from the car like gospel, including 'sufficient remaining charge to continue your journey'. Traffic is 'normal' according to her which means 70mph on motorways and around 50-60 on the single sections of the A1 in Northumberland etc.

In December, I did the same journey, at the same cold temperatures, similar traffic levels, and had to do only the 1 'top up' stop.

This to me seems excessive. I reckon she will get home with plenty battery remaining i.e. unnecessary charge which Tesla will profit on.

Do Tesla report their income stream via SUC's?

We all see the car sales and profit per vehicle etc discussed widely.

I assume there must be metrics for Powerwalls, solar etc as well as the 4 main vehicles?

Would be interesting to see as I agree on the one hand they are profiteering but on the other hand if they were simply transparent and stated charge rate is cautious to allow reserve provision... then I'd probably still reckon it was a con😂.

Do other manufacturers provide such information when charging or is it simply a case of charge numbers like putting a tenner in your car, it has no idea how far you plan to go with that fuel regardless of the satnav destination?

Do Tesla report their income stream via SUC's?

We all see the car sales and profit per vehicle etc discussed widely.

I assume there must be metrics for Powerwalls, solar etc as well as the 4 main vehicles?

Would be interesting to see as I agree on the one hand they are profiteering but on the other hand if they were simply transparent and stated charge rate is cautious to allow reserve provision... then I'd probably still reckon it was a con😂.

Do other manufacturers provide such information when charging or is it simply a case of charge numbers like putting a tenner in your car, it has no idea how far you plan to go with that fuel regardless of the satnav destination?
oh yes they do. but they lump it with Services in the report (so all body shops and paid service visits)

"paid supercharging grew 3x times"

Reactions: ElectricPolice