Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they might be putting conventional J1772 EVSEs in those other pole locations.
That would be more flexible (to allow non Tesla EVs to charge too) than if they put HPC2s there...

Slim pickings on the digestion selection there .....

What are you talking about? Starbucks...McDonald's...Mobil...could there even BE a better selection of glamorous food? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Note that the lack of credit card swiping equipment indicates that either:

-Charging is free,
-The "charge" for charging is handled by the car,
-Some equipment still hasn't yet been installed, or
-Hold your Tesla key up to the box and you're charged automatically.

I'm going with option 1. Free charging! (But option 4 is also quite likely).

So what I have gathered is that the Left coast gets theirs first, followed by the right side of the country, then fill in the gaps. I really only need one mid way between Houston and Dallas and I will be happy as a clam. However, it is my understanding that the installation of such a unit will not occur until all the others. Which is kinda odd, since the 2011 city size population rankings has Dallas and Houston as #9 and #4 respectively. Compare that to - say - LA and SanFran (#2 and #14) or NY and DC (#1 and #25) ... Okay, NY and Philly would net you #1 and #5 ...

... but throw San Antonio into the mix, and you are looking at #4, #7, and #9 all within the same state and all needing (I say NEEDING) a supercharger in between them.

But - I guess in 24 hours - we will all have our answer (s) ....

Likely, and what makes good business sense, is that they'll chose the locations based on the geographic concentrations for Model S orders/deliveries. My guess is that Texas is not at the top of that list.

Likely, and what makes good business sense, is that they'll chose the locations based on the geographic concentrations for Model S orders/deliveries. My guess is that Texas is not at the top of that list.

I most certainly would not argue with you on that ... however, the zeemaps page shows that Texas is not paltry by any means. Granted (as I mentioned originally) left and right side of the country certainly have more; I am anxious to see their timeline. I would be very surprised to see Texas at the end of the list: equally surprised if it is near the top.

I most certainly would not argue with you on that ... however, the zeemaps page shows that Texas is not paltry by any means. Granted (as I mentioned originally) left and right side of the country certainly have more; I am anxious to see their timeline. I would be very surprised to see Texas at the end of the list: equally surprised if it is near the top.

My guess is that Texas will come soon after east/west coasts...last in the country will be north central (Dakotas) and Alaska. Hawaii (obviously) doesn't need one...but they may put one in.

The real question here is timeline. Theoretically Tesla could have a decent part of this network up in a matter of 6-12 months.

I wonder if they might be putting conventional J1772 EVSEs in those other pole locations.
That would be more flexible (to allow non Tesla EVs to charge too) than if they put HPC2s there...

That's what it looks like to me as well, 1 supercharger and probably a mix of HPC2s and conventional J-1772s, for non-Tesla EVs (or Teslas with the J-1772 adapter). The thinking could be that if the SuperCharger is in use when you arrive, you can at least plug in and get some charge while your waiting. Also the 40KW Model S can't use the SuperCharger. One other point, if you are on a road trip and staying overnight at that Best Western across the street, the HPC is probably preferred to the SuperCharger, you have the time, and it will be less stress on then battery pack.

Last edited:
So what I have gathered is that the Left coast gets theirs first, followed by the right side of the country, then fill in the gaps. I really only need one mid way between Houston and Dallas and I will be happy as a clam. However, it is my understanding that the installation of such a unit will not occur until all the others. Which is kinda odd, since the 2011 city size population rankings has Dallas and Houston as #9 and #4 respectively. Compare that to - say - LA and SanFran (#2 and #14) or NY and DC (#1 and #25) ... Okay, NY and Philly would net you #1 and #5 ...

... but throw San Antonio into the mix, and you are looking at #4, #7, and #9 all within the same state and all needing (I say NEEDING) a supercharger in between them.

But - I guess in 24 hours - we will all have our answer (s) ....
I wouldn't be so glum. There are a lot of reservation holders in Texas, and the need for three SCs is pretty clear: one between each of Dallas, Houston, and Austin.

Getting SCs in the east is a little messier. Unlike the west coast or Texas, the population centers / destinations aren't as distinct, making it harder to pick a few sites that will solve lots of people's travel needs.

During the Austin Get Amp'd, a few different reps commented on the placement of a supercharger in the region. Further, they commented on a few possible locations, some of which were off of the interstate a ways, suggesting that at least they had done some reconnaissance in the area. I strongly recommended exit 299 off of I-35 (has a target, BJs, Chipotle, etc), and one of them could name all of the restaurants in the center. While this does not necessarily suggest that said supercharger would be implemented immediately, at least there are quasi-plans :confused:

During the Austin Get Amp'd, a few different reps commented on the placement of a supercharger in the region. Further, they commented on a few possible locations, some of which were off of the interstate a ways, suggesting that at least they had done some reconnaissance in the area. I strongly recommended exit 299 off of I-35 (has a target, BJs, Chipotle, etc), and one of them could name all of the restaurants in the center. While this does not necessarily suggest that said supercharger would be implemented immediately, at least there are quasi-plans :confused:

When I was placing pins for suggested Supercharger locations, I was trying to pick midpoints along the highways and considering size of the city as well. (Just for a loose guide.) I was going to leave the actual placement to Tesla and the local land owners/business owners.

That canopy doesn't look big enough to generate more than maybe one car's worth of energy a day. I wonder if it is some kind of advanced solar panel, like multi-junction Gallium Arsenide?
Given the toxicity, I'd really doubt they'd choose that material. It's rare to see the toxic, high-efficiency stuff on non-space based applications. Surface area just isn't at that much of a premium.

Looks like 21 ft wide x 54 ft long = 1134 sq ft of solar. Easily over 10,000 kwh per year. Impressive.

Contacts: Now these look to be good for 200 amps or more. But Tesla is assuming that mud wasps won't fill these with eggs?? Hope they are working on a sealed mounting socket. Can't imagine a Tesla owner asking: "now where is the plug?"
--

Nice work, Eric vfx. So, it appears to be one supercharger per (atleast this) location despite the 6 parking spots here? Contention's going to be an issue in high-traffic corridors...

My guess is 6 superchargers based on placement. If you look at the five stubs they are in the same spot as the finished one. (ignore the painted lines) That is, next to the Model S charge port when pulled nose in.

The cords as shown are too short to reach a Leaf nose -maybe if it backed in. Still hoping for Roadster support on some level. (Swapping out the socket in the car is my choice.)