Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder. Would they really need one at a service center? Surely a few HPWCs will do the job for them.

For me, it makes a lot of sense. If I travel up to St.Louis for the Cardinals game (at least once a year I do this) I could drop by, pick up some swag, get my wipers changed out, top up the drained battery and be out of there in an hour or less and not miss a minute of pre-game tailgating and I'll be all set for the trip home the next morning. Even with the twin chargers we're looking at a minimum of 5 hours sitting around the shop. Since I often don't get to STL until 3 or 4 pm on game day that wouldn't work at all. Now, if they wanna offer courtesy service and shuttle me to and from the hotel and such that might work.

That said, in a busy shop servicing several vehicles a day it's a bit impractical to have 10 cars all hooked up to HPWCs taking up space and time, but with the supercharger they could top folks up and have them ready to go in minutes.

Has there ever been anything specifically said about how often you can use the supercharger? One road trip a year from Portland->San Francisco->Portland will be ~1400 miles or ~10-15% of my yearly miles.

No. There has been no official statement. I suspect there will be one after the Supercharger reveal on the 24th.

Hi Jerry,

My point wasn't that the time to get a charge will take over 30 minutes. My guess is that most folks will simply take more than 30 minutes at the rest stop. So if that is correct, there may be the need of attendents to move cars into parking spots after 30 minute charges have been completed.

Larry

This can be addressed with multiple charging heads and routing available power to which car needs it. If the charger has knowledge of likely departure time it can do this intelligently. ABB already has CHAdeMOs doing this.

I don't expect Tesla to state any limitations. Instead, I expect the vehicle to display a message that frequent supercharging may affect battery capacity that the driver has to acknowledge. Tesla does not include battery capacity in the battery warranty, so any impact is up to you anyway.

[video]http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesla-s-model-s-goal-is-20-000-in-2013-musk-says-lAlAC4zvQB6oIHwEoa2pXQ.html[/video]

Elon starts discussing the Supercharger around 6:30.

7:20:
Elon said:
The supercharger will look something "like this amazing alien sculpture at a highway rest stops."

7:30:
Elon said:
"We're going to enable people to drive anywhere across the country, anywhere in the United States, so there'll be probably over a hundred".

7:45:
Elon said:
"And ultimately we're going to do this in other parts of the world, so people will be able to drive anywhere in the world, and there are a number of cool things that I'll reveal on Monday night."

8:00:
Elon said:
"I'm really confident that the supercharger will completely alleviate people's concerns about range with electric vehicles."

[video]http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesla-s-model-s-goal-is-20-000-in-2013-musk-says-lAlAC4zvQB6oIHwEoa2pXQ.html[/video]

Elon starts discussing the Supercharger around 6:30.

7:20: ... Superchargers are going to be awesome ... More awesomeness! ...

Damnit! Elon is making me want to really stretch for the 60kWh pack (Supercharger access). Now to see if my two 240-300 mile road trip routes will work with a single charger and what are the odds that the charger makes it there!

Drab highway rest stop! :scared:

What happened to being able to get a decent meal while charging!

It may turn out being a mix of rest stops and eating areas.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I know this was discussed before, but I'd like to bring it up again in light of latest information:

100 superchargers will roughly come close to covering the US I think...maybe need a few more than that, but that should result in good coverage. Estimating total installed cost of $100,000 each, that would indicate about $10M to $20M to install. Tesla could theoretically hire contractors to build many of these sites simultaneously (or nearly so). I am now wondering if maybe the entire nationwide network will be installed within about 1-2 years.

If Tesla finishes their network by the time their reservations dwindle down, the knowledge of a nationwide charging network will spur many many new sales---well worth the relatively minor $10M-$20M investment. What do you think?

What do you all think about the feasibility of having this network up and running in that short of a time frame?

I'm trying to figure out what would be so visually awesome that it's going to look good on a live stream and event. Technically cool somehow, I could see, though I'm jaded by fore knowledge. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy it's being announced, but I'm trying to figure out what they'll show on a stream that's not dull.

"Here's a car under a big solar powered canopy! Here's a plug! And you, uh, well, you plug it in and wait 30 minutes."

"Ok, that's it, good night folks!"