TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Supercharger network

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by dsm363, May 25, 2012.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

It is illegal to resell electricity in California, but California voted not to consider car charging to be regulated under CPUC in 2010.

http://gigaom.com/cleantech/cali-makes-it-official-electric-car-charging-wont-fall-under-utility-rules/

2. daxz

daxz Member

I created a dynamic map Tesla Supercharge Map estimator where you can see how far you can go around supercharger locations. You can move the radius slider (or enter in miles) and see the radius around the locations. Supercharger locations are approximate guessing from presentation map. ( I know I need to clean up CA's locations) - I can try to make a dynamic 5yr plan map too if there is interest.

85/60kWh battery traveling 75mph then you can go about 230/175 miles.
    if feel like you need to travel faster or consume more wattage per mile then ideal or are looking 5 years down the road lower the miles:
    @80mph - 220/163 miles

To see gaps in network you can use half the distance so you can see where circles do not overlap.
    mapSCD.png
    looks like it would be a stretch for 85kWh pack in a few locations without slowing down or supplemental charging.

For me traveling from Denver to Chicago with a 60kWh pack would be tough without going slower.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Cool idea. I believe St.Louis had a dot on the 2 year map that I don't see included on your map.

4. daxz

daxz Member

Just added one there...

5. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Very cool map! Would it be easy to make the already installed Superchargers a differnt color?

Peter

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Larry, check this thread, starting around the time of the supercharger announcement. Basically, several reports from those that attended the supercharger event and talked to Elon/JB/battery engineers stated that you could supercharge in standard mode as much as you want and you won't have appreciable harm to the battery. These tech and leadership folks from Tesla said the battery could handle it, no problem. Supercharging in range mode, however, is another story.

- - - Updated - - -

For those talking about perhaps adding a fee for supercharger use when Teslas become more common, envision this scenario:

If Tesla were to announce that all future customers would have free fuel (free access to supercharging) for the life of the car...for the life of the company...don't you think that would drive as many people to EVs as possible, and make perhaps the most revolutionary change to the auto industry ever? Not sure of the financials, but I think if Tesla stays efficient, they might be able to make this happen, and end up coming out ahead from it due to incredible sales. Imagine how quickly a dense network of superchargers could develop in this scenario. Literally, market as one of the benefits of Model S/X/E ownership the capability of getting free supercharging for life.

Would have to build many more superchargers? Yes. Would it be profitable? Quite possibly. Would it expand a supercharging infrastructure faster than any other approach? Quite possibly.

7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

daxz - Great map!

For those of us of the X persuasion, it looks like we're going to be obeying the speed limit unfortunately. Perhaps a future upgrade will add Google's auto driving capability so we can take a nap.

It also looks like there are going to be some mandatory overnight stops for many trips. For example, if you want to go through New Orleans, Provincetown, Quebec City, or anywhere down East in Maine, it'll probably be necessary to charge up overnight or at least for several hours.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I meant that we need to make it easier for folks to have home charging -- for example folks living in apartments or have street parking. If we don't make that easy, they'll use SC as if it were a gas station you go to once a week which is the wrong paradigm.

9. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Hi Todd,

I found the posting:

I believe what the technician is actually saying is that by slowing the charge rate it minimizes battery degradation. I'm not an expert, but his statement as reported by Capitalist Oppressor is inconsistant with what I have read that high capacity charging puts a higher stress on batteries than low capacity charging. In addition, Supercharging will generally occur when the state of charge is low and I believe that will also put a higher stress on a battery than merely "topping off". So I am dubious that Supercharging will have no effect.

My earlier point was not that a single Supercharging event, or infrequent Supercharging, would cause serious damage. The point was that the cumulative effect of frequent Supercharging events would degrade the battery faster, perhaps to the point where warranty issues may come into play. I recall reading, but can't find now, a Tesla guidance that recommended avoiding Supercharging at more the 1-2% of total charging time. I sent an email to Tesla to get a more authoritative written guidance.

Larry

10. NuclearPowered

I have hobby batteries that can charge at 10C. I doubt charging at just over 1C would do any long term damage with a sophisticated BMS and charging algorithm.

11. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Post #572 from this thread:
    Post #574 from this thread:
    Post #592 from this thread:
    Post #83 from the Forum>Media>News>Supercharger Event 2012/9/24 thread:
    Post #88 from that thread:
    So that one's from Elon, George, or JB. I trust Spatters' ability to take notes :). Doesn't hurt to get clarification, but we have a lot of corroborating evidence here.

12. Larry Chanin

Todd,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive response. Yes, I see what you mean about corroborating evidence. In my email to Tesla I pointed out that the Facts web page, which discusses charging facts, says nothing about the Supercharger. Perhaps they can provide this type of information to allay fears.

Thanks again.

Larry

13. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

In fact since the high power charging only takes place up to 80% SOC there is not much need for the BMS or any sort of charge algorithm involved till nearing the end of charge when current is lowered. Now, there will be slightly more stress to the battery with supercharging than with lower powered charging, just as there is slightly more stress to the battery at a 40 amp charge rate than a 20 amp charge rate, but the differences should be small.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

That's not hardship duty, to spend the night in any of those locales! Still, I concur that Tesla should extend the network to provide better coverage to these areas. I'd add "New Hampshire ski resorts", as the Lebanon charger is wicked inconvenient to the White Mountain region.

15. Larry Chanin

The following was posted on September 24, 2012:

To paraphrase using current political jargon, it seems Tesla's verbal guidance on this subject has evolved. :biggrin:

Hopefully Tesla will be amenable to a written guidance placed on the Fact web page.

Larry

16. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Yeah, and those things make one heck of a bang when they fail.

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

8012261887_e6e966b055_b.jpg

So I'm surprised there isn't at least a dust cover on the connector. Seems like it wouldn't take very long for debris to collect in there.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Or water...

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

It'll all burn off during a charge :wink:

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I believe it was said that the connector is covered with a sliding door when not in use.