Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes perfect sense. If you don't see yourself using the supercharger more than once a year and the 60 kWh range covers all of your other driving then paying for the Supercharging would be the way to go. Even if it's $20 as you said that beats the $10k extra range that you won't use for free Supercharging.

I think this is the main reason for me. I'd be happy to plug in and pay Tesla for a quick charge if I were on the road. It certainly would beat sucking down the gasoline fumes and being tempted to buy a 48 oz soda!

Kevin, how much long distance driving did you *not* do because of the price of gas, environmental impact, or other factor like that? I know that personally I'll be much more willing to go for a long drive knowing that it's free and *truly* zero emissions! But I agree that unless you take good advantage of it, the upgrade may not be financially worth it.

I did think about that, Todd, and you're right. I would probably drive more often with the Model S. My aversion to road trips is not because of the price of gas, environmental factors, or those sorts of things. Really it's my back and ass that object to the road trip! I do also get agitated when I am in the car (or airplane) for more than a couple of hours, so it is perhaps, the confinement to some degree. Rather, I see myself making more local trips in the Model S rather than taking the train or cab. Chicago is not a friendly place for automobiles given the congestion and price of parking. But in the 'burbs, I'll likely be driving more with the Model S and taking one of those "Sunday Drives."

There is something romantic about the road trip (get your kicks on Route 66, apologies to Depeche Mode), but I'm not a road trip kind of person any more.

So we have verified that Tesla can identify your car when you plug in? If that's the case, then per-use charging for the 60 kWh owners should be fairly easy...if you've used the system, you just get a bill e-mailed to you...or tie it directly to a charge card! No card or financial transaction needed...the car itself provides the identification for the transaction!

This would be a great way for us 60 kWh folks who only on rare occasions would need it.

Agreed. I tend to ski in north Lake Tahoe, so having it on the road to south lake isn't ideal. (But I don't have a Model S, so it doesn't matter to me right now.)
Also, the occasional drive to Nevada usually has me going to Reno, not south Lake Tahoe, so again, hwy 80 would have seemed more useful.
Doing it at the split would have covered both choices.
I agree with both of you but I have a feeling that with a 60 it might be too far from west Sac to get all the way up the hill.
I think for North Tahoe I'll be counting on that 80A charger at Clipper Creek in Auburn

Given last nights announcement, I don't want to rain on Tesla's parade BUT ...

Today, we have the level 3 chargers dotted around CA and IL in a hopeless state of disrepair. Thanks to useless 350Green.

How do we know that Tesla's entry into this field will be any different?

Just asking?

Last edited:
Given last nights announcement, I don't want to rain on Tesla's parade BUT ...

Today, we have the level 3 chargers dotted around CA and IL in a hopeless state of disrepair. Thanks to useless 350Green.

How do we know that Tesla's entry into this field will be any different?

Just 'asking?
350Green views chargers as the product, and they rely on partners to do most of the heavy lifting. It's easy for the store manager at a Walgreen's, say, to think that the L3 CHAdeMO foisted on him by corporate seems pretty worthless (at best) and costly to maintain.

By contrast, Tesla views charging infrastructure as a means to an end: selling lots of cars. If their infrastructure isn't maintained, the impact on future sales is direct.

Picture of Tesla's within 2 year Supercharging network plan for the US:
View attachment 10128

Picture of Tesla's long term (4-5 years out I think) Supercharging network plans for the US:
View attachment 10088

Some details from a Colorado perspective:

Look at the southern red dot in Colorado in the two maps. Most red dot locations are the same in the two maps. I think that the grey dot locations are the build out from year two to year five. In the second map, the southern red dot locations appears to be along I-25 near Pueblo. In the first map (two years out), it looks like someone fudged the location of the southern red dot to avoid a gap in southwestern Kansas.

BTW, the northern red dot looks like it is somewhere near Breckenridge or Vail along I-70. A reasonable location, but if one is driving from Denver to St Louis, a location in western Kansas along I-70 sure would help. I am sure that there are similar details to be worked out on some of the other major interstate corridors.

Another small detail: It looks like these are simple 150 mi radius circles around each location. This is pretty simplistic, especially in the mountain west where actual road distance can be much more than the straight line distance.

I think the Supercharger network is great, but they will need a few more chargers at year two and year five to really provide full and convenient coverage.

So I called up Tesla to see if they could clarify the "small incremental charge" for supercharging the 60kWh battery pack. The guy I talked to obviously knew the statement I was referring to, but he didn't know what Elon meant by it. As far as this representative knew, nothing had changed from what was said on the web site. But he promised to find out and get back to me.

Nice! Explains a lot. You can also see the model x in the background with standard mirrors.

I should defer to the Tesla experts, however it appears he misspoke when he referred to the charging tower as an inverter to change AC to DC; my understanding is the correct term to use is rectifier. An inverter changes DC to AC which is what the Model S uses to change the S batteries DC voltage to it's AC motor AC requirements.

Nice vid, VFX. I obviously bombed at getting good video, and I'm really glad you did. I got the same info regarding different designs depending on the location, too. I was surprised to hear Ted say no batteries in use, but I had heard from 2 others that battery packs would store charge at some sites. Now I wonder which is more accurate.

I wonder if they will block or limit Supercharging at your "local" station. If you lived within 20 miles of one, you would have free gas for life and might crowd out true long-range travelers. If I were Tesla, I would put people on notice that they might limit local charging if utilization/crowding becomes an issue....

I guess my estimate was a little low...but it looks like it's a moot point now. The second supercharge can be a standard charge (or BOTH can be!) and you don't need to worry about the number of times you supercharge! (If you're getting the 85 kWh battery, a standard charge should get you from one supercharger to another in a lot of cases, once the network's built out).

Right, I'm really happy. And within two years there will be superchargers more-or-less where I travel even if not on my preferred route. Once the location is finalized we'll see how it works on paper. (It looks like a couple might be just far enough apart to require a short charge elsewhere.) And yes, I never considered anything other than the 85 kWh battery.

I should defer to the Tesla experts, however it appears he misspoke when he referred to the charging tower as an inverter to change AC to DC; my understanding is the correct term to use is rectifier. An inverter changes DC to AC which is what the Model S uses to change the S batteries DC voltage to it's AC motor AC requirements.

Might just be semantics. Yeah, rectifier for AC->DC... But you might need more than just the rectifier to change voltages to what the pack needs. Not sure if that would end up fitting the technical definition of an inverter too, but I am fairly sure they need "a bit of electronics" outside of the car to do the whole charger function. Internally there could possibly be AC->DC->AC->DC...

This is a beacon of light signifying free transportation fuel.
IMG_2338.JPG

This one displays ever increasing numbers that lighten your wallet.
BP_Connect_price_sign_-_geograph.org.uk_-_741409.jpg