Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went by my proposed vacaville spots and took pictures.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The first two pictures show my first proposed location. Clearly not tesla branded. Ironic that a charger of a different type was currently being built at the location I figured tesla would be building. Maybe tesla will/is building one somewhere else in that parking lot.

the third image shows a spot in nut tree plaza. It is right next to rubios and five guys and Jamba Juice. I saw these spots blocked off the other day. It fits the "back of a mall in Vacaville" description (albeit a strip mall, not an outlet or enclosed mall... Real malls) that the workers suggested was going to be the case for vacaville. Strangely, when asking about my car this morning, a co worker asked if I had heard that new ev charging station near rubios. In the background, there is an ev station already there (see the last picture), so more wouldn't be abnormal

Last edited:
This. I am surprised there wasn't more about this from Tesla and from the media.

There is still kind of a hole in the middle of the west coast supercharger network. Although it is possible to go from Corning through to Harris Ranch via Folsom or Fremont, either requires about 40 extra travel miles. Maybe the Manteca supercharger is under construction without our knowledge and they'll have the big announcement when that is done?

Is the eVgo station a CHAdeMO unit? If so, that could be useful as well.

All the NRG/eVgo "freedom stations" have a CHAdeMO and a J1772. In California, 200 Frankenplugs may be added to the existing CHAdeMO installations over four years, however the agreed to parameters have not yet been triggered on that four year period. There is currently exactly one Frankenplug installed as a demonstration (not part of NRG/eVgo's obligation to the state of California) in San Diego.

I took the map previously done here on Elon's Road Trip Thread:
Assumptions:
- 120 kW and 310 Wh/rated-range mile at every supercharge: 385 rated miles charged per hour (linear calculation). That means booting your neighbor if the shared-charger spot is taken.
- Very rough estimation for Supercharger locations. I chose the city or town closest to the red AND gray dots on the Winter 2013 Supercharger map.
- Used Google Maps to plot the route, from Hawthorne, CA to Brooklyn, NY. I only had to enforce one deviation from Google's suggested route, to ensure to drive through Rapid City, SD, and then the route fit the dots.

I added the constraint of passing through Farmington, NM and then Silverthorne, CO to get back on the main Supercharger route, and got this: Hawthorne, CA to Brooklyn, NY via Farmington, Silverthorne, and Mt Rushmore. It has a 328 mile hop to Silverthorne, CO. I hope that is true, because it will put a Supercharger on my route from Pagosa Springs to Silverthorne, or he could use some of the 70 Amp chargers that I am putting in 4 Corners EV Charging and have a nice soak in the hot springs of Pagosa Springs, or do a whiskey tasting in Salida...

What I really think it it more probable is that Elon will travel Farmington to Grand Junction, CO. Grand Junction was mentioned by the Xcel Energy (local utility) as as the next Colorado Supercharger site in Colorado at the Silverthorne ribbon cutting. Farmington to Grand Junction is 219 miles, and gives this route: Hawthorne, CA to Brooklyn, NY via Farmington, Grand Junction, and Mt Rushmore.

As the off-grid Supercharger sites show up like Farmington, we will be able to fill in the dots on Elon's trip. It is interesting that the Supercharger roll out is getting distorted by Elon's trip, but its great for me because the Farmington Supercharger is only 95 miles from my house in Pagosa Springs. Until now the closest was Silverthorne at 237 miles.

Here is a wild stab at what is coming. If you look at the 2015 Supercharger map, there is a Supercharger in Gallup, NM. If I add to that a Supercharger in Grand Junction, CO leaked by the Xcel guy, and the location in Farmington, NM, then if I add one more Supercharger in Ridgeway, CO, I get this map: Gallup, NM to Grand Junction, CO via Farmington and Ridgeway. This has a maximum distance between Superchargers of 132 miles, gets Elon back on the main line with one more Supercharger, and the Ridgeway site adds nice connectivity from I-70 to Telluride and Purgatory ski resorts, as well as summer adventure in Durango, CO.