Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is going to miss its Fall deployment schedule by a lot -- notably, there seems to be nothing whatsoever happening in Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Ontario, which were supposed to have 11 Supercharger sites altogether.

The problem which is happening seems to be that Tesla is moving pretty fast in some states and getting absolutely nowhere in other states. If this continues, the overall Supercharger count kind of doesn't matter -- it won't be a connected network and it won't be possible to make long-distance trips using only Superchargers, because of the "holes". Hopefully eventually the network will be connected up, but at this point I'd bet on 2016 before it is.

Some of the planned locations will probably not be up in time, however others that were not due yet will be up and running.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming that because you don't know of a site being worked on means it indeed isn't being worked on.

What I believe is happening is that Tesla is having a tougher time with getting permits at some locations than others. So they are building them where they can get the permits first instead of delaying the whole network for every permitting delay.

A good example of this is how Worthington, MN is almost complete before Either Eau Claire, WI or Albert Lea, MN even though the map has Worthington after.

Tesla is going to miss its Fall deployment schedule by a lot -- notably, there seems to be nothing whatsoever happening in Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Ontario, which were supposed to have 11 Supercharger sites altogether.

The problem which is happening seems to be that Tesla is moving pretty fast in some states and getting absolutely nowhere in other states. If this continues, the overall Supercharger count kind of doesn't matter -- it won't be a connected network and it won't be possible to make long-distance trips using only Superchargers, because of the "holes". Hopefully eventually the network will be connected up, but at this point I'd bet on 2016 before it is.
Also, the map isn't being updated as they go for what they are learning about future locations.... Flip through and look at Texas for example... Half the dots move from now to the future. There was a plan but it is changing. They aren't worried about updating us every time the plan looks like it is changing because they are more concerned that we get the final output. From my talks with the guys at vacaville, there will be a lot of work done to connect the two coastal runs in the next few months (a lot in SD, Mt, and WI). Once the coasts are connected to each other, most of the country is now connected

Also, look at when vacaville comes online according to the map. It is almost ready now though. The maps are obsolete.

Some of the planned locations will probably not be up in time, however others that were not due yet will be up and running.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming that because you don't know of a site being worked on means it indeed isn't being worked on.

What I believe is happening is that Tesla is having a tougher time with getting permits at some locations than others. So they are building them where they can get the permits first instead of delaying the whole network for every permitting delay.

A good example of this is how Worthington, MN is almost complete before Either Eau Claire, WI or Albert Lea, MN even though the map has Worthington after.

yup. And it's not just permits that are slowing things down. Finding a site, getting the owners/rights holders to to "yes" and negotiating a contract can really delay a project. Scheduling construction crews can add delays as well. I bet in some cases, the first choice site fell through and they had to go back to square one.

Regarding the JFK location: perhaps it will be used by one of the rental car companies on site. Superchargers on site would allow them to turn around a Model S rental in 50 mins. Just speculation. Interesting in learning more about this site.

Ever thought about taxi & limo services serving JFK?
No range anxiety for them now!
a 20 minute break, and they can drive an other 3-4 hours (in city even more)

Ever thought about taxi & limo services serving JFK?
No range anxiety for them now!
a 20 minute break, and they can drive an other 3-4 hours (in city even more)

The Hawthorne supercharger in the Los Angeles area is about approximately six miles from the airport. Practically around the corner. The challenge for car services is the number of people that often queue up to charge at the Hawthorne location.

Nice to see 11 new SC's under construction. Thanks for the wiki map updates. Looks as though the roll out is accelerating!!
Any news on the Edison NJ, SC, GA, and northern Florida locations? Looking forward to CT to Florida trip in February in a 60.
Someone here posted that Edison NJ is under construction, would love an update.

The Hawthorne supercharger in the Los Angeles area is about approximately six miles from the airport. Practically around the corner. The challenge for car services is the number of people that often queue up to charge at the Hawthorne location.
I think car services are a long ways off from using Teslas. Regardless, looks like Hawthorne could use another 6 or 8 SC's. They have room on the opposite side of the parking lot.

I think car services are a long ways off from using Teslas. Regardless, looks like Hawthorne could use another 6 or 8 SC's. They have room on the opposite side of the parking lot.

I kinda disagree.
I do agree, Standard Car Services are a way off.

However, my understanding is there are already at least two Model S limos on Maui, based at one of the major Resorts.

Similarly, a really upscale operation in LA, San Jose, Vegas, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, etc. might decide it would be a huge leap to service their regular customers and other VIPs by picking up and delivering their passengers in MS Style.

I kinda disagree.

However, my understanding is there are already at least two Model S limos on Maui, based at one of the major Resorts.

Similarly, a really upscale operation in LA, San Jose, Vegas, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, etc. might decide it would be a huge leap to service their regular customers and other VIPs by picking up and delivering their passengers in MS Style.
And there is one in very down to earth Portland, OR ;-)

I kinda disagree.

Until Tesla can produce a limo version with more rear headroom, I don't see it happening.

The Supercharger team is only so big and Tesla has to allocate those resources to where they are most needed. Tesla has said they know where to put service centers based on where they have higher regional sales. I would imagine they are using the same data to determine the build priority of SC sites between those regions.

Looks like there's been some additional progress at Gilroy since the last pictures. These were taken yesterday. Charging stands, cables, and ports are installed. Not functional yet, but getting close! Good thing, too. All existing Superchargers were in use and a line was starting when I arrived.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG