Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the Superchargers are coming on-line at a faster and faster rate. With Rapid City, this is two coming on-line this week without being noticed by any of the scouts. If you just look at the confirmed, under-construction sites from Tesla Wiki Superchargers and Supercharger Progress - Tesla Motors Club, you get 11-12 currently under construction sites that we know about. With a rough completion time of 2 months, that supports a new, on-line rate of 6 per month; add to that the ones under the radar. Its getting interesting...:biggrin:

See my suggestion at Tesla Supercharger locations - Discussion - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum to start tracking install dates. Sometimes plotting the installs vs time and the install rate vs time can provide some insight towards extrapolating the future.
As the contractors and power companies have gotten experience putting in SCs, the amount of time from breaking ground to done is looking more like 4-6 weeks. In the Northwest, ADK seems to have it down pat. The Detroit lake charger is almost done and they started the work this month.

Based on the winter 2013 map, I'd bet there is a bunch of activity in Utah along I 15 that we haven't heard about (not many Teslas out that way), along I 85 from Atlanta north and along I 95 from Port Orange to Rocky Mount. Also, expect chargers in Wyoming, South Dakota and Minnesota. The transcontinental route will be happening in the next 3-4 months. I bet they are saving a Utah SC for last in order to do a symbolic golden spike. It would be really cool to have that SC near the original location but it's not really a good site (not near an interstate highway).

@techmaven, This map from the wiki is pretty much what you are asking for. It's just not an official tesla map. I think they don't put a lot of focus on their website. Probably a corporate dysfunction kind of thing.

Yeah, I like that map a lot. I was actually coming from a "Tesla Corporate" officialdom-speak perspective. It's a bit weird that we have to go hunting for supercharger locations, as fun as that can be in some cases. There are many people that will not know about the additional map resources, including many of the press. Further, there is still a difference with official communications from Tesla, as the Tesla's website is still seen as the official public statement of Tesla Motors. As others have noted, the official statements are now ludicrously out of date as certain locations are now open that didn't even have an "under construction" grey dot for Fall 2013.

At some point, Tesla's supercharger web page should end up being a web app instead of having a web designer manually update the images and the entries. Whomever is doing this is obviously unable to keep up, as the real locations are actually different than the original battle plan locations (see the difference in red dots between the maps).

As the contractors and power companies have gotten experience putting in SCs, the amount of time from breaking ground to done is looking more like 4-6 weeks. In the Northwest, ADK seems to have it down pat. The Detroit lake charger is almost done and they started the work this month.

Based on the winter 2013 map, I'd bet there is a bunch of activity in Utah along I 15 that we haven't heard about (not many Teslas out that way), along I 85 from Atlanta north and along I 95 from Port Orange to Rocky Mount. Also, expect chargers in Wyoming, South Dakota and Minnesota. The transcontinental route will be happening in the next 3-4 months. I bet they are saving a Utah SC for last in order to do a symbolic golden spike. It would be really cool to have that SC near the original location but it's not really a good site (not near an interstate highway).

Yes, looking at the map on Teslawiki is illuminating, though it makes the placement of the St. Joseph (MI) charger seem a bit odd; perhaps it suggests a detour up through Detroit for the cross-country trip? The fastest transcontinental route would involve staying on 80/90 through OH and IN (and South Bend obvs. serves that route), but there's not a whole lot to see through there. I-94 is the more interesting drive (and that might be the first time anyone's ever said those words).

I can state with increasing confidence that a SC is opening soon near East Greenwich, RI. Presumably this is off Route 95, just south of Providence and the Providence Airport, serving traffic heading through from Providence/Boston/NYC that will otherwise miss the route 84/90 iMtersection. Not likely to help those living near me inthe boston area, but it will help those traveling to Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts, allowing travel from Anywhere south of Providence (NYC, DC etc) to the outer Cape. Still will require a charge on the Cape end and goodness knows we all need to hound Chargepoint to get some public cargingstations on the Cape (=The EV Void). This station would also be of great help to those heading through Boston to Eastern NH and Maine. I have only one source, but seems solid. Waiting for a fellow Teslonian Rhode Islander to go scout and Corroborate. Would look near intersection of Routes 95 and 4 or Routes 95 and 295, perhaps 95 and route 37. Head out, Thanksgiving Scouts!
I was hoping they'd put one further North, such as in Mansfield, to serve people going to the Cape from West and North of Boston. With that location, it's really going to make the outer Cape a difficult destination even for people coming from the South.

Yes, looking at the map on Teslawiki is illuminating, though it makes the placement of the St. Joseph (MI) charger seem a bit odd; perhaps it suggests a detour up through Detroit for the cross-country trip? The fastest transcontinental route would involve staying on 80/90 through OH and IN (and South Bend obvs. serves that route), but there's not a whole lot to see through there. I-94 is the more interesting drive (and that might be the first time anyone's ever said those words).

I was thinking the same thing. It seems that new Superchagers, not in the original plan, but near the cross-country route are often clues to the Elon spring-break trip routing. Maybe this indicates a routing through Detroit, either because it was part of the original Elon/Kimball route, or symbolic of driving from Tesla-centric California to the origins of the car industry in Detroit.

I also noticed some issues with the Supercharger map today. The dots between "Today" and "Fall 2013" are off. Specifically TX. Its actually easier to see the differences on the website itself.

Tesla Supercharger Map - Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Plus these new MI and SD chargers are within the list below the map but not on the actual map itself. Are those superchargers actually live?

Michigan - St. Joseph Supercharger | Tesla Motors
South Dakota - Rapid City Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Looking into all of this has lead me to discover the wiki site, which I think is great.

http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/

Is there any way to change the structure of the wiki, especially for the construction cones and have them link to a TMC thread about the constructions progress rather than the non-existent Tesla Supercharger page? I think that would be a very cool feature.

Superchargers - Today - 11.26.2013.png
Superchargers - Fall 2013 - 11.26.2013.png

But it hasn't, really--because looking at this route the St. Joseph supercharger serves no purpose.

That route also doesn't appear to be the latest speculation of the LA to Colorado route... Current speculation is LA to Phoenix on I-10, then up to Flagstaff on I-17 (with perhaps a loop up to the Grand Canyon), then East on I-40 to Gallup, NM, then north to Farmington NM (for the visit to Four Corners) and on to the I-80 and on that map...

But it hasn't, really--because looking at this route the St. Joseph supercharger serves no purpose.

But it is on the map, so ya it's accurate...it exist because this is a crazy important travel corridor for people from Chicago, Indiana etc. that map will be much more accurate because it was published in September after they had more deals signed.

That route also doesn't appear to be the latest speculation of the LA to Colorado route... Current speculation is LA to Phoenix on I-10, then up to Flagstaff on I-17 (with perhaps a loop up to the Grand Canyon), then East on I-40 to Gallup, NM, then north to Farmington NM (for the visit to Four Corners) and on to the I-80 and on that map...

If the blue SC locations are from the original map then it appears to be fairly well predictive. It shows the Mauston and Farmington SCs which aren't on the fall 2013 or winter 2014 maps. What I find odd is the departure from interstates in the southwest. I hope they haven't made a major shift just to accommodate Elon's trip.

If the map is accurate, we should watch for superchargers in Kingman and Flagstaff, AZ; Blanding or Monticello and Moab, UT; Grand Junction, CO; Cheyenne (permit already issued) and Lusk, WY; Murdo, SD; Albert Lea, MN; La Crosse and Tomah (replaced by Mauston?), WI; north of Angola, IN; Toledo, near Elyria, and Youngstown, OH; Cranberry Township, Somerset, and Harrisburg, PA.

If the map is accurate, we should watch for superchargers in Kingman and Flagstaff, AZ; Blanding or Monticello and Moab, UT; Grand Junction, CO; Cheyenne (permit already issued) and Lusk, WY; Murdo, SD; Albert Lea, MN; La Crosse and Tomah (replaced by Mauston?), WI; north of Angola, IN; Toledo, near Elyria, and Youngstown, OH; Cranberry Township, Somerset, and Harrisburg, PA.
But then why the Quartzsite location so early on? Still believe I-10 then north is the route. Accomplishes not only the Elon trip but huge demand for Calif to Phoenix trips.

Just stopped by my local Vacaville hook up
IMAG0012.jpg

Everything is installed. There is nothing even marking them non operational. The power will be connected over the next five days. The button on the cord wouldn't open my outlet, so I took that as confirmation of what the clean up landscaping guy told me. He said the crew was there yesterday, but not today, and said to expect the power connection over the next five days add that's what the contract called for, but that it wasn't currently connected. I was gong to buy the crew lunch today too... Oh well. I shouldn't have been so lazy yesterday.
IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Dunno if my pictures are posting from my phone. If not, I'll try when I get home. There were two different signage options marking four spots each. One said 30 minute general parking, the other just said Tesla charging parking.

Just stopped by my local Vacaville hook up

Everything is installed. There is nothing even marking them non operational. The power will be connected over the next five days. The button on the cord wouldn't open my outlet, so I took that as confirmation of what the clean up landscaping guy told me. He said the crew was there yesterday, but not today, and said to expect the power connection over the next five days add that's what the contract called for, but that it wasn't currently connected. I was gong to buy the crew lunch today too... Oh well. I shouldn't have been so lazy yesterday.

Dunno if my pictures are posting from my phone. If not, I'll try when I get home. There were two different signage options marking four spots each. One said 30 minute general parking, the other just said Tesla charging parking.

Thanks so much for the continued updates and the pictures!

Yeah, Milli and I wished we'd treated the Quartzsite installers, too, but too busy, which is not any better excuse than too lazy. Thoughtless might be a better word.

We have asked TM to invite us to the ribbon cutting, assuming they will have one. I hope you can be there for that. We would like to say "Hi" to those near the Voltageville SC area.

TM tells me that there is little chance of a Supercharger in Angwin where I live. What the hey. We live on the main road to Williams / Hwy 5 (if you are going through Clearlake from Napa Valley). There must be 3000 people in this metropolis. Not only do we have Batman, we have BATS! And bears, mountain lions, deer, elk, bobcats, herons, egrets, etc., etc.

Some people just don't understand....

If the blue SC locations are from the original map then it appears to be fairly well predictive. It shows the Mauston and Farmington SCs which aren't on the fall 2013 or winter 2014 maps. What I find odd is the departure from interstates in the southwest. I hope they haven't made a major shift just to accommodate Elon's trip.

Its mostly driven by the fact that there are relatively few North-South Interstates out West. If you want to enable North-South routes, you have to drop off the Interstates...

Here are the N/S Interstates going East from CA to CO:

I-5 -- Spans CA, OR and WA -- from Mexico to Canada.
I-15 -- Starts in San Diego, then goes NE through Vegas to Salt Lake, then N through ID and MT to the Canada border south of Lethbridge, Alberta
I-17 -- One of 2 Interstates that only exist in AZ -- Only goes from Phoenix to Flagstaff (~140 miles)
I-19 -- The other AZ-only Interstate -- Only goes from Nogales to Tucson (~60 miles)
I-25 -- Spans NM, CO and WY -- Starts in Las Cruces, goes through Albuquerque, Denver and Cheyenne.