Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW - looks like the West Coast of Florida is being abandoned. The new supercharger map shows NO superchargers between Ft Myers and one planned at the intersection of I-10 and I-75. This even includes the 2015 map! While I should have no problem getting to the I-10 location from Tampa in my 85, it sure limits options for folks heading south from Georgia and points north. I guess if you have a Tesla and want to travel to Florida from the north, it's gonna be the east coast only.

Two new supercharger locations in Germany were located today:

MAXI Autohof (the chain operator)
D-57234 Wilnsdorf
Elkersberg 2
file.php?id=1942.jpg

(8 stalls)

no construction yet, but confirmed by same property owner:
MAXI Autohof
D-56424 Mogendorf
Im Reimersheck
mogendorf.png

Credits go to mark32 in the TFF Forum Germany supercharger thread. Thanks for updating the wiki map!

edit: In Germany, Autohof is a rest area a bit off the Autobahn and serves both directions.

Last edited:
Bleah.

So the new map confirms that the "Fall 2013" and "Winter 2013" maps are simply not going to be achieved, and that Tesla isn't even trying any more, by abandoning most of the planned Superchargers on them, including ALL the ones which would be useful to me. Some of these are gone *permanently* (nothing in Ann Arbor/Jackson any more). The rest are now expected in "2014", for which I'll read December 31, 2014, which I think is optimistic based on Tesla's past history.

It appears that the company is going to do their best to make Elon's road trip possible, and to hell with everyone else until that's done; not really a great way to do planning, IMHO.

And even in the 2015 plan, it still won't be reliable to drive west from Ithaca into Ohio in midwinter, due to the Buffalo-Cleveland gap being dangerously large for cold-weather range, and lacking even low-speed chargers. (And being a massive detour to start with.)

I eagerly await the 2016 Supercharger plan, which may actually be usable. :frown:

Glad to see your outlook matches your user profile description:
neroden.PNG

For the humor-impaired - I think you are reading a bit much in to intent by divining that an interim map update is clear evidence that "Tesla isn't even trying any more, by abandoning most of the planned Superchargers" and that their attitude is "to hell with everyone else".

There's already reports of a couple of previous planned sites that went missing being added back, so unless you are planning to add "Mind Reader" to your profile description, how about we see how things progress? :wink:

The "Coming Soon" map is obviously based around the idea of trans-continental travel. We've been calling it Elon's trip, which of course is true...but let's not put the cart before the horse. As healthy as Musk's ego is, I am certain these decisions are not being made solely on the basis of providing him a way to get across the country. Rather, it's building a PR tool that will allow Musk to perform the coast-to-coast PR stunt that he's already announced.

Also let's keep in mind that building this network is a fearsomely complex undertaking, given the panoply of local zoning rules across the country. They've done a spectacular job of building out a network in a very short time.

But the "Coming Soon" map suggests a PR stunt bigger than just driving from LA to NY. If you look at it, it's pretty easy to imagine a Miami-to-Seattle run. THAT would be pretty impressive.

The "Coming Soon" map is obviously based around the idea of trans-continental travel. We've been calling it Elon's trip, which of course is true...but let's not put the cart before the horse. As healthy as Musk's ego is, I am certain these decisions are not being made solely on the basis of providing him a way to get across the country. Rather, it's building a PR tool that will allow Musk to perform the coast-to-coast PR stunt that he's already announced.

This. The importance of establishing a coast to coast supercharging network is invaluable to Tesla's long term survival. It may be difficult to remember now, but plenty of people were extremely skeptical of Tesla even making it this far.

The new "coming soon map" is probably for the next few months. Probably reflects the state of the network by April, 2014. I believe the 2014 map is about as reliable as the old winter 2013 map - in other words, subject to a lot of revision as they try to get this done in the field. As a result, I think we, as owners and prospective owners have a lot of input into the process for the later parts of 2014.

I'd like to lobby for a supercharger in Newport News, VA which isn't on the 2015 map. And the I-81 corridor on the western side of VA is completely neglected through 2015 also. I think for Tesla, enabling the largest percentage of owners to traverse the most popular corridors is the almost the most important overarching goal. It is only behind the survival of the company. Therefore our voices and our dollars do weigh a lot at Tesla, so we should definitely lobby for the locations that we desire the most. But the also understand that our own situations has to be balanced with everyone else's.

To that end, it is important to promote L2 charging at hotels and shopping centers as well as a L3 charging standard that our cars can be a part. I think Tesla is going to have a showdown with SAE on the CCS connector, as our Model S's are essentially J1772-DC but without the CCS combo connector. Tesla can argue at some point that the Tesla connector should be the SAE J1772-DC standard head. Right now, it is unlikely that anyone other than Tesla is all that interested in the costs of putting in SAE J1772-DC L3 charging which reflects the proverbial cart before the horse problem. I do think it is a problem, eventually, that putting in J1772 80A service is so expensive and that L3 costs are not just expensive, but extremely expensive. I think Tesla should sell a HWPC with a J1772 head for $1,500. That way government and private money can go a longer way to helping the EV charging infrastructure along.

Last edited:
So now there are two planned sites in Northeast Ohio, presumably one located close to I-80 (Macedonia) and another a bit further north along what seems to be I-90. The poster who was worried about the gap from Buffalo-Cleveland should be happy now, I'd think :)

So now there are two planned sites in Northeast Ohio, presumably one located close to I-80 (Macedonia) and another a bit further north along what seems to be I-90. The poster who was worried about the gap from Buffalo-Cleveland should be happy now, I'd think :)

The nearly overlapping sites in the Cleveland metro area are a bit odd. One would expect a charger closer to Erie, PA, in order to make the run south around Lake Erie doable in the winter. Perhaps Tesla thinks people should just take 401 through Ontario.

Or perhaps the other blip up further north is an alternate in the event that Macedonia balks at granting a variance?

Also let's keep in mind that building this network is a fearsomely complex undertaking, given the panoply of local zoning rules across the country. They've done a spectacular job of building out a network in a very short time.

But the "Coming Soon" map suggests a PR stunt bigger than just driving from LA to NY. If you look at it, it's pretty easy to imagine a Miami-to-Seattle run. THAT would be pretty impressive.

Tesla's original talk was of doing a "Supercharger H" to cover the 48 States. The I-5 and I-95 corridors are doing the sides of that well. To cross the H, I-80 would have been a very simple solution, that pretty closely follows the original "golden stake" railroad route. Even I-15/I-70 or mix that up with an I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80 route and its pretty simple. By using the Elon route (4-corners and Mt Rushmore), Tesla has added probably 30-50% to distance and number of Superchargers. I'm not complaining because this brings Supercharging to my back door in the 4-corners region, but you can probably count the Model S's in the 4-corners area on one hand. Using one of the main routes to "cross the H" would have been simpler and would have brought more utility to more MS owners sooner. This extra effort and lack of initial utility is being driven by the "Elon Route."

Whatever the goals are, the "coming soon" map is a huge undertaking and ramp up. There are currently 37 Superchargers in North America. The "coming soon" map is adding about 50 more (my quick, error-prone count). The first 37 took about a year to build. The next 48 are happening in about 4 months. That is a ramp up from 37/year to 150/year or a 4x increase in install rate. That is a huge increase! :biggrin:

The nearly overlapping sites in the Cleveland metro area are a bit odd. One would expect a charger closer to Erie, PA, in order to make the run south around Lake Erie doable in the winter. Perhaps Tesla thinks people should just take 401 through Ontario.

Or perhaps the other blip up further north is an alternate in the event that Macedonia balks at granting a variance?

They are odd to me also. Would make more sense to me as well if one was near Youngstown and another near Erie, PA.

Whatever the goals are, the "coming soon" map is a huge undertaking and ramp up. There are currently 37 Superchargers in North America. The "coming soon" map is adding about 50 more (my quick, error-prone count). The first 37 took about a year to build. The next 48 are happening in about 4 months. That is a ramp up from 37/year to 150/year or a 4x increase in install rate. That is a huge increase! :biggrin:

Just curious... How does the "coming soon" equate to 4 months? There's nothing stating that all of those superchagers are necessary for Elon's trip.

Just curious... How does the "coming soon" equate to 4 months? There's nothing stating that all of those superchagers are necessary for Elon's trip.

Informed Speculation...

Almost 40 of those 50 are on the Elon transcontinental route. Several more complete the I-95 corridor up and down the east coast. Even if all Elon does is his transcontinental route, being able to talk about having Superchargers up and down the east and west coasts, as well as the transcontinental route that he just completed with his family of 6 in the car is huge PR.

Therefore, I am speculating that most, if not all, of this "coming soon" map will happen before the Elon trip, or in about 4 months. :wink:

I wonder how many Superchargers are under construction that no one knows about???

I just discovered another.....Blanding, UT under construction near the Visitor Center.

I believe many Superchargers we do not know about are in relatively low population dense areas (Population of Blanding, UT is 3,500 - Population of Macedonia, OH is 11,500), and there are not as many Model S owners (or TMC members) close enough to frequently scout the area.

The Blanding, UT supercharger location was approved on September 11th and was scheduled to be completed by end of October: Public Notice Website

Population of Blandon, UT:
city of blandon ut population - Google Search

Population of Macedonia, OH:

I'm not set on Manteca. I just want something, anything, along the 5 between Harris Ranch and Folsom. Ideally it would be closer to the freeway than either Manteca or Tracy. My concern is that there is now nothing on the SC plans going out to 2015.

Agreed! I am disappointed that the revised map out to 2015 shows nothing in that area. It is an obvious hole that needs to be filled to serve the SF Nay Area owner population and the heavily travelled north/south I5 corridor. I hope Tesla is listening...

I believe many Superchargers we do not know about are in relatively low population dense areas (Population of Blanding, UT is 3,500 - Population of Macedonia, OH is 11,500), and there are not as many Model S owners (or TMC members) close enough to frequently scout the area.

The Blanding, UT supercharger location was approved on September 11th and was scheduled to be completed by end of October: Public Notice Website

Population of Blandon, UT:

Population of Macedonia, OH:

I live just down the road from Macedonia and I will be checking frequently :)

It does look like a pretty serious downward revision to the Supercharger network which seems unfortunate. I'd hoped the network would be expanded enough to really allow travel reasonably comparable to an ICE, but apparently that's not the goal except for a few major routes. For example, I don't see how visiting many rural areas will be practical unless the driver is willing to do things like sit in a campground for 8 hours.

Big changes to the supercharger network in Michigan. We just received our first in St. Joseph and had our hopes high for few more.

- Deployment time has changed for most of the chargers. I don't think so we will get any more before spring 2014.
- Total number has decreased from 10 to 8.
- Jackson and Marshall now dropped. I think there is a big mistake here. This will be very difficult for people traveling from Detroit to Chicago, as the distance is almost 180 miles to St. Joseph. I agree these two were very close, but atleast one was essential for cross-state travel. The distance is even more for people traveling from Canada to Chicago. Nearest charger in Canada is in Chatham. This makes it virtually impossible for a 60 kWh to travel from Detroit/Canada to Chicago.
- Angola, IN now replaces Marshall on the same route. People may have to travel through Angola, IN to reach Chicago from Detroit. More toll to reach Chicago now.
- I see 2 overlapping dots in NE Ohio, it makes sense to me esp. if they are spaced on different corridors (see below for explanation). I welcome a charger in Cleveland and I can think about travel to Buffalo to visit friends. One thing I always wondered in Tesla's original map. I hope there is a superchargers in Youngstown (on the map) and Erie (not on the map). These 2 are different and non-overlapping corridors [Cleveland-Erie-Buffalo (I-90) & Cleveland-Youngstown-Pittsburgh (I-80)], I think both deserve a supercharger. Distance from Cleveland to Buffalo is 200 miles, and current plan makes it impossible for a 60 kWh to do the distance without stopping in between. It will also be difficult for an 85 kWh to do the distance in winter conditions.

This teaches us, nothing is final and it is an evolving plan. I hope Tesla revises their plan once again to facilitate above mentioned travel. I don't think it is a good idea to plan superchargers more than 130 miles away in cold states.

Last edited: