Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photos of San Juan Capistrano (sorry it was early)

photo 4.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1 (1).JPG

I wanted to mention on this thread (it has already elsewhere been stated) that, though having vanished from the map,the Ridgecrest and Bishop Superchargers on California 395, are still to be built. Tesla responded to an email I sent that they were accidentally omitted from the map, but they are still considered a priority.

I think there's also the whole question of perspective.

Is the future for pure electric vehicles going to be like the past, that is requiring lots of compromises and careful planning for any trip out of the ordinary, or is it going to be much more like the ICE experience where it's reasonable to go most places without extraordinary effort. By extraordinary effort, I mean things like having to sit in a campground for several hours when you're trying to get somewhere, or leaving the car plugged in for two days on 110V. I've no doubt that a lot of people are more than happy with the first version of the future, but I'm also pretty sure that's not going to be a viable offering for the vast majority of people. With the current Supercharger plans, while it may be possible to go many places, most people will consider many trip scenarios quite inconvenient.

IMHO the new supercharger map seems to imply that Tesla is backing off from making travel to most places convenient as opposed to possible. I'd hoped that with their success at selling cars they'd expand the Supercharger network plans rather than contract them.

You left out the patience part. We all need both patience and perspective. I would not favor bankrupting Tesla just to have the entire country covered with Superchargers on every possible remote road in a couple months' time. It takes time (and money) to permit and construct these, and I commend Tesla for the progress it has made over the past six months. I don't see some grand, nefarious intent to back off rolling out Superchargers just because they roll out a new map that apparently has a whole bunch of omissions that Tesla has reportedly said are not intentional and are errors. I'm not on the inside, but in general, Superchargers have to be a great marketing tool for the company, so why would they scale back the rollout in some material fashion, something that shorts and FUD'rs and skeptics will claim is a sign of the Company's impending doom and an admission of failure? The answer is it is highly unlikely that there is any plan to scale them back.

In time, I'm sure we'll see these in more places off the beaten path. In the meantime, Tesla never promised it would have every last nook and cranny covered with Superchargers by 2014 or 2015. They did promise them in strategic places to make longer roadtrips possible, and Tesla has delivered on that promise and continues to do so. For those out of the way places where Superchargers just aren't there, it will still require an overnight and access to a slower means of travel (or a couple of hours more and dual chargers if you have them). I have done that overnight charging thing (although that location is now covered by a Supercharger so I wouldn't need to do the overnight charge again). And if that's the small inconvenience that would allow me to take the car to some remote spot and not have to stop at as a gas station, I will gladly do that time and again. I need to sleep when I travel, and if that's when the car needs to charge at some Level II at 30A, that's fine with me.

All of this reminds me of the doubters who thought ICE cars would never work because you'd need to build an entire network of service stations across the country, and that was just too much to imagine for a lot of people. It just takes a little bit of time to build out the infrastructure. It cannot be done overnight.

We all need both patience and perspective. I would not favor bankrupting Tesla just to have the entire country covered with Superchargers on every possible remote road in a couple months' time. It takes time (and money) to permit and construct these, and I commend Tesla for the progress it has made over the past six months. I don't see some grand, nefarious intent to back off rolling out Superchargers just because they roll out a new map that apparently has a whole bunch of omissions that Tesla has reportedly said are not intentional and are errors. I'm not on the inside, but in general, Superchargers have to be a great marketing tool for the company, so why would they scale back the rollout in some material fashion, something that shorts and FUD'rs and skeptics will claim is a sign of the Company's impending doom and an admission of failure? The answer is it is highly unlikely that there is any plan to scale them back.

Indeed... well put.

Bleah.

So the new map confirms that the "Fall 2013" and "Winter 2013" maps are simply not going to be achieved, and that Tesla isn't even trying any more, by abandoning most of the planned Superchargers on them, including ALL the ones which would be useful to me. Some of these are gone *permanently* (nothing in Ann Arbor/Jackson any more). The rest are now expected in "2014", for which I'll read December 31, 2014, which I think is optimistic based on Tesla's past history.

It appears that the company is going to do their best to make Elon's road trip possible, and to hell with everyone else until that's done; not really a great way to do planning, IMHO.

And even in the 2015 plan, it still won't be reliable to drive west from Ithaca into Ohio in midwinter, due to the Buffalo-Cleveland gap being dangerously large for cold-weather range, and lacking even low-speed chargers. (And being a massive detour to start with.)

I eagerly await the 2016 Supercharger plan, which may actually be usable. :frown:

So, putting aside what has been reported numerous times in the past day that the "new" maps have a number of unintentional omissions and the maps -- both new and old -- are basically subject to change in terms of locations and timing, there is an upside to Tesla focusing on the cross-country route, even when that means rolling out SCs in remote places with little daily use. There is a considerable PR benefit of having this cross-country, East-West route open. Although I doubt I will ever get within 500 miles of the Rapid City SC in my MS, the added PR and attention created by the possibility of driving across the country (something I have no intention of doing again after having done it last 20 years ago) will probably drive more sales and in turn, create funds for, among other things, more Superchargers. No doubt people on the inside who are studying when and where are factoring in the additional sales and revenue that are likely to be generated over the long-term from these psychologically significant routes.

In addition to the psychological impact of "I can drive cross country in this thing!", Tesla also now has a pretty significant set of metrics they've been able to gather via the built in telemetry that the superchargers have.

I'm sure that in addition to driving those cool flat panel displays at their headquarters sites outlining energy usage and charge totals, that data is being sliced and diced in conjunction with sales data... and perhaps even GPS location data from the cars themselves (although I have no knowledge one way or the other regarding their actually collecting such).

With a significant base of cars sold (20,000+) and the associated demographics of the owners, the millions of miles driven, the likely 10's of thousands of supercharging sessions, etc... they have a pretty solid set of data now nearly a year and a half after they started shipping cars, and over a year after unveiling the superchargers.

If they didn't start revamping their plans with the best available data, I'd be surprised. Also, given the experience they now have with how much red tape may be associated with getting a site built in different jurisdictions, it wouldn't surprise me at all for them to scale back announcements and add gradually as plans firm up, and new sites are selected as new data is accumulated. Especially with the reactions of some folks when original schedules weren't always hit... we are already seeing evidence of that in the new map that uses time frames of "soon", rather than specific date ranges.

The super charger plan easily has to have been in the works for 2-3 years... to not expect some adjustment as real-world data is collected is probably unrealistic.