Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW:
when I lived up north I always kept one of those folding shovels in my trunk, never needed it but that along with some salt can sometimes get you moving

Most places where you need traction, kitty litter or sand is more effective in the short term than salt. Kitty litter has provided traction and saved me from a long night more than once.

If I were doing a Supercharger trip into possible winter storm weather, I will carry a shovel, kitty litter, and call the Supercharger control center before I started the trip and at each stop to check the status of the next Supercharger.

Thanks. I've been confused. What is snow? ;-)

Oh, pick me! Pick Me! I can answer that!

It's that stuff that the entire USA* OTHER THAN ALASKA is covered with. AK is having its warmest, slushiest winter in history. But then...that topic prolly belongs in the "Global Warming" discussion.....

*Yeah. And Arizona.

I'd feel bad responding but with all the talk of snow I don't feel so :)

Thanks for the tip, I did just that.

Websense responded:

The following site you submitted has been reviewed and assigned the following category:

Superchargers - Vehicles

Categorization updates should be reflected in the next scheduled database publication, and will be available shortly to Real-Time Updates subscribers.

Thank you for your inquiry,

And the site is no longer blocked at work :), this is faster than working through my IT department!

For wrong Websense blocks, just go to Websense.com and find their contact email - tell them about the wrong category and they'll fix it. It might take a day or two, but they'll fix the database which your company will then get an update for quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also,

Reported on the TM forum:

4 Superchargers being installed at Park Meadows Mall in south metro Denver, Co!

and

St George, Utah is in the permitting process

Normally if I can't find something positive to say, I remain silent....however, now that I have charged at 5 superchargers, I feel obligated to share a few observations.
None of these five locations had been maintained as far as snow removal is concerned. We spent $150 to be winched out of chargers at Angola. Called Tesla and the young man I spoke with reported that snow removal is responsibility of landlord. Perfect, now even the venerated Tesla staff is into the "not my job attitude"

As in so many of the instances we've heard about here on TMC, who you happen to talk to at Tesla counts for a lot (who was it who said 'They don't have a manual'?). When John and Jill were on their transcontinental, Superchargers-only trip they arrived late at night at a Supercharger that was inaccessible due to unplowed snow. The Tesla rep they reached on the phone told them to go get some sleep, and he'd see what he could do. The next morning, they found the Superchargers had been plowed and were able to charge and continue on their way.

Most places where you need traction, kitty litter or sand is more effective in the short term than salt. Kitty litter has provided traction and saved me from a long night more than once.

If I were doing a Supercharger trip into possible winter storm weather, I will carry a shovel, kitty litter, and call the Supercharger control center before I started the trip and at each stop to check the status of the next Supercharger.

When I drove a RAV4EV, our list complained about the dirty charging paddles. Someone suggested bringing along a rag and some ArmourAll for cleaning it up.

I think the same thing here. All these people carrying shovels. You've got an hour to charge your car. Can you spend part of it shoveling the driveway? Then the next person would have access to the charger!

Sorry for that blatantly obvious hint. It's just the way I was brought up. Clean up the mess. Doesn't matter who left it.

When I drove a RAV4EV, our list complained about the dirty charging paddles. Someone suggested bringing along a rag and some ArmourAll for cleaning it up.

I think the same thing here. All these people carrying shovels. You've got an hour to charge your car. Can you spend part of it shoveling the driveway? Then the next person would have access to the charger!

Sorry for that blatantly obvious hint. It's just the way I was brought up. Clean up the mess. Doesn't matter who left it.
Thanks roblab for the excellent post. I agree with you 100%.

Nice one, Roblab. It gives me another idea: if SpC landlords could be persuaded to provide appropriate trash containers strategically located*, I'd try to browbeat as many chargers as I could to perform litter pickup whilst charging. Were this to catch on, it could be an effective and d*mned near slam-dunk way to have the Tesla community earn brownie points wrt any particular landlord. I'm definitely going to bring it up to the Wickenburg Town Manager for its upcoming SpC installation.

*I know first-hand how in some places, a bear-nekked trash container is an open invitation for someone to, say, rid his whole household's trash for free. So - incorporating it into the transformer's fencing, for example, or some other way to make it less than in-your-face conspicuous.

Disclaimer: The only SpC I've so far visited has been Quartzsite's. I can vouch that it needs some litter patrolling.

How would people get snowed in at a Supercharger? I can understand being snowed out, but not snowed in.

Sadly, it seems that putting 24 hour facilities at non-24-hour locations is going to cause some problems, at least initially. I would agree that a shovel will be essential for Northerners.

I believe the issue was that the driver had to be towed out of the SC site due to being snowed in. Out or in, it is not really a big difference.

As in so many of the instances we've heard about here on TMC, who you happen to talk to at Tesla counts for a lot (who was it who said 'They don't have a manual'?). When John and Jill were on their transcontinental, Superchargers-only trip they arrived late at night at a Supercharger that was inaccessible due to unplowed snow. The Tesla rep they reached on the phone told them to go get some sleep, and he'd see what he could do. The next morning, they found the Superchargers had been plowed and were able to charge and continue on their way.

Good point. Now that's what I call great service. If only it were consistent.