Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it went down like this:

Tesla has a lease with landlord that states it's the landlords opinion.
landlord has a contract with xyz pplowing
xyz plowing has a priority list that has parking lots last, and they rent done with highways yet...
Everyone has fulfilled their obligations..

tesla employee receives the call and explains that the responsibility is the land lords
Because he knows it wont help the customer out immediately, the employee doesn't think to tell customer that after the call he will push the issue up the chain
employee pushes the issue, but customer doesn't realize it.

sometimes timing and circumstances aren't perfect. The best we can do is prep ourselves for what we reasonably might encounter. Prince might want an elephant delivered to his house in Minnesota in the middle of winter, but that doesn't mean it's possible.

- a Minnesota boy

Folks, is it just me, or are we hitting a lull in new SC construction? I've scanned several of the wiki's, and after the massive expansion these last 2 months, in comparison, the upcoming sites seem very few. Do you think will see a return of that momentum any time soon? Quite a few sites will have to come on-line to meet the 2014 map. Perhaps we'll see a big push and the end of the year again?

Folks, is it just me, or are we hitting a lull in new SC construction? I've scanned several of the wiki's, and after the massive expansion these last 2 months, in comparison, the upcoming sites seem very few. Do you think will see a return of that momentum any time soon? Quite a few sites will have to come on-line to meet the 2014 map. Perhaps we'll see a big push and the end of the year again?

It would be nice to see a big push in the early spring so that there will be SCs available for this year's vacations. I don't expect much to be happening in February though.

It would be nice to see a big push in the early spring so that there will be SCs available for this year's vacations. I don't expect much to be happening in February though.

Now that the first coast to coast route is done, I would expect most of the new work to be done in the south, during the remaining winter months (other than a couple left on the northern route).

I would also expect less warning of superchargers appearing as fewer people are looking.
Here in MN we have two more scheduled for this year. While I am eager to see them, I am not scanning local papers and searching for permits and mention of Tesla in city council meetings.

I expect I am not the only one.

How would people get snowed in at a Supercharger? I can understand being snowed out, but not snowed in.

Sadly, it seems that putting 24 hour facilities at non-24-hour locations is going to cause some problems, at least initially. I would agree that a shovel will be essential for Northerners.

Certainly does not solve the problem but it will be better when the solar panel canopies are installed. You will still have blowing snow but less to plow and certainly better conditions for the Model S owner.

I'm with you, I10 from Jacksonville FLA to Houston TX should be a high priority, then a another north south route like I75 and I35 would be good

Well, their map suggests East Coast, ON-QC, West to East connections this year dealing with major metropolitan areas and then filling in 2015, but even 2015 doesn't cover some N-S, so maybe they're just up in the air.

Yes there appears to be a lull. I read somewhere that they are going to make some changes to the stands with a lighted logo. It would make them easier to see at night.

It would also be a good time to look at the 74 locations on line and say what did they do right and what did they do wrong in those 74. In other words how to make the next group even better. For example I think they should do more solar canopies, sooner rather than later. Thoughts ?

It would also be a good time to look at the 74 locations on line and say what did they do right and what did they do wrong in those 74. In other words how to make the next group even better. For example I think they should do more solar canopies, sooner rather than later. Thoughts ?

I'm thinking it's more important to get as many locations as possible in as short a time as possible. Sure, I'd like to see solar canopies as long as it doesn't slow down the overall number of openings per month.

Yes there appears to be a lull. I read somewhere that they are going to make some changes to the stands with a lighted logo. It would make them easier to see at night.

Compared to the complete frenzy that occurred in December and January to accomplish the cross-country path, Agreed, there appears to be some sort of momentary lull in:
** completion and opening of several SpC locations that are under construction (Cranberry, Las Vegas, San Juan Capistrano, Greenwich, CT, Buckeye, AZ, etc...)
** identification and reporting of new SpC locations by TMC members (gotta get the scouts out on the roads!)

(Perhaps we have been spoiled to expect 23 or 24 NEW Superchargers a month)
But is sure is nice to have them.:biggrin:

Agreed, perhaps it would be an excellent time to review the ENTIRE SpC process to date:
** which new potential partnerships TM might want to develop
** Identify the best and worst part(s) of the City and local review boards and permitting (Macedonia, OH and Edison, NJ come to mind)
** which contractors worked the best under the worst conditions, which contractors performed, which contractors under-performed
** manufacturing and shipping of all the electrical components
** possibly begin the updating of some of the 90kWh Supercharger cabinets
** Finish existing projects with 120 kWh Superchargers
** Introduce new 135 kWh Superchargers ==>>(I understand the larger diameter wires used to be one of the reasons for the larger Charging Pylon with the lighted logo).
** update all facets of engineering in order to accomplish the above (including conduit sizes)
** update Civil Engineering in order to provide extra space inside fences for additional electrical equipment
** update Civil Engineering in order to provide footings for future roofs and solar panels

I do Disagree about the timing for solar panels. I agree 100% with Jerry33, "get as many standard SpC installations built and opened, in as short a time as possible".
IMO, The total numbers of Superchargers to create a bona fide SpC network is much more critical to TM overall success than implementation of Solar Panels (at this time).

Including Solar Panels now would:
** dilute the energies from approval and permitting for each site
** add significant time to construction of each site, piers, erection, permitting, inspections, extra equipment manufacturing and installation)
** add significant money/cost of each site
** perhaps add to size of equipment inside fence

Phase 2 (after the initial Network of Superchargers is built) could implement retro-fitting Solar Panel panels and associated equipment to the appropriate sites.

Compared to the complete frenzy that occurred in December and January to accomplish the cross-country path, Agreed, there appears to be some sort of momentary lull in:
** completion and opening of several SpC locations that are under construction (Cranberry, Las Vegas, San Juan Capistrano, Greenwich, CT, Buckeye, AZ, etc...)
** identification and reporting of new SpC locations by TMC members (gotta get the scouts out on the roads!)

(Perhaps we have been spoiled to expect 23 or 24 NEW Superchargers a month)
But is sure is nice to have them.:biggrin:

Agreed, perhaps it would be an excellent time to review the ENTIRE SpC process to date:
** which new potential partnerships TM might want to develop
** Identify the best and worst part(s) of the City and local review boards and permitting (Macedonia, OH and Edison, NJ come to mind)
** which contractors worked the best under the worst conditions, which contractors performed, which contractors under-performed
** manufacturing and shipping of all the electrical components
** possibly begin the updating of some of the 90kWh Supercharger cabinets
** Finish existing projects with 120 kWh Superchargers
** Introduce new 135 kWh Superchargers ==>>(I understand the larger diameter wires used to be one of the reasons for the larger Charging Pylon with the lighted logo).
** update all facets of engineering in order to accomplish the above (including conduit sizes)
** update Civil Engineering in order to provide extra space inside fences for additional electrical equipment
** update Civil Engineering in order to provide footings for future roofs and solar panels

I do Disagree about the timing for solar panels. I agree 100% with Jerry33, "get as many standard SpC installations built and opened, in as short a time as possible".
IMO, The total numbers of Superchargers to create a bona fide SpC network is much more critical to TM overall success than implementation of Solar Panels (at this time).

Including Solar Panels now would:
** dilute the energies from approval and permitting for each site
** add significant time to construction of each site, piers, erection, permitting, inspections, extra equipment manufacturing and installation)
** add significant money/cost of each site
** perhaps add to size of equipment inside fence

Phase 2 (after the initial Network of Superchargers is built) could implement retro-fitting Solar Panel panels and associated equipment to the appropriate sites.

I have to admit that on first blush, delaying the solar panel installation seems to make sense except that the Supercharger installation teams are, likely, not the same as the SolarCity installation teams.

IF that is the case, then there is NO reason to delay the solar panel installation except that Tesla only spent ~$150,000 on electricity for the entire fleet of Model S last year.

That's the cost of a single solar installation.

There is no monetary driver, YET, for the solar installation, but the sooner Tesla can say "We offer free, renewable charging forever with zero tailpipe emissions and zero carbon footprint" the stronger their "story".

My $.02

Has anyone seen any new covers outside of Hawthorne?

Yes. I was there last week for my first ever SC visit. The cover is really cool looking (I can't recall whether or not there was more than 1). There are also other SC cords that are hidden in really skinny poles. You push a button and a door slides open. Sorry, no pics of either.

I think it would be really cool if Tesla would sell these covers for home use. Insert your UMC or HPWC. Right now, their only option for home cable management is that cheap hose-like holder option.

IF that is the case, then there is NO reason to delay the solar panel installation except that Tesla only spent ~$150,000 on electricity for the entire fleet of Model S last year.
Where'd you get that number from?

The demand charges alone for your typical SuperCharger setup in California are a significant fraction of that number. Tesla is probably paying close to twice that currently on a monthly basis. In other words, that number is low by around a factor of 10.

Demand charges will run anywhere from $5-20 / kW depending on time of year and utility. A high volume SuperCharger with 8 stalls (4 SC cabinets capable of 120kW+ each) and each location is very likely to peak over 400 kW at least once a month (100 kW demand charge per SC cabinet / month).

That's a demand charge of $2,000-8,000 / month, or $24-96k. Per SuperCharger location.

And that does not include energy charges (another $0.02-0.08 / kWh depending on time of year/day and utility).

Tesla has around 60 SC locations now with appx 500 plugs (about 250 SC cabinets). Assuming an average demand charge of $10/kW Tesla is already paying $250k/month on demand charges. And don't forget energy charges, too.

There's a lot of incentive to install solar PV with grid storage. Tesla's utility load is just about ideal for the combination (Super peaky, with peak demand in the late afternoon when demand and electricity charges are highest).

Yes. I was there last week for my first ever SC visit. The cover is really cool looking (I can't recall whether or not there was more than 1). There are also other SC cords that are hidden in really skinny poles. You push a button and a door slides open. Sorry, no pics of either.

I think it would be really cool if Tesla would sell these covers for home use. Insert your UMC or HPWC. Right now, their only option for home cable management is that cheap hose-like holder option.

Sorry I meant has anyone seen the covers at another location yet. It seems that all of the pictures we have for the under construction locations still have the old covers. Just curious if these covers are only at Hawthorne for the time being.

Sorry I meant has anyone seen the covers at another location yet. It seems that all of the pictures we have for the under construction locations still have the old covers. Just curious if these covers are only at Hawthorne for the time being.

I'd be surprised if tesla ever deployed those pole/support-beam based cord covers ever again. The doors on those covers are really wonky. They don't seem to work half the time. I've used them a number of times. I can't remember if Tejon Ranch has them or not (solar canopy is there also). I guess I'll need to pull up pics.

UPDATE. Tejon Ranch has them also. Old pic below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 470
Last edited: