Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are multiple Superchargers in London because garage parking is uncommon in the city. Elon said that SCs would be built in cities where off street residential parking was limited.
Yes, this makes more sense than trying to figure out Tesla-density.

After all, Paxson Alaska has the highest such datum in the universe, at one Model S for every four inhabitants. And the chances of our ever receiving a Supercharger....uh, yeah.

Yes, this makes more sense than trying to figure out Tesla-density.

After all, Paxson Alaska has the highest such datum in the universe, at one Model S for every four inhabitants. And the chances of our ever receiving a Supercharger....uh, yeah.

34 States of the U.S. now have Superchargers with 1 under construction in Louisiana, that will be 35 soon. I am guessing that Alaska and Hawaii will be late in getting Superchargers, so lets just look at the contiguous 48. 14 going to 13 states without Superchargers in the contiguous 48. Idaho, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kentucky, and Alabama seem like they are imminent. That will leave 7 states to go in the contiguous 48. All 48 look like they are on the 2015 map for whatever good that is...

Which state will be last to get a Supercharger, North Dakota, Arkansas...?

London has a significant daily car tax. I believe it's to reduce congestion. Having said that, are there EV incentives in the city? That alone would increase EV sales.

It's called the Congestion Charge.

London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you've been to London you'll know they need one, but the problem is that with efficient diesels and diesel taxis also exempt (and the taxis very often delete their DPFs because they don't function well in congestion), and many old diesel buses and other commercial vehicles operating it's not that helpful, to the point that London's mayor is looking to add additional charges for Euro 5 and older vehicles.

Back on topic: until such time as the market is clearly and permanently electrifying you're not going to see any mass installation of residential on-street charging infrastructure and they'll need some urban Superchargers in cities.

One of the Atlanta Tesla owners was lent the Chademo adapter by Tesla but needs to return it after his use. Hopefully these start to get delivered soon seeing that they have packaging and everything for the units.

Untitled.png

Clarification on my prior post. I was talking in the next few years (say until 2016 or 2017).

I meant 600 worldwide SuperChargers in the next 2-3 years. Of course in 5-10 years its likely there will be thousands of SCs worldwide, but just because there is an interstate in the middle of nowhere with low traffic it doesn't mean tesla want to put SCs there before 2020ish.

I think after Tesla filled the midwest gaps connecting TX east, north and west, connecting Atlanta to Chicago plus San Fran with Denver and Seattle with Chicago plus filling upstate NY with a dozen SCs the focus will be on major upgrades of SCs where big Model S/X business is happening.

I think Tesla is on the verge of major uptick in Model S demand for Limo/Uber/Cab service. As long as SCs coverage is available, high milleage MS is much cheaper over a 5 year period than a ICE or a hybrid. Drive 250k miles and the full cost of the MS might be paid off in gas/maintenance savings alone. So I think there will be some deals worth thousands of MS for Limo/Uber/Cab service in exchange for Tesla installing a few SCs in each city where the MS will be operated. And its the best way to help the environment, selling a MS to be driven 10-20k miles / yr doesn't save much oil, the best usage for a MS is 100k miles / yr and up.

I have nothing against those that buy a MS and don't drive a lot. If you have the money and the interest, by all means, support Tesla. But it would be much more in the interest of the environment to sell Teslas for high milleage instead. Win-win. Until there is enough Li-Ion supply and Tesla is building 2000/wk and up in Model S+X alone.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say Alaska.
Hawaii doesn't have a supercharger yet cause they aren't very necessary there. Even a 60 can drive around Oahu or Maui (full circle around the island) on a single charge. Kona is larger, but its the least populated island. Plus cars don't migrate between islands (I think there is no ferry service between the islands). No range anxiety except maybe in Kona. They can probably get away with 3 SCs for Hawaii even in the long run (1 or 2 for Oahu, 1 for Maui, Molokai too small, Kona very low popullation density).
But still Alaska is likely to come last. Tesla market for Hawaii likely much bigger than Alaska.

So this was posted in the Harris Ranch thread, but rather than taking the discussion further off topic, I decided to post here. SpC count in various cities:

WTF? What the heck is London doing with 5! Superchargers? Half the worldwide density of MS is in California and we will soon only have 2 SpC in LA while London has 5. What's the reason for that? Apartment dwellers that don't have access to charging points? Ok, maybe, but what about 4 chargers in Chicago? Don't see any logic in these numbers.

Apache,

Thanks for moving this over. I am strongly convinced that cities are a question of when, not IF, they will get Supercharger coverage. Many have batted this around, but TM will use city charging as a lever. They already do this where street parking is the norm or where garage parking is spotty.

Yep, fair enough. London makes sense. But Chicago with 4 SpC? Sorry that's way over their allotment.

The 4 Superchargers are not all in the city proper. Only 1, the supercharger at the Grand Avenue Service center, is inside the city. The others are not. The one in Highland Park is on I-94 going to Wisconsin. The one in Aurora is on the I-88 going to Iowa. The one that just opened at Country Club Hills is on the Junction of I-57 and I-80. They are all at least 330 miles of the city.

Also, similar to London, there is a lot of very expensive real estate in Chicago (luxury condos in high-rises) without assigned parking spaces or where condo associations refuse to put charges in the parking area. Thus the need for Superchargers in the city.

- - - Updated - - -

The 4 Superchargers are not all in the city proper. Only 1, the supercharger at the Grand Avenue Service center, is inside the city. The others are not. The one in Highland Park is on I-94 going to Wisconsin. The one in Aurora is on the I-88 going to Iowa. The one that just opened at Country Club Hills is on the Junction of I-57 and I-80. They are all at least 330 miles of the city.

Also, similar to London, there is a lot of very expensive real estate in Chicago (luxury condos in high-rises) without assigned parking spaces or where condo associations refuse to put charges in the parking area. Thus the need for Superchargers in the city.

oops...type... I meant at least 30 miles from the city....

Yep, fair enough. London makes sense. But Chicago with 4 SpC? Sorry that's way over their allotment.

The superchargers around the city are mostly located for travel AROUND Chicago, not for local charging - the one in Aurora is to help traffic to/from Iowa; the one in Highland Park is for those travelling from Wisconsin; the newest one in the south allows travel on I-80 around the city. Only the one downtown would be what you could consider to be a local site.

edit
Oops - looks like I was duplicating Nicoletta's post...

Last edited:
The one in Aurora is kind of off the beaten path to Iowa though. I know Aurora quite well and it's nowhere near I-88. It's on the north end of the downtown core. You would have to get off of I-88 (a toll road) at Rt. 31, go south a bit to Sullivan Rd., and cross over the Fox river to Rt. 25, then go south a little over 2 miles to the Superchargers. I think the location has to do with the two owners of of the Two Brother's restaurant where the Superchargers are located each having a Model S (or so I've heard).

aurora supercharger.jpg

Last edited: