Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Takes Tug-of-War With Ford to Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla showed a video during the Cybertruck unveiling event of the all electric pickup dragging a Ford F-150 in a tug-of-war. Ford has called the video absurd.

Some challenged the fairness of the video. In fact, scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson chimed in with a suggestion, saying it would be more fair to have the trucks compete while loaded. 

Ford VP Sunny Madra also tweeted to suggest that Tesla give Ford a Cybertruck for an “apples to apples” comparison. Musk replied, “Bring it on.”

Unfortunately, Ford’s press office quickly shut down the possibility of a towing match between the Cybertruck and F-150 with a statement:

Sunny’s tweet was tongue in cheek to point out the absurdity of Tesla’s video, nothing more.With America’s best-selling truck for 42 years, we’ve always focused on serving our truck customers regardless of what others say or do. We look forward to our all-new F-150 hybrid coming next year and all-electric F-150 in a few years.

Seems like the best way for Ford to show the absurdity of the video is to line up with their best rig and prove it can defeat the Tesla. If they won’t do it, it will be interesting to see if Musk organizes another tug-off to show the Cybertruck’s toughness.

Because, as he said during the unveiling, “You want a truck that’s really tough, not fake tough.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Understand your point. To your point, there's a difference between testing to see which vehicle implements traction control better (for example), vs testing in a commercial sense (my language: perhaps someone else has a better phrase). Note that testing in a commercial sense doesn't try to equalize the vehicles, or equalize the conditions, but seeks to establish which vehicle gives the better performance/value for the money at rated conditions. If one vehicle enjoys an "unfair advantage" because it's designed radically differently, so be it. Tough nuts to the loser...he can always improve his design to improve value.
True, I'm really more interested in Ford's electric answer to Tesla as a better comparison. I love the competition this is bringing out in Chevrolet too, can't wait to see which truck will actually tow 14000 lbs any significant distance at 75 mph. I really want to see a tow rating along side the eco/perfect condition EPA ratings.

I will replace my last ICE with one of the three that come out. My wife says no to Tesla's looks, we will see.

Original post was focusing on a lab setting, my second post ("To be fair, to do exactly what I'm saying outside a lab setting, would prove difficult by the average consumer, but a responsible attempt by an unbiased test between the two trucks") really meant to address that a real world test would need to be close to be fair. Maybe not to their respective max load ratings, but a load that effectively made the rear axle loaded the same is a better way to say it. I guess we could test it both ways to see which would be more capable depending on if max load or whether equivalent axle loading is more appropriate.
I agree that price point is typically the way vehicles are compared, but I'm not sure that will be enough here due to radically different way the vehicles are designed and will operate.

it would seem odd to sell a Ford by saying “Just throw 1000 lbs in the back and it can pull like a Tesla.” It would seem wildly inconvenient to do so a regular basis. Why does a truck’s capabilities matter if I have to modify it to get those results. Compare comparable stock trucks and be done.

True, I'm really more interested in Ford's electric answer to Tesla as a better comparison. I love the competition this is bringing out in Chevrolet too, can't wait to see which truck will actually tow 14000 lbs any significant distance at 75 mph. I really want to see a tow rating along side the eco/perfect condition EPA ratings.

I will replace my last ICE with one of the three that come out. My wife says no to Tesla's looks, we will see.

Towing 14,000 lb with a pickup at 75 mph is careless and borderline homicidal.

Towing 14,000 lb with a pickup at 75 mph is careless and borderline homicidal.
Well, that actually is a bit careless, but point is, once you attach a trailer, especially run of the mill 27 foot rv trailer (big wind parachute), your range will take a dive. See this test the guys at TFL did recently with their Model X
. I think they were trying to stay at the 70 mph speed limit, but had to turn around since they couldn't make it to their first SC stop. Point is, their range was more than halved. I'm not sure how Tesla is going to address this issue when it comes to comparison time with F150. Anyone here know how far they can tow (w/F150) with a full tank, decent sized RV trailer (25') and speed limit on highway? It may be smart to do, but if you get the lowest trim of the Cybertruck, you may not make it past 80 miles @ 70 mph towing 7500 lbs trailer before running out of battery? I hope Tesla is going to post range numbers based on rated towing capacity.

Well, that actually is a bit careless, but point is, once you attach a trailer, especially run of the mill 27 foot rv trailer (big wind parachute), your range will take a dive. See this test the guys at TFL did recently with their Model X
. I think they were trying to stay at the 70 mph speed limit, but had to turn around since they couldn't make it to their first SC stop. Point is, their range was more than halved. I'm not sure how Tesla is going to address this issue when it comes to comparison time with F150. Anyone here know how far they can tow (w/F150) with a full tank, decent sized RV trailer (25') and speed limit on highway? It may be smart to do, but if you get the lowest trim of the Cybertruck, you may not make it past 80 miles @ 70 mph towing 7500 lbs trailer before running out of battery? I hope Tesla is going to post range numbers based on rated towing capacity.
Interesting video! This is what the pick up truck buyers will be most interested in, not the silly tug of wars! As for the tug of war, some are sayign Ford 450 or Ford raptor can be good challengers.

The trailers are still somewhat aerodynamic. I wonder what happens when towing a 14k lb boat. Also,how deep can the back of cyber truck go into water?

The video shows they attached extended side mirrors because trailer was quite wide. How will it work if there is no side mirror to begin with? Lots of open practical issues.

They seem to hook up so many things to the car. Don't see how someone will unhitch and hitch at every charge stop. Really need those gas pump like chargers on the sides for towing.

Last edited:
Reactions: trak0r
I think it's considerably more complicated than that. Towed weight may be important in stop/start situations (in the city), but is somewhat irrelevant on the highway, where aerodynamics of the trailer would be far more important. What the TFL guys discovered, perhaps unwittingly, is that their trailer had the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood, which is to say the trailer sucked aerodynamically. Now Tesla understands this, as is evidenced by their aerodynamic design of the semi, which will tow a "nicola box"-shaped trailer and direct air flow aerodynamically over and around it. Perhaps Tesla can offer an "aero vault cover" that would do the same for the "nicola box trailer" towed by the CT, thereby substantially increasing highway towing range.

• Informative
They are just testing! My son and I had a loaded vehicle and trailer weight of 12,240 pounds and went about 2500 miles in all terrain. Our trailer did not have the wedge nose. Tow vehicle was a Tesla. If I were ordering/purchasing an electric truck, it would have the biggest battery possible. Too bad these trucks are still two years out...

Last edited:
So he says the Ford was rwd, sure, we can see that. But do we know if the CT used was awd?

And after all that explanation, how would ford win, when would CT be at a disadvantage...

The model used for test drives at the reveal was the dual motor AWD. Likely this was the same one in the video, but who knows.

To have a fair fight, the F150 would need to be in FWD, loaded to the same weight as the Tesla, same tires, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: SSonnentag
The model used for test drives at the reveal was the dual motor AWD. Likely this was the same one in the video, but who knows.

To have a fair fight, the F150 would need to be in FWD, loaded to the same weight as the Tesla, same tires, etc.

A fair fight is testing both empty, both with the same load, and then both at max load. Handicapping one vehicle to account for the shortcomings of the other is not a fair fight.

A fair fight is testing both empty, both with the same load, and then both at max load. Handicapping one vehicle to account for the shortcomings of the other is not a fair fight.

Loading the Ford (if you used the 4WD version), is not handicapping, it is equalizing. If the test is to see which truck can output the largest net force, each truck needs the same weight over the drive wheels. Silly test really.

• Informative
Here's the physics: Ford lost, fair and square, truck vs. truck. No stunt.

Fair & square?
Ford with only rear wheels driving, CT with 4 wheels = unfair
Ford with maybe 2000 lb weight on driving wheels vs CT with 6,000 lb weight on driven wheels, so 3:1 traction advantage = unfair

Fair would be 4-wheel drive Ford with full rated load in bed vs CT with full rated load in bed.

• Informative
Fair would be 4-wheel drive Ford with full rated load in bed vs CT with full rated load in bed.

Fair? Suppose you're out driving somewhere and want to pull someone out of a ditch? Which truck will be better and why?

"Excuse me, sir, while I go find 2000 pounds to put directly over the driven wheels of my F-150. Then I shall be, possibly, just as capable as Cybertruck."

Interesting video! This is what the pick up truck buyers will be most interested in, not the silly tug of wars! As for the tug of war, some are sayign Ford 450 or Ford raptor can be good challengers.

The trailers are still somewhat aerodynamic. I wonder what happens when towing a 14k lb boat. Also,how deep can the back of cyber truck go into water?

The video shows they attached extended side mirrors because trailer was quite wide. How will it work if there is no side mirror to begin with? Lots of open practical issues.

They seem to hook up so many things to the car. Don't see how someone will unhitch and hitch at every charge stop. Really need those gas pump like chargers on the sides for towing.

How deep can the front of s Ford truck go into water?

• Funny
Fair would be 4-wheel drive Ford
I agree with that part, especially since Tesla is offering a RWD version of the Cybertruck.
with full rated load in bed vs CT with full rated load in bed.
On that part, it really depends on what the test is meant to prove (or "prove"). Someone upthread pointed out that if the question is "can my truck pull your truck out of a ditch?" then "hang on a few hours while I fill the bed with a few tons of gravel" is not very realistic.

ETA: oh it was @arondaniel and just a few posts upthread besides. /blush