Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Inc. stock rises Tuesday, still underperforms market

Excerpted from the article:

The stock underperformed when compared to some of its competitors Tuesday, as Ford Motor Co. F rose 2.54% to $6.86, General Motors Co. GM rose 0.62% to $25.80, and NIO Inc. ADR NIO rose 0.29% to $13.64. Trading volume (8.3 M) remained 5.3 million below its 50-day average volume of 13.6 M.

It’s official, I will never understand the stock market.

You need more hobbies. I need to retire so I can do all of them. As it is, I'm a competitive cyclist and need at least 5 days a week on the bike, with 3 days of the days being at least 3 hours on the bike. On my "days off," I ride first thing in the morning, and the quickly get to the airport to fly my glider. Right now I'm limited to three days of flying a week. I usually fly 4+ hours, and would love another day to improve further so that maybe I can compete some day on the national or international stage. I haven't had time to play golf in years. I don't have time to travel. I like to do build and do projects, but I don't have time for that stuff either. The only hesitation I have retiring at 50 right now, is that I went to school for ever to become a surgeon, and I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I retire at my peak, even though I no longer enjoy going to work....

#firstworldproblems

;)

You need more hobbies. I need to retire so I can do all of them. As it is, I'm a competitive cyclist and need at least 5 days a week on the bike, with 3 days of the days being at least 3 hours on the bike. On my "days off," I ride first thing in the morning, and the quickly get to the airport to fly my glider. Right now I'm limited to three days of flying a week. I usually fly 4+ hours, and would love another day to improve further so that maybe I can compete some day on the national or international stage. I haven't had time to play golf in years. I don't have time to travel. I like to do build and do projects, but I don't have time for that stuff either. The only hesitation I have retiring at 50 right now, is that I went to school for ever to become a surgeon, and I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I retire at my peak, even though I no longer enjoy going to work....

Cycling will be solved by purchasing the Lance Armstrong Blood Bag Plan TM

"Replenish those thirsty red blood cells with the sweet, sweet blood from a local 16 year old."

Granted, you're going to need a lot of TSLA shares for this.

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS and BornToFly
I wonder if that is due to it's payload capacity of 3500 lbs. (bringing it's GVWR over the limit for a regular license)?

If so, Tesla could simply de-rate the load capacity in those markets to bring it under the limit. It's the same size as the most common model of Ford F-150 so I'm assuming it's not simply due to it's dimensions.
While I certainly believe the Cybertruck will do very well I would be interested in knowing of the total F-150 trucks sold how many have full length 8 foot beds and full size SuperCabs? Probably fewer then many think. I tried unsuccessfully to find this information but just the sheer size of the Cybertruck will likely result in a significant percentage of cancellations.

You need more hobbies. I need to retire so I can do all of them. As it is, I'm a competitive cyclist and need at least 5 days a week on the bike, with 3 of the days being at least 3 hours on the bike. On my "days off," I ride first thing in the morning, and the quickly get to the airport to fly my glider. Right now I'm limited to three days of flying a week. I usually fly 4+ hours, and would love another day to improve further so that maybe I can compete some day on the national or international stage (on Saturday I flew 504km at an average speed of 129km/hr). I haven't had time to play golf in years. I don't have time to travel. I like to do build and do projects, but I don't have time for that stuff either. The only hesitation I have retiring at 50 right now, is that I went to school for ever to become a surgeon, and I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I retire at my peak, even though I no longer enjoy going to work....

View attachment 572514 View attachment 572516

Zen moment incoming; Live your life for yourself, not for other people. You can’t give your best if your heart’s not in it.

You may now commence with regularly scheduled talk about the SP going nowhere fast.

You need more hobbies. I need to retire so I can do all of them. As it is, I'm a competitive cyclist and need at least 5 days a week on the bike, with 3 of the days being at least 3 hours on the bike. On my "days off," I ride first thing in the morning, and the quickly get to the airport to fly my glider. Right now I'm limited to three days of flying a week. I usually fly 4+ hours, and would love another day to improve further so that maybe I can compete some day on the national or international stage (on Saturday I flew 504km at an average speed of 129km/hr). I haven't had time to play golf in years. I don't have time to travel. I like to do build and do projects, but I don't have time for that stuff either. The only hesitation I have retiring at 50 right now, is that I went to school for ever to become a surgeon, and I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I retire at my peak, even though I no longer enjoy going to work....

View attachment 572514 View attachment 572516
Yeah, same thing here, started working after the 10 years of med school and internship, even if I am well financially and doesn’t have to think about money, I’ll keep doing workers comp expertises when I retire from taking call and have no OR time. However right now even if I train a lot for cycling races, races are on hold, everything is on hold. Never had so much time to train and take care of my kids!

The secret is to be passionate about something so much that works gets into your way in doing what you love and what you are passionate about

• Love
Reactions: NicoV and BornToFly
The hard way is to open multiple accounts at different brokerage firms and keep each one under $250k.

The easy way is to have a trustworthy broker which isn't going to go bankrupt anytime soon. So maybe once you hit $250k you should switch from Robinhood to a real broker. ;)
Most of my holdings are with Vanguard. If they go under then I'll be more focused on figuring out how to eat my neighbors than my stock losses.

to those opposed to split because of fear of ineligibility of fractional trading. found this from a recent IB advertisement and the FAQs for frac trading

Fractional Trading | Interactive Brokers LLC

Who is eligible for fractional share permissions?
Individual accounts (both standalone accounts and clients of Financial Advisors) and organizational accounts including Lite customers are eligible for fractional share permissions with the exception of the following:

• Clients with residency in Israel
  • Clients of Interactive Brokers Luxembourg SARL
  • Canadian RRSP/TFSA accounts
LITE customers = IB’s commission free accounts in addition to Pro accts
I use IBKR but there seems to be hoops required to jump through to get fractional shares. Whatever the case it's not a default setting and not something apparent. Same thing with my Ameritrade account.

This is another area that I disagree with common financial "wisdom". I've been retired for over 20 years without any income other than a small amount of dividend income that is mostly incidental. And I'm only 57 now so I still have a long ways to go (I hope). If I had retired with the plan to live off dividends, etc. I could have done that but I would of had to sell off most of my investments and buy dividend bearing stocks and/or bonds, annuities, etc. I could not have spent at the same level as I did. It's more capital efficient to make income from capital appreciation and continually sell off a small percentage of your stock (profit taking) and consider that your income.

It's a false distinction to create an imaginary line between income and capital appreciation. It's all capital, make it work for you. In retirement it's normal to spend down your capital. Ours has been increasing over the years even though our lifestyle is far from minimalistic. I attribute this to NOT making a false distinction between income and capital appreciation.
It definitely is not false when you must plan to protect someone after you are gone. I don’t dare spend capital! It may be needed to supply income for her care. Also, if you spend down on a plan of say dying at 85, what do you do if you live to 92?

• Helpful
Reactions: Carl Raymond
You need more hobbies. I need to retire so I can do all of them. As it is, I'm a competitive cyclist and need at least 5 days a week on the bike, with 3 of the days being at least 3 hours on the bike. On my "days off," I ride first thing in the morning, and then quickly get to the airport to fly my glider. Right now I'm limited to three days of flying a week. I usually fly 4+ hours/flight, and would love another day to improve further so that maybe I can compete some day on the national or international stage (on Saturday I flew 504km at an average speed of 129km/hr). I haven't had time to play golf in years. I don't have time to travel. I like to tinker and do projects, but I don't have time for that stuff either. The only hesitation I have retiring at 50 right now, is that I went to school for ever to become a surgeon, and I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I retire at my peak, even though I no longer enjoy going to work....

View attachment 572514 View attachment 572516View attachment 572527

My advice.....retire, but keep your CE and licensing up to date.;)
Yeah, my plan is to sell 1/3 of my shares when TSLA hits 2500. Then close my practice, but go in 2-3 days/month to assist one of my colleagues on days when he has really complex surgical cases and needs another pair of hands in there. This way I stay sharp as well. Just in case....

Why wouldn't you take out margin loans every year to fund your living considering that you have a very large portfolio. You avoid paying tax and selling shares that gain more per year than the interest rate charged on the loans? Even if you cap your margin loan to 20% of your portfolio, that should still represent a large sum of money.
As I said, I’m 80 and under terrific strain. I can’t deal with all that. Most my assets are in a trust designed to care for my wife after I’m gone. My first, second, and third objectives are to take care of her. This is what end of life is really like.