Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s not forget that VW once thought about testing carbon monoxide on humans, after they’ve tested the poison on animals. These guys don’t deserve any benefit of the doubt.
WAY OT
as a personal data point of one, I thought there were malevolent spirits in my basement that caused great unease and a desire to flee.
It was the _cracked_ firebox of my gas furnace leaking Carbon Monoxide, and after replacement the malevolent spirits went elsewhere
(there was triple homicide next door in the late 1960's 20 feet away, so there could have been a lurking remnent of a conciousness)
(wheres my neural link, i need it really really soon)

OT (SpaceX Dragon 2 Capsule Destroyed):

I saw a brief comment quite a few pages ago, but not definitive. SpaceX did in fact suffer a major setback yesterday with the loss of the Dragon 2 capsule that recently visited the ISS, and was intended to be used for the upcoming in flight abort test.

Video:
Astronut099 on Twitter

Article:
SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft suffers an anomaly during static fire testing at Cape Canaveral – NASASpaceFlight.com
That's why you have testing.

azaz responding to @neroden ...

When I drove truck in Manhattan, I'd rev up real loud, put it in gear, and start letting the engine shake the truck as it started to crawl forward, then I'd push in the clutch to not hit the pedestrians just coming into my way, slam the squeaky brakes on keeping eye contact with the pedestrians, adjusting my smile to get the individualized responses from each pedestrian I think is right, only to swiftly come back to slowly letting off the clutch, straining the engine and once again letting the truck come forward a bit as I see the pedestrians see me and our eye contact shows that no one is in emergency. By then, the pedestrians start thinning out, and I slam the brakes on again, drifting up to a nice buffer space between me and the current set of pedestrians. Then, I repeat all of this from the beginning again, until I'm through.

Interpolate for autonomous EV car.

Uhhh, wait ........ that doesn't work like that.

Left turn? That's nothing! Try a RIGHT turn in Manhattan!

I like doing it from the third from right lane ... the cabs turning right from the second from the right lane love yelling at me "HEYYY! YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO TURN FROM ANY LANE BUT THE RIGHTMOST LANE!!!" and shake their fists at me (as I laugh at their hypocrisy).

By the way, years ago I was on the record as saying cars ought to be able to figure out how to drive safely with enough good hardware and programmers. I still believe that. Having been a truck driver in Manhattan and a frequent hill car driver, I know all that that entails. Perhaps it's my embracing of the complexity that makes me think it's possible; whenever I see anyone throw up their hands at "how complicated it all is", I just think I've found someone who can't handle the complexity. It's really simple once you're smart and experienced enough. You just have to get there.
Pedestrians might ignore timid quiet cars and just keep walking, but people don't like loud noise in their face. Couldn't autonomous cars use a really annoying noise to move pedestrians when the car has the right of way? Like honking but next level, only used when the car has the right of way but people won't let it through. Another option would be water spraying forward after a countdown and noise warning. There must be some creative effective ways through the issue. No one has spent much time on it because there hasn't been a compelling need to. Eventually, people would be trained to let cars through to avoid the unpleasantness they would face otherwise. That just can't be the reason FSD would fail.

Pedestrians might ignore timid quiet cars and just keep walking, but people don't like loud noise in their face. Couldn't autonomous cars use a really annoying noise to move pedestrians when the car has the right of way? Like honking but next level, only used when the car has the right of way but people won't let it through. Another option would be water spraying forward after a countdown and noise warning. There must be some creative effective ways through the issue. No one has spent much time on it because there hasn't been a compelling need to. Eventually, people would be trained to let cars through to avoid the unpleasantness they would face otherwise. That just can't be the reason FSD would fail.

I can see where some people would go out of their way to block autonomous vehicles. Especially if they lost their job to one or just want the company to fail. There will need to be a pretty severe punishment to purposely blocking vehicles.

That's not true - I los count of the number of times with my old P85 that I forgot to close the flap and had to pull-over to get out and shut it - one time when I was already on the autobahn before I realised, so potentially very dangerous. It was particularly annoying as the navigation map wouldn't display until it was closed. My current X has the self-closing and it's on of my favourite features...
I had no idea they used to be fully manual. That would be really annoying!

When I initially read about it, I thought that the was what the Bio-defense system was for.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
That's why you have testing.
Well, yes and no. That’s brushing this off a little too lightly, IMO.

The purpose of integrated testing is not to see if the vehicle blows up or not. Generally, it’s to understand hard-to-model interactions of many systems. A major propulsion system failure (if that’s indeed what this is) should have been caught much earlier, during component or system tests.

There are a lot of potential implications of this depending on the root cause, but they could be major such as a redesign of the entire abort system, and since it’s highly integrated with the capsule that might make it even tougher.

Yes, it’s certainly better to have this happen during a test rather than during a crewed flight (and since this was apparently a failure of the launch abort system, it would likely be unsurvivable). But this kind of a failure this late in the development process in not how test programs are supposed to work.

Mod: I have moved all the @Skabooshka related postings to the existing thread about his production estimates. While I/we agree that there is some market relevance, at least it was clearly separable. Note as a matter of policy TMC doesn't support doxxing, but given there's a court filing identifying him it made sense to keep that one posting. Please take all this discussion over there.
Skabooshka's Model 3 Production Numbers
--ggr.

~~~
MODERATOR's posts, whether ggr's or any others, are NOT to be used as a talking point or otherwise discussed in open forum. You always may PM a Moderator to present opinion.

Three pieces of backtalk have been placed....elsewhere

~~VETINARI

Last edited by a moderator:
You are clueless about human nature, nobody is that selfless and altruistic.

He wants to save humanity , for the glory of it. A saving angel.

He is amazing , but keep it real .
I think you are conflating the motives for his actions with the accompanying benefits resulting from them.

I let people properly signaling in to the lane in front of me, not because of the little thank-you wave I get in return, but because it's the right thing to do.

That having been said, I do like the wave.

No, it's an unnecessary thing. Teslas don't require service. I have a "reasonably close" service center, 115 miles away. I have not used it in 175,000 miles, six years.

Please explain to me why I need a "reasonably close" Service Center.

You are an anomaly.

I’m glad you haven’t had to use one and I understand EV’s require LOWER amounts of service but that does not mean that they NEVER require service. (Go look at some peoples post regarding the next available appointment at their local service center)

Secondly, majority of people that could be Tesla customers have absolutely zero idea about the reduced need of regular servicing, or mobile rangers, or all that *sugar*.

They are going to look and realize they have zero service centers in 300 miles and use that as a negative to buying a Tesla.

Seriously people need to stop focusing on what works for you and saying everybody else has to adopt to the way you do it. I DONT HAVE TO HAVE A SERVICE CENTER CLOSE SO EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD JUST BE FINE WITH IT.

That’s not the way it works, the ultimate end goal is getting as many EV’s on the road as possible and in doing so you have to appeal to the mass market.

Glovis Captain (first delivery ship) back at Pier 80 :) Pier 80 is packed:

upload_2019-4-21_15-22-36.png

You are an anomaly.

I’m glad you haven’t had to use one and I understand EV’s require LOWER amounts of service but that does not mean that they NEVER require service. (Go look at some peoples post regarding the next available appointment at their local service center)

Secondly, majority of people that could be Tesla customers have absolutely zero idea about the reduced need of regular servicing, or mobile rangers, or all that *sugar*.

They are going to look and realize they have zero service centers in 300 miles and use that as a negative to buying a Tesla.

Seriously people need to stop focusing on what works for you and saying everybody else has to adopt to the way you do it. I DONT HAVE TO HAVE A SERVICE CENTER CLOSE SO EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD JUST BE FINE WITH IT.

That’s not the way it works, the ultimate end goal is getting as many EV’s on the road as possible and in doing so you have to appeal to the mass market.

I don't see how "My service is done at my home or workplace so going to a service centre is a once in a blue moon affair" is detrimental. Of course this message has to be broadcast, but service was a key factor in ordering my S85 in 2012--when there were far fewer service centres than there are now. No one has said that there is zero service. If offered a choice between going to a service centre or having the service person come to you so that you are not inconvenienced, I suspect most will chose the "come to you" plan.

I don't see how "My service is done at my home or workplace so going to a service centre is a once in a blue moon affair" is detrimental. Of course this message has to be broadcast, but service was a key factor in ordering my S85 in 2012--when there were far fewer service centres than there are now. No one has said that there is zero service. If offered a choice between going to a service centre or having the service person come to you so that you are not inconvenienced, I suspect most will chose the "come to you" plan.

That’s fine, I’m not arguing about whether people would want mobile service or not. Obviously they do and there are benefits it’s great and convenient.

Just some people are on here saying being close to a service center doesn’t matter to anyone because I have a Tesla and I don’t live near a service center.

To the majority of Americans it will matter, will it break a sale? Maybe or maybe not that’s up to the individual but people are not going to want to drive 300 miles to go to a service center. Broadcasting the message that EV’s require less maintenance is great, but if you don’t advertise how are people that don’t have contact with Tesla going to know this? Tesla has a hard enough time as it is broadcasting most messages.

Take Michigan for example, I guarantee the market size in that state is smaller because there is no service center in that state (not Tesla’s fault)

The point is having service centers at the very least in the state people live in will be a benefit to the sale of Model 3’s and Y’s in the US. Same principle applies abroad.