Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two possible outcomes according to your logic (which I don't agree with, but let's go with it):
1. Your options expire worthless, nothing much changes after hours, and you lose $200, or...
2. Something happens after hours, the price shoots up to $461 (I think you said $460 strike), and you are now on the hook to buy $2,350,000 dollars worth of shares. If you have that sort of money, and believe in your bet, you should have just bought the stock while it was still $418 or so. If you don't have the money, I think the broker just fails to execute, and you lose your $200.

I mean yeah, but I think you are simplifying the benefits of options vs stock. The downside of buying those shares like you suggest in #2 is if I am wrong I lose way more than $200.

Reactions: Tslynk67
I literally spent $200 buying 50 contracts. If you consider risking $200 ignorant and reckless then we don't have much to talk about. If you want, you can take the other side of the trade since you seem so sure that my side of the trade is ignorant and reckless. You'll either be $200 richer or infinity poorer.
If you bet only $200 then it's a non-event. Enjoy. I'm sure you won't even notice that it's gone and you'll have some fun. If you win your bet I'll learn something.

There are two possible outcomes according to your logic (which I don't agree with, but let's go with it):
1. Your options expire worthless, nothing much changes after hours, and you lose $200, or...
2. Something happens after hours, the price shoots up to $461 (I think you said $460 strike), and you are now on the hook to buy $2,350,000 dollars worth of shares. If you have that sort of money, and believe in your bet, you should have just bought the stock while it was still $418 or so. If you don't have the money, I think the broker just fails to execute, and you lose your $200.

Unless you are on margin and your broker is a dick and lets you exercise on margin, and then the stock tanks tuesday for some other reason and you get margin called and owe the difference.

So the original post calling me ignorant and reckless is ok, but me responding to it crosses some sort of line? Not sure why I am getting flamed by so many members here over risking $200 on a short term bet. I mean, i've spent more than that in the last 2 months on whiskey to drink when TSLA hits milestone all time highs, and I know no one would call me ignorant and reckless for that...
I must have missed that post...care to share that?

They can exercise and sell immediately, I was forced into this once after they failed to send my sell to close order to the market. I had ITM calls and did not have the cash to purchase 15,000 pre split shares...
Did not enjoy this in my account over the weekend, mind you I had the funds from the transaction.
(They sold the shares, and the ones I acquired from the execution showed up after the weekend to bring me back to a positive balance)
Although this may have been an unusual occurrence because it was their fault and they closed the day ITM, I actually lost a lot by waiting until AH (it dropped) for them to sell

SHORT lol.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: gabeincal and enzo
I have to hand it to my wife. Over the years she has given me so much crap for going all in on TSLA. Now that we have made a lot of money on my conviction, she is telling me to HODL through the possible lack of S&P announcement today. I was getting ready to sell 1/3 of my shares out of fear (and to secure my retirement). She said we have enough to live off of for two years and it will be higher than now sometime in the next two years. I don't know if I love her more right now, or just got my excuse for a future divorce... o_O

I told my wife yesterday that I was tempted to let some covered calls rip but that I should really wait through Tuesday AH. She said, "Well, wait through Tuesday." Lol. It really is that simple sometimes. (Actually, it often is...)

Reactions: BornToFly
I have to hand it to my wife. Over the years she has given me so much crap for going all in on TSLA. Now that we have made a lot of money on my conviction, she is telling me to HODL through the possible lack of S&P announcement today. I was getting ready to sell 1/3 of my shares out of fear (and to secure my retirement). She said we have enough to live off of for two years and it will be higher than now sometime in the next two years. I don't know if I love her more right now, or just got my excuse for a future divorce... o_O
She's making sure when she files for divorce the TSLA stock will be enough for both of you. (May this not come to pass...well unless it works out good for both of you).

They can exercise and sell immediately, I was forced into this once after they failed to send my sell to close order to the market. I had ITM calls and did not have the cash to purchase 15,000 pre split shares...
Did not enjoy this in my account over the weekend, mind you I had the funds from the transaction.
(They sold the shares, and the ones I acquired from the execution showed up after the weekend to bring me back to a positive balance)

View attachment 584434

You have a nice broker. I had a similar situation once and it was a very very long weekend for me while I prayed that the stimulus package didn't go through and make my exercised puts on SPY which opened a short position for me end up costing me a boatload. I ended up closing the position in extended hours on monday but oh man was it a stressful 48 hours.

I actually ended up getting double what I would have for the puts by the time I closed the position. But if it had gone the other way I would have been very upset.

So after all this stupid run-up drama, we’re going to end up right back where we started five trading days ago?

This place is nuts. You all have one hand on the throttle and the other on the brake. I need some serious mood adjustment.
May I suggest adding a couple bucks to the closing price today?

If the driver has not yet gained experience with FSD, confusion is understandable
Fair. I suppose I think reviews should be done with the lense of an owner with some small level of exposure though.

Many of us are pattern-recognition people and when we see a pattern repeat, it's hard not to take some sort of action to take advantage of it. I have to just say Ohmmm and HODL when my brain is screaming sell and buy the dip, or sell and take a vacation from the market for a while - but, NO. I have made a commitment to myself to ignore my screaming brain and listen to my calm brain - it tells me it's the long game stupid - get your finger off the sell button and relax!