Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone feel like this is the climax of the Tesla story at this point? Is this the one of the most important pioint in Tesla’s history? If Tesla is profitable then this will be the first time Tesla has two profitable quarters. This for sure shuts down one of the bears main talking point.

Don't underestimate the bears' capacity to move the goalposts. I can hear them now: "Q4 was a fluke and only profitable because the expiring tax credit caused a surge of artificial demand."

Does anyone feel like this is the climax of the Tesla story at this point? Is this the one of the most important pioint in Tesla’s history? If Tesla is profitable then this will be the first time Tesla has two profitable quarters. This for sure shuts down one of the bears main talking point.

Depends what you consider to be a climax. I consider this to be the end of several years of foreplay...soon the real action will begin.

Well yea, of course. There have been hundreds before this one, and there'll be hundreds more. The "climax" of the Tesla story never climaxes - it just keeps getting better!

Reactions: 2virgule5
I think it will go back and forth a bit longer. Bears will claim demand is falling and that we will see it in the Q1 numbers. Bears and bulls are tenacious in this stock. I'd say once we get to Q3 and Q4 2019 and still profitable then the shorts will get squeezed. Long TSLA calls and stock myself.

A new referendum is highly unlikely, because the Brexit clock will run out before it can be held: fastest estimate is 8 months, but 10 months is more realistic due to legal challenges. The EU has already made it clear they are not going to extend the clock for a new referendum.

The only 3 options possible for Britain are:
  • The 1993 deal, (staying in the EU)
  • The 2018 deal, (soft Brexit)
  • No deal (hard Brexit - this is the default outcome if Britain does nothing)
One of the above three options is going to trigger on March 29.

Anything else, such as a new referendum or a "renegotiation" of the 2018 deal is not going to happen.
As a US citizen, the way the EU is trying to blackmail the U.K by getting them to pay billions is shameful. I won't blame the Brits (and would probably encourage them) to give the finger to Brussels and do a hard exit. The $billions they don't pay can be used to improve their own trade and country. Don't put up with Belgium's powerless threats. Just trade with US and China and everyone else and they'll be just fine

The tslaq fools (I wrote folks, but autocorrect changed it, and I decided that works, too) will be around until Tesla is a full-line automaker with completed Gigafactories on three continents producing millions of vehicles/year. It's just how they roll. I've been closely following this stock since 2012, and it's quite clear that the goalposts will shift until they fall apart from the strain.

Meanwhile, my shares will sit, unperturbed, and I'll enjoy my Model 3 and eventual Model Y.

As a US citizen, the way the EU is trying to blackmail the U.K by getting them to pay billions is shameful. I won't blame the Brits (and would probably encourage them) to give the finger to Brussels and do a hard exit. The $billions they don't pay can be used to improve their own trade and country. Don't put up with Belgium's powerless threats. Just trade with US and China and everyone else and they'll be just fine

The UK being in the EU was mutually beneficial. This is not a zero sum game. Both sides will lose. There was no blackmail against the UK as you say, that is basically a lie. There were deals made, and obligations accrued for mutually beneficial acts. Pull out, and you need to pay your obligations.

Screenshot (26).png
We really shouldn't whitewash history there:
  • original Model 3 timeline was indeed 2018,
  • but then Tesla got a lot of pre-orders, raised billions of dollars to increase volume and accelerate the timeline to 2017,
  • then missed the 2017 timeline and missed the "10k/week by end of 2018" timeline, despite spending those billions
So it was a miss. The good news: it's up from here. :D

Nope. Originally timeline was pushed up by TWO years and ended up being ONE year early.
From January 2014 presentation to large investors:

http://ir.teslamotors.com/static-files/e768168d-076e-4705-9751-e7872b1982bc

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    186.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The climax will be when/if they release FSD and suddenly starts making real money both on cars sold and on ride sharing. And when they start to transform society and how we live our lives.

Climax is when when Tesla gets FU money and buys Nintendo just because Musk wants Mario Kart in the apps section. ;)

A release of Tesla Music might be close to the peak of the rising action however.

If there is a general consensus that Trump is going to declare his contrived national imergency tomorrow night, I think that will weigh on markets all day. If he actually calls an emergency, it will be bad for markets for a while. Can TSLA move counter to a downward trend?

"Model 3, our smaller and lower cost sedan will start production in about 2 years. Fully operational Gigafactory needed." Sep 2015

Elon Musk on Twitter

Production moved up approximately 3-6 months. The volume production goals are what changed substantially. Originally the goal was something like 500k Model 3s by 2020, then it shifted forward to 2018. Can't remember where those numbers were quoted from, probably an earnings call. I'd imagine 500k won't happen next year, but it should by the original 2020 goal.

Actually good Bloomberg article:

Tesla’s Life After Hell: 7 Charts Show Musk on Firmer Footing

Also, key section:

"All analysts surveyed by Bloomberg now predict that Tesla will turn a profit in the fourth quarter, with an average estimate of $206 million on a GAAP basis. That’s a major reversal from April, when analysts’ consensus was for a fourth-quarter loss of about $234 million. The change in expectations for Tesla’s 2019 free cash flow are even more stark, flipping to about $837 million from negative $795 million as of early May. "

We now have our numbers. Don't let FactSet BS anyone this time.
This report is from Tom Randall and not Dana Hull. No surprise there..

Reactions: EinSV and AZRI11
Hmmm. It would be very interesting if Tesla kept its best battery tech in the US while using "second rate" battery tech in China, putting the same number of "second rate" cells in an SR cars as they would put "top quality" cells in an LR car. It would wipe out the risk of Chinese battery trade secret theft.

I am fairly confident that Tesla will not do those kind of shenanigans.

OT, just reflecting. I know a continuation of dripsacks writing nonsense about TSLAQ is in the cards no matter what.
Maybe my guard is down but for the first time in a long while, I'm kinda feeling a sense of calm about owning TSLA. On Friday, I added some token shares in honor of my 1 year anniversary of owning a Model 3.
Helluva year:
I was down a bunch of $ at various times but mostly held and actually got the timing right to sell some before the major dips and buy close to bottom and added to my share total over this year.

My kid worked the GA3 line during the June "all hands on deck" push to 3k/week. Heard some very cool Tesla stories and got a nice "bump cap" from the GA3 line that I will cherish.

I gave a bunch of test drives and put over 18k miles on the 3. It's still solid as a rock and as fun as anything.
A good test drive story: Colleague, hotshot atmospheric scientist, contacts me to check out my 3 shortly after I got it. LOVES it. A short time later he's in UK, being admitted as member of Royal Society. I guess they have you sign into their little society book. It's just sitting on a podium. He could flip through the pages and find past sigs of folks like, oh... Isaac Newton, etc (nice club!). But the coolest thing is he's at Elon Musk's table; also being admitted; and starts talking to him about his test drive in my 3 and how amazing it is and how he's ordered one, etc etc. Made my day.
Just thought I'd share by taking stock rather than talking stock. Cheers.

Nice that Elon is also a member of Royal Society. Didn't see any news on that.

Reactions: Lessmog and MikeC
"Model 3, our smaller and lower cost sedan will start production in about 2 years. Fully operational Gigafactory needed." Sep 2015

Elon Musk on Twitter

Production moved up approximately 3-6 months. The volume production goals are what changed substantially. Originally the goal was something like 500k Model 3s by 2020, then it shifted forward to 2018. Can't remember where those numbers were quoted from, probably an earnings call. I'd imagine 500k won't happen next year, but it should by the original 2020 goal.
"~3 years" from a January 2014 presentation is ~January 2017.

Has anyone considered that Elon just might be OK if China hacks FSD technology? China is likely very resourceful in getting access to source code etc. Maybe this is one reason why China was OK giving Elon 100% ownership of the Shanghai plant AND funding it.

Maybe automotive is different, but Intel restricts it's high-tech chips from Mfg in China. The CPU wafers are only done in either Israel, Ireland, or USA. Shanghai does the assembly which is basically the easy part and their Wafer FAB is restricted to basics like memory.

Knowing Elon's mission, this might be a higher level deal than anyone realized. The faster everyone goes EV the better (and I agree). Just like wanting to share his patents, he's encouraging the migration to EV... in a hurry.

So the stock shoots through the roof this year as a result, he builds more GFs from HUGE revenue in China, and we all win. Losers will be all the other Auto industries who must see this China friendship as a real concern (besides Tesla).