Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ASP *in the US* is $37k. It is obviously lower globally. It’s probably closer to $30k than $40k, but I haven’t found a good reference for the global auto ASP.

My expectation is that Tesla’s ASP will be close to $30k if/when they reach 20M units per year, but margins will be very high by 2030 once Elon’s vision of extreme manufacturing automation is realized. Imagine cars flying off the assembly line as fast as battery cells are now.

If Tesla Model Y has a 1M battery why can't the average Indian family take a 30 year car loan?

You are not alone. I was raising this issue be asking whether 9/22 or 9/23 would be the better day to buy Tesla. My experience with Tesla suggest that the day after will be the better buy.

Historically, the share price declines the day after an unveiling. But even if the price does not decline, the price may not fully reflect the positive value of the information just released. That is, with positive news, the public knows that Tesla is worth more than they knew it was worth the day before. So the price should go up commensurate with the increase in known value. If the price rises only a little bit or is neutral, it is still a good buy.

But more obviously, if you know Tesla is more valuable, while the market takes the stock price down notch, you know it is strong buy.

I would also point out a bear tactic called "news nullification." Shorts work very hard to control the narrative on this stock. When positive news comes out, they are strongly motivated to try spin it from a positive to a negative. They also know that reporters always make reference to "market reaction" when news comes out. And of course other market participants look at price movements as indication of whether the "market" thinks the news is positive or negative. Thus, there is an enormous incentives for bears to attack the price aggressively whenever positive news comes out. If they can engineer a "negative market response," they stand a very good chance of flipping narrative to negative.

So I believe it is good for bulls to be prepared to buy on the day after an unveiling. This can defend against news nullification. And if that defense is insufficient, one at least benefits from buying the stock at a discount thanks to a successful bear attack. Whether you want to "buy the rumor" (before the unveiling) is up to you, but when bears are "selling the news" (after the unveiling), its good to have some dry powder.

Agreed, 90% of the time, but the other 10% are often the biggest moves. I didn't chase April 17th 625 calls in early April and missed a big move up. 50% appreciation in a little more than a week that would have given me a 5x win. That said, the odds of a sell the news day on the 23rd is pretty high.
Over the next 6 weeks we have, at least, 3 catalysts with battery day, delivery day and Q3 earnings around October 22nd. We could also see initial Shanghai Model Y production in early November and all of these could cause a quick spike up and none of the announcements seem to have a high risk of bad news. If there is a dip after battery day, it will likely be at least even by delivery day and up by earnings and up some more when Shanghai starts delivering the Model Y.

I emailed the author and he apologized. In response he added the following line to the article:

“There were concerns I had about the profitability of the company,” he said.

Well that's something, but changing the title to "Fidelity regret dumping $TSLA position in 2017/8" - much more professional.

It has been empirically studied and proven that accidents per mile on autopilot is lower than without. That doesn't mean there wont be idiots. A knife can be dangerous to a cook if that cook is an idiot about it. But the numbers show autopilot is a net increase in safety.

Also, I personally know people who fell asleep at the wheel in a traditional car because they were exhausted from being over worked and crashed. Luckily there were no major consequences, but people falling asleep at the wheel is not new.

Must be pretty deep sleep too, if I'm not attentive with AP, it nags, nags, and they lets of a pretty loud alarm, which I would have thought would wake anyone.

So seems to me that it's actually harder to fall asleep in a Tesla on AP, but if you do, you're not likely to sleep for long, but if you don't wake up, you're far less likely to have an accident.

Based on this logic, of course it's safer.

Asking this from ignorance: Is it really the case at Sonic Burgers and its ilk that a car stays in what looks to me like an order slot for the entire time it takes to eat? Is that a tenable business model?

If so, and to keep this tenuously on topic, how might that model be tweaked in order to financially accommodate charging and different drivers’ preferences?

Yes. And yes it’s been a successful business model before; A&W.

I’m not sure why it stopped as I was just a kid then. I suspect it had something to do with people wanting to ‘get and go’ and the fact you can serve a lot more people in a drive thru scenario, you’d need less property for parking and as a society we are a lot less about eating together as families.

Last edited:
Seems like a nice quiet day following macros. I like a nice quiet day every now and then, most days are insane for TSLA lately.

At the risk of inciting the pitch-fork folk, I saw plenty of tinkering with the stock today - towards the close being the most obvious when $TSLA dropped while other tech stocks and the index rose. I see this too often for it to be random.

And yes, I'm sad that I sit there all day watching the chart, to my defence, I do other stuff in parallel...

Show me a map, I’m not familiar with the factory layout that deep!
4.5 is next to 4.0

upload_2020-9-17_13-31-34.png

Max pain is probably over $350 if not $380 by the end of today. They have been pushing it up all week. Most PUTs have CALLs under them. Almost everything under $400 has been double sold both directions. The Calls with a strike at $340 are very interesting because a month or so ago manipulation would have been used to make those worthless. I doubt we see that tomorrow. It's like someone with deep pockets is no longer throwing their weight around... yeah!

THEY will continue to assist the SP down tomorrow if macros help. There is a good chance we close under $420 tomorrow but it will be tough with battery day coming. IMO there hasn't been much manipulation lately like there was a month or more ago. Still not to difficult to make some safe calls (or puts) to sell.

I think part of the thing with manipulation is people don't realize the SP does not have to be manipulated all the time. Sometimes like lately it just goes right where the THEY expect it to go and they are happy and don't have to work too hard. The MMs have most everything hedged so it's all good unless unexpected 10-20% moves happen then they step in. The price does get pushed in both directions but when it's on speculation or news, that is not manipulation. It's when, for example, an article comes out 5 minutes before close to signal the sell off then said article gets pulled... that's when it is clear as day.

I am happy with whatever THEY want to do as long as I have access to the daily charts of the previous days game. I bought a retirement home for cash this year off this non-existent manipulation.... and yah I am still planning on the island too :)

tsla io.png

Daily Roundup Preview: 17 September
Posts from 16 Sep 08:36 GMT to 17 Sep 20:33 GMT
Votes as of 17 Sep 20:34 GMT

Go here to see today's full Roundtable Roundup!

Top 25 Informative + Helpful

Author /
Votes /
Time (GMT)
Content Preview
Johann Koeber
63 | Link ➤

16 Sep 16:42
Just another data point:

I ordered another M3 SR+ here in Germany yesterday. The order page says delivery in 5-10 weeks. Long time for me.

As in the other quarters, I then called Tesla and asked to match me a car already on its way. The surprising result: all cars in transit are spoken for. No SR...
MTL_HABS1909
36 | Link ➤

17 Sep 14:05
Amazon invests in battery recycling firm started by former Tesla executive — CNBC
Remster32
34 | Link ➤

16 Sep 16:34
Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank issued Battery Day previews today.

Credit Suisse raises their price target from $280 to $400.
Deutsche Bank raises their price target from $300 to $400.
Lycanthrope
32 | Link ➤

16 Sep 19:59
BBC spilling the beans on PHEV's Plug-in hybrids are a 'wolf in sheep's clothing'

Carbon dioxide emissions from plug-in hybrid cars are as much as two-and-a-half times higher than official tests suggest, according to new research.

Plug-in hybrid vehicles are powered by an electric motor using a b...
gabeincal
31 | Link ➤

16 Sep 17:32
No S or X in Stanford either...
MissAutobahn
31 | Link ➤

16 Sep 10:08
Did someone already mention that Tesla benefits on every single car sold in the EU due to the current bad $ devaluation in relation to the €?
Almost 8% of extra gains since last year.
scaesare
30 | Link ➤

17 Sep 14:24
So... using a rough example pack dimension of 4'x8' (~1248x2496mm):

21mm diameter cells-

Triangular Pattern
Maximum number of circles with the triangular pattern inside the 1248 x 2496 rectangle is: 8015

As a 21mm cell has an area of 10.5^2 x 3.14 = 346.2mm^2, that means 8015 cells cover 2,774,67...
avoigt
27 | Link ➤

17 Sep 7:52
That's a FUD report although I believe not intentionally.

When Elon arrived in Germany, Berlin at the CDU/CSU Fraction Meeting he was asked at the entrance by a journalist if the vehicle transfers pictures and videos to the USA, and Elon decline and said "No, thats not true"

The German media is cl...
avoigt
26 | Link ➤

17 Sep 10:53
That's incorrect.

It does not matter if people can be identified in videos or pictures. What matters is what you do with that data. Please read the law! Lawyers and judges did decide on similar cases already a few times.

Tesla can use that data for its internal use as long as they don't share pict...
mrmage
26 | Link ➤

16 Sep 18:43
The larger battery is possible through the efficiencies described in the tabless battery patent. This changes resistance from a variable dependent on the diameter, to a constant value. Because larger windings today increase resistance (and therefore heat), this is a big deal.

With a tabbed battery,...
Mike Smith
24 | Link ➤

16 Sep 10:38
Fred says he has confirmation from another source that these are the new Roadrunner cells Tesla is making. They're around 4X the volume of the 2170 cells.

First look at Tesla's new battery cell produced in-house with Roadrunner - Electrek
ZeApelido
23 | Link ➤

17 Sep 17:44
Battery production export from region in Japan that supplies S/X dropped in half in August from July (previous drop presumably Covid related).
RichardL
22 | Link ➤

16 Sep 17:37
Nor at Fashion Valley in San Diego
kbM3
21 | Link ➤

16 Sep 14:43
The Limiting Factor retweeted this which would be even more impressive:

https://twitter.com/_brcooper/status/1306148483498422272?s=21

If my math is correct, that is a 10X volume increase in cell size vs. 2170’s. If Tesla also improves energy density to 300 Wh / kg. That’s only 1/12 the number of c...
gabeincal
18 | Link ➤

16 Sep 16:27
Might be irrelevant but S, 3, and X have disappeared from the Santana Row showroom....
Curt Renz
17 | Link ➤

16 Sep 18:40
Barron's - half hour ago: Tesla Stock Could Be Worth $100 Billion More Thanks to One Thing: Batteries

Excerpts:

Credit Suisse analyst Dan Levy increased his price target for Tesla stock to $400 from $280 Wednesday, a 40% jump that works out to more than $100 billion in additional market value. His...
saniflash
16 | Link ➤

17 Sep 11:30
ask 2 lawyers and you get 3 different opinions

you are right @avoigt and I was wrong.

I just looked it up, Tesla is certified against US-EU Privacy shield so everything is fine: Privacy Shield. They can transfer PII between EU and US as long as the

Art. 6 GDPR - Lawfulness of processing - GDPR.e...
mrdoubleb
16 | Link ➤

16 Sep 18:50
Tobias is a local who has been providing lots of information from day 1. He disagrees, say this is still phase 1, in fact they will now clear the logistics staging area.
https://twitter.com/tobilindh/status/1306235838863486977

Red is already cleared, this is where you see the construction going on....
ggies07
16 | Link ➤

16 Sep 14:19
If anybody hasn't read the book, Internal Combustion, please do. It's a book I go back to over and over when I forget pieces of it and I'm reading the GM chapter again. It talks about how GM took over the electricity rail lines by using front companies, one by one, city by city, to first push gas bu...
Jackl1956
15 | Link ➤

17 Sep 4:03
Posted???

LG Chem plans to separate electric car battery business as a new company

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media
ggr
14 | Link ➤

17 Sep 0:25
As promised, an update from San Diego University Towne Center...

The showroom has moved into what used to be the Apple Store; I wasn't aware of this, having not gone to a shopping center for about 6 months. It had a 3 and an S. The guy who helped me order a solar roof said that just last week the c...
Papafox
13 | Link ➤

17 Sep 4:03
@Papafox views TSLA trading as a battle between good and evil? First I've heard of it.

In the past I've put a lot of energy into the long vs. short tug-of-war primarily because it helped me to better predict what was coming next. Undoubtedly I've called some price movements as manipulations when th...
jbcarioca
13 | Link ➤

16 Sep 13:07
You have just captured the prime economic dilemma of my life. Over my primary earned income years I had to cope with US$,€ (and predecessors ₣,DM), د.إ,¥,plus the evolving Cr$...BR$ (FWIW, there have been five of them). Now I cope only with BR$ and US$ in daily life, with a largish portion info expe...
Artful Dodger
13 | Link ➤

16 Sep 13:32
Here's today's Tech chart from 09:30 AM

Cheers!
Todesbuckler
12 | Link ➤

17 Sep 15:40
I created a crude and conservative model until 2023 with an expected share price of 700 Dollar in 2023 based on a PEG of 1 or alternatively a 400-800 Dollar share price based on a PE of 30-60. Please be aware that I view my assumptions as cautious biased towards smaller growth in revenues and margin...