Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about 4d chess... 4d because of the time element. I believe GF3 is currently not producing because they're doing annual maintenance on the existing lines and re-tuning. In the past, when they've done that at Fremont, it's always been at the beginning of the quarter; Tesla has always been trying to maximize the quarterly result. Now, there are two kinds of people :), those who already know that the Q3 production is going to be much higher than Q2, and those who don't. By taking a small hit in Q3 production, I assume because Elon/Zach already know it's "good enough", from GF3, but guaranteeing to hit the ground running in Q4, which is traditionally the best-selling quarter of the year too, I think they are betting on some more mind-blowing results in Q4. Just me thinking out loud, not advice.

For @Krugerrand:
10 goto 20
20 buy TSLA
30 goto 10
I suggest optimizing this code by deleting line 10 and editing line 30.

That sort of defeats having people sign an NDA and not allowing pictures/video to be taken. (There are probably trade secrets in there that they don't want competitors to see.)
It takes months or years to design a machine. It takes about five minutes (for an engineer) to understand how the machine works and glean enough information to copy it.

It proves nothing of the sort. The spectacle of seeing all those Model 3 and Y cars lined up was worth it for PR effect. It also affected the journalists covering the event.
And I loved honking the horns for applause! That was too cool, planned or not!

I think that's the point. Why are certain investors privy to this information, and not everyone? Either everyone gets to see it or no-one.

Same reason google/facebook don't share their algorithms and data. Even in microwave factories in china they take your phone away so you cant see trade secrets. Your expectation that a company would let the world see how they spent millions of dollars of R and D so someone else could copy it is a bit silly.

It proves nothing of the sort. The spectacle of seeing all those Model 3 and Y cars lined up was worth it for PR effect. It also affected the journalists covering the event.

I thought it was a genius idea to have a ‘drive-in’ shareholder meeting using the company’s product. How did GM, Ford, et al handle their shareholder meetings this year?

Same reason google/facebook don't share their algorithms and data. Even in microwave factories in china they take your phone away so you cant see trade secrets. Your expectation that a company would let the world see how they spent millions of dollars of R and D so someone else could copy it is a bit silly.
Oh come on, you know thats not what I'm saying. My expectation was that when Elon said for almost a year that there would be a working product to see, and that this event needed to happen in person, that more than just 10 hand selected people would actually get to see it in person. Any Tesla owner can tour the Fremont factory (including those that may work for Ford, or VW, or whatever other auto company), but you see no-one here crying that trade secrets would get out. You all are also acting like seeing the factory for a few seconds means that tomorrow people will be able to replicate the battery tech, despite the fact that there were clips of the factory running during battery day.

Musk's choice to not do a better presentation. Musk's choice to tweet "very insane" in advance of battery day. There was no "very insane".

In the long run it doesn't matter. Tesla seems on the right track.

I think the technology path outlined at battery day has a good chance to measurably change the arc of humanity. That fulfills 'very insane' in my books.

Jeebus, is this real? 30K Americans die every year in auto accidents? What's that do to people's portfolio's? Who's paying for that outrage?

Tesla is working to solve the actual problem. Not coddle investors with cash. Jeep Cherokee.

Very surprised by the number of disagrees on my question. My post was simply asking how you consider the risk to your portfolios relative to the risk of bad press over FSD deaths in the future. Everyone is able to ignore the post or reply that they are not concerned, but the risk (regardless of the probability) is not zero. It is also different than battery fires IMO because I'm specifically concerned about the loss of life. I don't remember any Tesla fire stories resulting in death? While *I* am clear on the merits of AI reducing crashes and savings lives, it will still result in some deaths that some headlines will portray as "Tesla autonomous EV kills driver". You can't tell me that just because there is an underlying "greater good" that the accidents won't be sensationalized in the media? SO Many aspects of the Tesla story are poorly understood by the masses, I don't know why FSD would be any different. Coming to terms with losing life at the hands of AI even if it saves X times that many lives is a seriously challenging idea for the general population to appreciate. Especially when you figure a death might come from an edge case that the AI hasn't seen and might seem obviously incompetent to an experienced driver (think FSD version of the side of a fire truck or gore point). Maybe the big picture is obvious to you, but so is investing in TSLA and many investors can't see that. Responsible journalism would certainly help. I do worry about the short sided narrative that will accompany the first FSD deaths and hope it's only a small bump in the road.