Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well ya you miss the most important part of exchange where guy asks if video allowed in car during test drives and elon says 'ya record away' or what have you... these test drives are technically marketing events trickling over youtube channels.

I absolutely agree with that. But I cannot agree that test drives are not needed anymore for potential customers. People will not switch from Lexus to Tesla, until they try it out.

@Fact Checking (or anybody else) What are your thoughts on the Osborne effect re MY on M3. I think we discussed this earlier, and we agreed reveal should be summer/fall, 3-6 months before production. My thinking is that the Osborne effect will be somewhat ameliorated by introduction of the base M3, as well as the winding down of the tax credit, and the higher price of the MY. The question is by how much?

Note the timing: Elon announced the Model Y reveal three days after the $35k Model 3 reveal.

My take: all March production capacity already spoken for with new Model 3 orders ... no Osborning worries from the Model Y reveal. Elon waited for the new Model 3 order influx.

I'd expect the Model 3 SR delivery estimate to be updated from "2-4 weeks" to "4 weeks" next week.

Well done to Team Tesla. We’re witnessing right now a burst of excellent execution of what was always a masterful strategy.

Bob Marley and toast is the sort of thing I’d be doing if I knew I had Gary Kasparov’s king pinned exactly where I wanted it.

Don’t get too tied up with what TSLA will or won’t do. Once the cash flows from these various projects become real, the share price will take care of itself.

You know that phrase by Gretsky, "skate to where the puck's going"? I keep thinking about the Volvo Polestar reveal this week (good timing Volvo) where they tried to copy the Model 3 right down to the phone as key and glass roof. Basically skating to where the puck is. Then Elon skates up just before they get to it and lays down a healthy slapstick full length, right into the net, collects a few chicklets (teeth) along the way.

I mean definitely the circumstances have changed. MY unveil was originally March, then recently he said it would be later, closer to production (presumably to avoid Osborne effect), and now it's back to March. Unless production is going to start Q4??

Likely guess is that M3 higher trim demand dropoff was quicker/steeper than anticipated, so everything (M3 base release, MY reveal) were all pushed up by about 3 months. But honestly I don't think this makes a huge material diff to their finances. There will certainly be some short term pain (store closings and layoffs), but I think Tesla can successfully maneuver it. This was all going to happen, particularly improving the margins on the base model, Tesla just has to find a way to make it happen about 3 months quicker than they had originally planned. I think team Musk can do it.

The interesting question is if the higher trim demand was still strong, and Tesla stuck with its plans for base M3 by summer, would they have gained enough margin improvements through manufacturing efficiency gains or would they have still ended up closing sales stores? And this leads to the question of how much more the margins will improve now given the store closures and future manufacturing efficiency gains. In summary, was the closing of the stores and inevitability either way, or is it just an additional bonus, as the stores are really unnecessary (a la the Amazon way)?

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Yah but I’m thinking about that. Can this not be construed by the SEC as manipulating the stock. What is allowed? What isn’t. Not an American so no idea how your system works.

The SEC can’t limit how they run their business. Otherwise literally any announcement or new product of any kind could be construed as manipulating the stock. Now, if he made that tweet without getting the OK from Tesla’s counsel then that’s a problem. But Elon isn’t a complete moron, so I’m going to assume that’s not the case.