Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy that when I bought our previous MS we had 3 (!!) superchargers in the SF Bay Area - that was 3 years ago.

Now? Hard to count...

View attachment 597461
When I first drove a Model S in San Francisco in 2012 there were none at all, but then came September 24 and the world changed forever. When I was there they were not yet open to public use which happened a couple of weeks later.
Tesla launches first six Supercharger locations; 100 kW charging, with 120 kW in future
That was only eight years ago. That is not much longer than some OEM's take to launch a new ICE.

For example, there is this argument :

"How Pervasive Is This? - At any given point in time more than 100 emerging companies are under attack as described above. This is not to be confused with the day-to-day shorting that occurs in virtually every stock, which is purportedly about thirty percent of the daily volume. The success rate for short attacks is over ninety percent - a success being defined as putting the company into bankruptcy or driving the stock price to pennies. It is estimated that 1000 small companies have been put out of business by the shorts. Admittedly, not every small company deserves to succeed, but they do deserve a level playing field.

"The secrecy that surrounds the shorts, the prime brokers, the DTC and the regulatory agencies makes it impossible to accurately estimate how much money has been stolen from the investing public by these predators, but the total is measured in billions of dollars. The problem is also international in scope."​

Lodger #NakedShortSelling

The real loss is in human progress. The most worthy of companies probably got an outsized attack.

When I first drove a Model S in San Francisco in 2012 there were none at all, but then came September 24 and the world changed forever. When I was there they were not yet open to public use which happened a couple of weeks later.
Tesla launches first six Supercharger locations; 100 kW charging, with 120 kW in future
That was only eight years ago. That is not much longer than some OEM's take to launch a new ICE.

The Model S was rated at 89 MPGe, and my current Model Y 8 years later is at 121... Looking back is fun because it gives me a perspective of such growth and gets me even more excited of what’s yet to come!

The Model S was rated at 89 MPGe, and my current Model Y 8 years later is at 121... Looking back is fun because it gives me a perspective of such growth and gets me even more excited of what’s yet to come!
89 MPGe always seemed exceptionally low to me. Lifetime average of my early 2013 S 85 was 245 Wh/mi. At $3 per gallon (kind of an average price between 2013 and 2020) a gas car would have to get 120 mpg as a lifetime average to equal what the S got.

So if Tesla’s Q3 production was 145K then it’s current annual rate is 580K.

I think it’s important to consider than Fremont will probably remain at this level for at least a new quarters? I don’t see massive production spike happening there in Q4/Q1, but improved slightly in both? (Rebuttals?)

Let’s say Giga Berlin opened on the first day of the 2nd quarter. What do you suppose Tesla’s production will be for Q1 and how does that translate to annual production rate moving forward? I know there’s lots of guys online like Troy who have estimates, and he’s good....even great. I’d like to hear what some of you think though. I think Q2 numbers are going to be the wake up call for many. It’s funny the 500K a year estimate years ago was such an long way away with many naysayers, and now it’s so close and everyone’s flipping out. If they hit 480K is going to be “a huge failure” from the street and talking heads, but when things start picking up I think what truly matters is that quickly multiplying annual production rate.... every small step of increased quarterly production spread out over 4 quarters is a large number of cars, and a lot of revenue.

I LOVE math.

Once Tesla sells 750K cars annually.....oooooof trying to figure out what quarter Tesla will achieve that run rate. $$$$$$$

gem in the comments:
“Go ahead; invest 100k$ in a Tesla and find out how that works out.

No wonder Toyota is going to concentrate on hybrids.

Posted by: ToppaTom | 25 September 2012 at 11:36 PM

It would have worked out nicely, me thinks.

Last edited:

I think it’s important to consider than Fremont will probably remain at this level for at least a new quarters? I don’t see massive production spike happening there in Q4/Q1, but improved slightly in both? (Rebuttals?)

I LOVE math.

Once Tesla sells 750K cars annually.....oooooof trying to figure out what quarter Tesla will achieve that run rate. $$$$$$$

It is my understanding that Shanghai started a third shift this month.

It is my understanding that Shanghai started a third shift this month.
... and Fremont will bring GA5 online soon for Model Y assembly. And Panasonic is making a $100M capital investment at GF1 Nevada to add another battery cell line which will add 10% capacity over and above the existing 13 bty cell lines. That could take Tesla from 7,200 to 8,000 Model 3/Y packs per week.

Tesla has lots of new capacity imminent, and that's even BEFORE Giga Shanghai begins Model Y volume production (likely 2021Q1).

Cheers!

Last edited:

Let’s say Giga Berlin opened on the first day of the 2nd quarter. What do you suppose Tesla’s production will be for Q1 and how does that translate to annual production rate moving forward? I know there’s lots of guys online like Troy who have estimates, and he’s good....even great. I’d like to hear what some of you think though. I think Q2 numbers are going to be the wake up call for many. It’s funny the 500K a year estimate years ago was such an long way away with many naysayers, and now it’s so close and everyone’s flipping out. If they hit 480K is going to be “a huge failure” from the street and talking heads, but when things start picking up I think what truly matters is that quickly multiplying annual production rate.... every small step of increased quarterly production spread out over 4 quarters is a large number of cars, and a lot of revenue.

I LOVE math.

Would love to see 480 for the annual and have the SP punished. How stupid would that be? About as stupid as the past fifteen sell offs in the SP.

Would be yet another in a long line of no brainer buying opps.

This was widely reported, and largely debunked, about a month ago. I find it very encouraging that the anti-TSLA crew are dredging up old gossip, it usually precedes a runup.
Sorry, not true. This is a new story for a different owner and he is also being given the run around. There are several things that speak poorly of Tesla here:

- Designing an app that will do one-click purchase without asking for confirmation and password, is not just poor design. It is downright shady and unethical.
- Not providing a grace period of 2 weeks to a month, is unacceptable in this day and age for a software product that costs thousands of dollars.
- Giving the run around for refund when the owner reached within 24 hours, is a new low for any company not named Comcast.

Tesla rightly deserves the negative publicity it receives here.

What security conscious person woludn't lock their phone biometrically or with a password? Seems far-fetched to me that somebody could open the app and proceed with the purchase using their rear end as well. Not sure I buy it (pun intended). If they had the app open and phone awake when this happened then that's just plain careless.

Last edited:
... that's just plain careless.
Yup. And with millions of customers, you're going to have carelessness happening every hour. So you had better have simple and convenient ways of dealing with it. Pissing your customers off because you didn't design your software or processes assuming imperfect people is simply stupid. It's an own goal.

I see Troy has a 33% uptick in model 3 deliveries from Q3 to Q4 in the US & a 35% uptick in Model Y deliveries.

That is more impressive than I thought it was going to be. Wow....
His estimates(high) of 143,000 for Q3 at asking price of.....47,000(?) = around 6.8B in revenues there....

Compared to his Q4 estimates of 186,000 at average asking price 47,000(?) = 8.7B

Just shy of 33% more revenues over the span of 3 months. Blown away.......

I love math

GM Using Epic Games' Unreal Engine For Hummer EV's Infotainment Graphics

Look forward to seeing what they come up with and how they execute. They are clearly following Tesla’s lead in at least recognizing the need for quality infotainment / cockpit activities / tech.

“The use of Unreal Engine in the GMC Hummer EV will provide richer graphics than ever before, celebrating the vehicle and its customers,” said Scott Martin, Creative Director of User Interface Design at GM. “We’re ecstatic to use Unreal Engine in our cockpit and look forward to sharing more details upon the vehicle’s reveal on October 20th.”

Dave interviewing Gali:
PSA-
Idle chit-chat until 10:00...
Cannot be watched without joining them with a long tall cold one.
Around 1:10:00, discussion follows scenic vectors through Bitcoin and economics discussion countryside...
1:22:00 - general tech/societal discussions, tl/dr after 1:30:00 when it seemed to be getting deep and philosophical.

Last edited:

Look forward to seeing what they come up with and how they execute. They are clearly following Tesla’s lead in at least recognizing the need for quality infotainment / cockpit activities / tech.

“The use of Unreal Engine in the GMC Hummer EV will provide richer graphics than ever before, celebrating the vehicle and its customers,” said Scott Martin, Creative Director of User Interface Design at GM. “We’re ecstatic to use Unreal Engine in our cockpit and look forward to sharing more details upon the vehicle’s reveal on October 20th.”

As someone who works in this field of 3D Art in videogames......this is incredibly unnecessary. Also, since they're using a generic engine/rendering system that is built for a variety of games, the engine has a lot of overhead when it comes to minimum system requirements/specs

"Impact of Counterfeit Shares on Stock Price"

View attachment 597424

Securities hocus pocus allows MMs and hedgies to create millions of counterfeit shares. All is explained in the "Citizens for Securities Reform" White Paper Counterfeiting Stock 2.0

Also available as a 45 page PDF with Appendices.

Best TSLA-related read of 2020 (even though it was written years ago). Explains much (if not all).

Lodger #NakedShortSelling

yes, finally we have a write-up that goes into a little more detail about the methods used to finagle transactions, as far a single organization using multiple onshore/offshore companies/entities/LLCs/LPs to offload positions and/or transact with to “restart the clock”.

to me the key points are these, since we already know most of the rest of the story;
(note the first bullet point is old T+3, not new T+2 settlement cycle - this article is 5-6 years old)
  • Settlement of stock transactions is supposed to occur within three days, at which time a naked short should become a fail–to–deliver, however the SEC routinely and automatically grants a number of extensions before the naked short gets reported as a fail–to–deliver. Most of the short hedge funds and broker dealers have multiple entities, many offshore, so they sell large naked short positions from entity to entity. Position rolls, as they are called, are frequently done broker to broker, or hedge fund to hedge fund, in block trades that never appear on an exchange. Each movement resets the time clock for the naked position becoming a fail–to–deliver and is a means of quickly getting a company off of the SHO threshold list.
  • The prime brokers may do a buy–in of a naked short position. If they tell the short hedge fund that we are going to buy–in at 3:59 EST on Friday, the hedge fund naked shorts into their own buy–in (or has a co–conspirator do it) and rolls their position, hence circumventing Reg SHO.
  • Most of the large broker dealers operate internationally, so when regulators come in (they almost always “call ahead”) or compliance people come in (ditto), large naked positions are moved out of the country and returned at a later date.
  • The stock lend is enormously profitable for the broker dealers who charge the short sellers large fees for the “borrowed” shares, whether they are real or counterfeit. When shares are loaned to a short, they are supposed to remain with the short until he covers his position by purchasing real shares. The broker dealers do one–day lends, which enables the short to identify to the SEC the account that shares were borrowed from. As soon as the report is sent in, the shares are returned to the broker dealer to be loaned to the next short. This allows eight to ten shorts to borrow the same shares, resetting the SHO–fail–to–deliver clock each time, which makes all of the counterfeit shares look like legitimate shares. The broker dealers charge each short for the stock lend.

they mention the anatomy of an attack, but we also know plenty about how a short attack unfolds..what with everything we’ve seen and read in the past, the book ‘the divide‘, the livenomore posts, the cramer youtube video, the short and distort tactics we’ve witnessed.

while there may be some conflating of descriptions/definitions in that write up, and some facts may be incorrect, technically, the overall gist of it is as good as we have seen in one cohesive write up. note i mentioned the timeline is now shorter because of T+2. and also, i have to brush up on refco, because i was under the impression that was more about futures and forex, and not stock/equity. that said, none of that nitpicking discounts the likelihood that the author is overall correct though, about naked shorting.

although we still don’t have a live example (as far a what’s provable in court beyond a reasonable doubt), it’s becoming more clear that it’s a real possibility this goes on a lot...more and more likely the reason we don’t have a real life paper trail/audit/court exhibit of one of these is because they’ll never take down a medium dog, let alone a big dog, because it will expose them all!

again, there could be some nitpicking
here and there. for example, the part below “here is the hocus pocus that creates millions of counterfeit shares” i’m having a hard time understanding, due to the authors interpretation of how shares are organized between the depository participant (brokers banks etc) and depository (dtcc).

the whole ensuing 2 paragraph description seems off, as far as market practice (mechanics and reporting). but they are correct with info in the later paragraphs and admit as much with the sentence “the actual process is more complex and arcane than this, but the end result is accurately depicted”.

however, even if we assume the author is wrong, and assume that at least this part of the system works fairly and accurately... it doesn’t impact the end result....meaning that if we assume at least that dtcc participants are within finra rules for reporting and categorizing long segregated customer shares versus non-segged (or free-excess) margin shares....it still doesn’t nullify the amount of shares available/duplication effect or negate the usurping of rules described in offshoring/onshoring position shuffle.

so even if we disagree with some of the authors description of the mechanics of settlement, it simply doesn’t matter.
you’ll still end up with an amount of margin shares that companies use to support the stock borrow/loan market,
and with the replication of position via the two-step entity shuffle, combined with the ability to ‘offload/hide’ positions for ‘n’ days, that provides the wiggle room to shake and bake the regulators.

which is interesting because the mechanics of settlement and market practice rules result in tangible activity that can be demonstrated and explained to any entry-level backoffice newbie or finra regulator.

what’s not scribed in that same stone are the loopholes.

this story showed us some of those potential loopholes, and how they are used to commingle with the written rule.

paging @FrankSG since we spent some time messaging about this. still subject to interpretation, but a bit more data to shed light on the ‘operators‘

Last edited:

but-why.gif