Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is a monthly options expiration day. A casual survey suggests that the $450 strike could be the most profitable closing share price target for big options writers (mainly hedge funds and market makers). Trading volume is low today, which may make it easier for manipulators to nudge the share price toward their targets. Share price manipulation is costly, but can be largely covered on Monday. The point is that options expiring today cannot be traded next week. The manipulators hope for modest not massive profits. Nevertheless, many owners of expiring calls and puts could be shut out. Of course news or investor interest can upset the plans of manipulators.

That is NOT dishonest. Things can be misleading

Of course it's dishonest.

They're presenting a specific named measurement, same named measurement in fact, on each trim of the vehicle- suggesting you could compare the two on this measurement.

But then using a different method to measure it on one than the other- resulting in 2 measurements you can't compare fairly to each other because they're not measured the same way and explicitly and intentionally produce significantly different results from each other.

And not mentioning it's not actually measured the same way on both.

It'd be like an ICE company listing "MPG" on one trim of a car at 25 and on a more expensive trim as 30, but leaving out one is city and one is highway, and if you actually measured em the SAME way the difference would be significantly smaller than their posted #s suggest. Nobody'd consider that "honest"

Same thing here.

(and the fact they used to at least MENTION in tiny print at the bottom they were using different measurements, and then removed that disclaimer, underscores how intentionally deceptive this is on their part)

Reactions: phantasms
Of course it's dishonest.
(and the fact they used to at least MENTION in tiny print at the bottom they were using different measurements, and then removed that disclaimer, underscores how intentionally deceptive this is on their part)

This got me wondering; are they still doing that? Is there some reliable source?
Or did they change and measure every car the same way, hence disclaimer removal?
(just wondering, I'm not making any claims here)

> So S was designed before he joined Tesla in 2008.
I never disputed this, nor was I suggesting the authors' of such articles were accurate.
I was only stating that Peter himself didn't apparently make claims that he designed Model S. I can't dig the comments across various threads on TMC, but I remember seeing some folks interpreting Elon's comment as if Peter didn't contribute much to Model S.
The official statement I quoted from Tesla goes against such view of Peter.

Coming to Elon's comment, I see a discrepancy between his tweet and Tesla's official statement when Peter left. And the discrepancy I see is reflecting childishness from Elon.
As someone who like Elon very much, I wish to see less of such instances. These eat away some of the respect he deserves for all his great achievements so far, and many more to come. The achievements that got us connected, forming this community through this forum.

It’s quite common to put out a soft, fluffy, nicely exaggerated, not quite accurate reason when executives leave a company.

It was suspicious to me when both Rawlinson and Sampson left at the same time. It WAS a critical time for Tesla and as a result TSLA took a beating.

There have been several other executive departures that were suspicious in timing. There’s even been executives that just sort of ‘melted into the background’ for several months to then quietly exit without much notice and later we connect the dots; ie. there were some exits that later looked quite likely to have to do with the dramatic Model X production hell.

This whole ‘contradiction’ you’re trying to make a big deal about is a nothing burger. They had a spat, the guy left or was told to leave, then he joined another EV startup a few years later.

Lucid has no chance to catch Tesla regardless of the level of greatness Rawlinson may or may not have. He’s no Elon. He’s a stuffed shirt on his best day. And the more Lucid tries to put themselves into the Tesla spotlight, the harder they’re going to fall.

I hope this isn't the case, because it would be rather petty and immature. I'd rather see Elon encourage these start-ups, not kill them.
I don't see it that way.

Elon has always wanted to encourage car makers to be competitive in the EV space. I believe he feels the best way to do that and also be in line with the mission to move civilization to sustainable transportation is to compete vigorously.

Last edited:
It’s quite common to put out a soft, fluffy, nicely exaggerated, not quite accurate reason when executives leave a company.

It was suspicious to me when both Rawlinson and Sampson left at the same time. It WAS a critical time for Tesla and as a result TSLA took a beating.

There have been several other executive departures that were suspicious in timing. There’s even been executives that just sort of ‘melted into the background’ for several months to then quietly exit without much notice and later we connect the dots; ie. there were some exits that later looked quite likely to have to do with the dramatic Model X production hell.

This whole ‘contradiction’ you’re trying to make a big deal about is a nothing burger. They had a spat, the guy left or was told to leave, then he joined another EV startup a few years later.

Lucid has no chance to catch Tesla regardless of the level of greatness Rawlinson may or may not have. He’s no Elon. He’s a stuffed shirt on his best day. And the more Lucid tries to put themselves into the Tesla spotlight, the harder they’re going to fall.

> It’s quite common to put out a soft, fluffy, nicely exaggerated, not quite accurate reason when executives leave a company.
I did have this point in my mind. What I meant was that once the company used such a claim for seemingly their own good/benefit, it doesn't look mature for the company/CEO to come with a contradicting statement later to take a dig at that person.
If the former wasn't there, there wouldn't have been a contradiction with the later.

As a TSLA investor, I don't see any threat to Tesla from Lucid, Peter R.
In fact, Peter himself several times through his wording tried to avoid being painted as a Tesla competitor. In other words, he is not even attempting competition with Tesla.

So, looks like there weren't enough open option contracts to make it worth it for the MMs to hold the SP between 445-450.

I also noticed yesterday that there was a significant uptick in FINRA-reported short selling, which to me indicates that there is a pool of motivated sellers out there today who's sole interest is driving the SP down, not merely holding it at their preferred 'max-pain'.

Also, there's the shortze's pyschological game, where they think they spread fear among weak longs if they can get a 10 dollar SP drop in a single day. They think it'll leave a bad taste in the mouth for the weekend... :p

Me? HODL'ing. C'mon, Earnings! :D

Cheers!

EDIT: Well, called today's 'bottom' - at $438.85 it was exactly $10.03 cents less than yesterday's Close

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-10-16.16-30.png

Last edited:
So, looks like there weren't enough open option contracts to make it worth it for the MMs to hold the SP between 445-450.

I also noticed yesterday that there was a significant uptick in FINRA-reported short selling, which to me indicates that there is a pool of motivated sellers out there today who's sole interest is driving the SP down, not merely holding it at their preferred 'max-pain'.

Also, there's the shortze's pyschological game, where they think they spread fear among weak longs if they can get a 10 dollar SP drop in a single day. Then think it'll leave a bad taste in the mouth for the weekend... :p

Me? HODL'ing. C'mon, Earnings! :D

Cheers!

Seems there was a massive macro-assist too, what was that about? Looking forward to a stable government in the USA...

For my part, took advantage of the fake dip to rebuy a c505 for next Friday and sell another p447.50 for the same day - cash is piling up while the share price moves sideways :)

Here are 3 Tesla from videos from 2011 starring Peter Rawlinson:
It were those 3 videos that so intrigued me that I eventually joined Tesla in order to work with people like Peter, JB, Elon and of course Deepak! Peter left before I joined, but it was such an honor to work with the others. Those videos are near and dear to me. Sorry for being off topic

I just now copied this from Tesla's web site.

Returns
Cars eligible for return must have an odometer mileage of less than 1,000 miles at the time of return; have a New Vehicle Limited Warranty that has not been voided; have not been the subject of any submission or application for any available incentives or perks; is in new condition, without damage or abnormal wear and tear; and has not been resold or transferred to any person or entity. Returns must be completed within seven days of delivery. Learn more about return terms and conditions.

Where did you find it? I couldn't find it for the Model Y, but that text is listed on the S/3/X order page in the additional information area. Of course the "Learn more" link takes you nowhere. (It redirects to the generic support page.)

But are any cars eligible for return now? (I suspect that they missed removing it from some places.)