Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the electrification effort at Ford started with much bravado as they designed their "Tesla killer". As they development matured they realized they couldn't release anything that would be remotely competitive with Tesla. Company cheerleaders said "Don't worry, we will be close to Tesla in terms of cost/range, etc. and we will have more familiar styling and controls and a helpful dealership network so different strokes for different folks. We will gain expertise and eventually steamroll our way into the lead."

But the bean counters at Ford let them know how much they would lose on each EV if they were sold at a price that enabled a moderate volume of sales. Worse, those sales would displace profitable ICE sales. They couldn't stop the electric "Mustang" project - that would look bad and eventually lead to certain death. So they decided to build it in low volumes and use it as wedge to move people away from money pit EV's and into profitable ICE until they could develop a competitive offering. Which would obviously take many years so it's very important for their first EV's to look good but turn consumers off on EV's. This way they can tell regulators we worked hard to move to zero emissions but we can't change consumer preference - most of them don't want EV's and we need to be cut some slack on emissions requirements.

In short, I think they started with good intentions but now are fighting for their very existence. You wouldn't know this from public statements because admitting it would cause a mass exodus of both investors and customers.
Watched "Ford vs. Ferrari" lately? Sounds a little familiar...

Here is auto analyst Rebecca Lindland giving what I'm sure is excellent Tesla investment advice - if only I could decipher what she's talking about..

‘We are impressed by the resiliency of the American consumer:’ Analyst on October auto sales

Starting at 7:44:

"One concern I do have with Tesla though and some of their production manufacturing, you know we're seeing declines - we're seeing a lot more competition in Europe for Tesla and their market share is declining. They're also supplying China with products, and they're supplying Europe with products that are made in China. That kind of leaves their Fremont California plant potentially with some under-production, you know less demand really for their products so we could see some real significant shift in where Tesla produces their products, and what that means for their production facilities and their allocation, so that's something I would definitely watch as an investor."
:confused:
Paid by the word??
That's all I can think of.

I'm not sure if I qualify as a young investor at 40, but I currently have 4 extra CTs on order for that possibility. I might be able to fit 2 in my garage, and I guess two in the driveway. o_O
You qualify my friend! Go for it! Also, forgot to mention the HEPA filters in the house so you don't have to run out to the Teslas during the next biological disaster...

• Funny
Reactions: Nocturnal
Here is auto analyst Rebecca Lindland giving what I'm sure is excellent Tesla investment advice - if only I could decipher what she's talking about..

‘We are impressed by the resiliency of the American consumer:’ Analyst on October auto sales

"One concern I do have with Tesla though and some of their production manufacturing, you know we're seeing declines - we're seeing a lot more competition in Europe for Tesla and their market share is declining. They're also supplying China with products, and they're supplying Europe with products that are made in China. That kind of leaves their Fremont California plant potentially with some under-production, you know less demand really for their products so we could see some real significant shift in where Tesla produces their products, and what that means for their production facilities and their allocation, so that's something I would definitely watch as an investor."

Does this “analyst” think it’s just a coincidence that Tesla started shipping MIC Model 3s to China a few weeks ago and now we learn that Honda has joined the European pool with FCA? Is it not obvious to anyone with half a brain that they will ship as many cars to a Europe as possible to capitalize on this free money? How can these “experts” be so bad at their jobs and remain employed?

Does this “analyst” think it’s just a coincidence that Tesla started shipping MIC Model 3s to China a few weeks ago and now we learn that Honda has joined the European pool with FCA? Is it not obvious to anyone with half a brain that they will ship as many cars to a Europe as possible to capitalize on this free money? How can these “experts” be so bad at their jobs and remain employed?
Half a brain is cheaper than a full brain.

I'm not sure if I qualify as a young investor at 40, but I currently have 4 extra CTs on order for that possibility. I might be able to fit 2 in my garage, and I guess two in the driveway. o_O

As FSD matures I expect there will be a "Get Lost" mode. If there are no fares available in the area, your Cybertruck will feature the ability to get out of your way and just hang out at various safe places with free legal parking until it's needed, never staying in any one place too long. It takes very little energy to move around at 30 mph. If the wind was blowing or the sun was shinning, it might know where to find some cheap or free electrons while it passes the time. Sentry mode would of course alert you if anyone was trying to harm it. :)

No need for four parking spots.

Rebecca Lindland « Future Mobility Detroit

Edit: Emphasis is mine.
Edit 2: Of course, it could just be that Razor thing someone mentioned earlier ;)

"Rebecca Lindland is founder of rebeccadrives.com, a marketing science and insights consultancy and car review site specializing in articles of 200 words or less.

Prior to launching her consultancy in 2019, Rebecca served as Executive Analyst for Cox Automotive’s Kelley Blue Book. In this role, she oversaw the creation and delivery of consultative, actionable and differentiated insights for automakers and advertising agency clients.

Prior to joining Cox Automotive in 2015, she spent over two years as a senior research fellow for the King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center (KAPSARC), based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia."

Last edited:

If this is the best FUD someone can come up with now (basically a bunch of words strung together to try and confuse someone into believing her that they should be concerned about Tesla), I’m pretty feeling good about my TSLA investment.

Rebecca Lindland « Future Mobility Detroit

Edit: Emphasis is mine.
Edit 2: Of course, it could just be that Razor thing someone mentioned earlier ;)

"Rebecca Lindland is founder of rebeccadrives.com, a marketing science and insights consultancy and car review site specializing in articles of 200 words or less.

Prior to launching her consultancy in 2019, Rebecca served as Executive Analyst for Cox Automotive’s Kelley Blue Book. In this role, she oversaw the creation and delivery of consultative, actionable and differentiated insights for automakers and advertising agency clients.

Prior to joining Cox Automotive in 2015, she spent over two years as a senior research fellow for the King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center (KAPSARC), based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia."

Good research.

So she's a paid petrol shill.

Nuff said.

I think the electrification effort at Ford started with much bravado as they designed their "Tesla killer". As they development matured they realized they couldn't release anything that would be remotely competitive with Tesla. Company cheerleaders said "Don't worry, we will be close to Tesla in terms of cost/range, etc. and we will have more familiar styling and controls and a helpful dealership network so different strokes for different folks. We will gain expertise and eventually steamroll our way into the lead."

But the bean counters at Ford let them know how much they would lose on each EV if they were sold at a price that enabled a moderate volume of sales. Worse, those sales would displace profitable ICE sales. They couldn't stop the electric "Mustang" project - that would look bad and eventually lead to certain death. So they decided to build it in low volumes and use it as wedge to move people away from money pit EV's and into profitable ICE until they could develop a competitive offering. Which would obviously take many years so it's very important for their first EV's to look good but turn consumers off on EV's. This way they can tell regulators we worked hard to move to zero emissions but we can't change consumer preference - most of them don't want EV's and we need to be cut some slack on emissions requirements.

In short, I think they started with good intentions but now are fighting for their very existence. You wouldn't know this from public statements because admitting it would cause a mass exodus of both investors and customers.

Sounds plausible. A few years ago, I read an interview with Ford's new Head of Electrification. Asked if Ford would make an electric flagship vehicle that showcases the potential of EVs like Tesla did, he dodged the question, which meant no.

A few days ago, new CEO Farley reiterated that plan:

“We are not going after the $100,000-plus market. These are affordable vehicles,” Farley says, adding Ford EV prices in the U.S. and Europe will be between $45,000 and $70,000 and include CUVs and CVs.​

(Note: This price range was incorrectly reported elsewhere as $20k - $70k.)

And a few months ago, Reuters reported that Ford has no immediate plan to make EVs in significant quantity:
Detroit's near future based on SUVs, not EVs, production plans show

They are doomed, as I have opined before.

Dear God, these also-rans are doomed.

Tesla Superchargers have a large rounded cutout to house the charging cable when not in use, so the cable is protected and looks nice.

dims

Lincoln screwed up by making their cable too long to fit in their cutout, but at least they had the right idea (Tesla's).

Lincoln-supercharger.jpg

But the Ford charger (apparently Level 2) has a cutout that is completely nonfunctional, the cable is unprotected, and the tangle looks like hell.

img_20191117_200522-e1574050653595.jpg

So the engineering geniuses at Ford and other "real automakers" are gonna catch up to Tesla and surpass them any day now, according to shorts and their analysts. Uh huh.

ARK sold some shares today:

ARKW:

Fund Date Direction Ticker CUSIP Company Shares % of ETF

ARKW 11/3/2020 Sell TSLA 88160R101 TESLA INC 43,406 0.633

ARKK:

ARKK 11/3/2020 Sell TSLA 88160R101 TESLA INC 152,802 0.6503

Perhaps a short term trade on anticipated election related volatility ?
They try to maintain a 10% position in Tesla. Dont try to read into it when they buy/sell.

Tesla Daily - half hour ago:

IMO, the recent announcement by Elon that they are considering slightly reducing the massive size of the Cybertruck is one of the factors contributing to the TSLA bump up the last two days. Take 2019 actual vehical sales numbers from Canada. Pickup trucks are outselling SUVs by a factor of 3:1, and SUVs are outselling sedans.
Elon has stated that the Model Y will outsell Models S E X combined.
If Canada (and US) is any indication there is no doubt the Cybertruck will outsell Models S E X Y combined.
By making the Cybertruck just slightly smaller, it will appeal to a far greater populace. Karen's Icelandic Tours may not be happy, but it will be for the betterment of the greater cause.
And knowing Tesla they will be able to physically make the Cybertruck smaller without compromising functionality nor interior cabin space. Of all the vehicles that will bring great recognition to Tesla, it will be the Cybertruck that makes Tesla mainstream. One more year to go. I can't wait.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.41.02 PM.png

Last edited:
IMO, the recent announcement by Elon that they are considering slightly reducing the massive size of the Cybertruck is one of the factors contributing to the TSLA bump up the last two days. Take 2019 actual vehical sales numbers from Canada. Pickup trucks are outselling SUVs by a factor of 3:1, and SUVs are outselling sedans.
If Canada (and US) is any indication there is no doubt the Cybertruck will outsell Models S E X Y combined.
By maknig the Cybertruck just slightly smaller, it will appeal to a far greater populace. Karen's Icelandic Tours may not be happy, but it will be for the betterment of the greater cause.
And knowing Tesla they will be able to physically make the Cybertruck smaller without compromising functionality nor interior cabin space. Of all the vehicles that will bring great recognition to Tesla, it will be the Cybertruck that makes Tesla mainstream. One more year to go. I can't wait.

View attachment 605235

I thought the CT was going to be the same size as a F150? When did he say they are making it smaller? I thought he decided against that?

By maknig the Cybertruck just slightly smaller, it will appeal to a far greater populace. Karen's Icelandic Tours may not be happy, but it will be for the betterment of the greater cause.

View attachment 605235
I don't think any minor tweaks will change much. Cybertruck will have a backlog for years due to the value proposition, nothing else is remotely close (Sorry not even a model Y). I unfortunately didn't put in my reservation until about a week or two post reveal so I'm probably est 200,000 in line. It might be too large for a few peoples garage, whatever put it outside...it's stainless. Or don't buy one, someone else will!

@cusetownusa I thought I had heard a rumor, don't recall the source, 1 inch narrower and 6 inches shorter. I've also read more recently that any size modifications were scrapped. So I have no idea, it matters none to my purchase, though I might prefer the larger size.