Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you a new investor by any chance?

Been accumulating my position in Tesla over the past 5-6 years and heavily accumulating over the past 1.5 years. Been investing in companies for 15 years now.

I do feel that the sentiment on this board has been altered to be accustomed to how Elon and Tesla act/present themselves and their PR/Communication, the FUD/short attacks, and the wild swings in share price/market value. We're talking about company with a market cap in the ten's of billion, not millions. A company now doing 7 billion in revenue a quarter. Some of these things are out of Tesla's control and some of them is Tesla and Elon shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly.

I can't sit here and complain about Elon's 420 secured tweet fiasco that much because it allowed me to essentially triple my position at under 300/share. But there's no denying the stock was moving towards new highs and that tweet(and the SEC mess that came after) has fundamentally changed the behavior of the stock price/market value and created a on-going cycle in insane volatility. Again, we're talking about a 50 billion company with 20-30% swings multiple times in the same year. At a certain point Tesla has to get it's act together when it comes to communication, especially Elon.

Elon say's don't buy the stock if you can't handle volatility and that's a valid comment to a certain extent. Again, Tesla switching up the strategy to lower price and close stores/move online - that's inherited volatility and it's to be expected. What is unnecessary volatility is giving unclear guidance, unclear communication, talking about important financial information not only on calls that are private but then having additional private communication with analysts and giving vital important information.

I can't blame investors for not wanting jump into this mess. This board is a treasure chest of information which vastly helps make informed decision but we're a small community.

We'd all like to say we can buy our shares and hold for however long this mess continues on but in reality sometimes life makes it so we have to sell shares before want to and before their true value is reached. Put yourself in the shoes of say an investor that bought 2 years ago and planned to sell 8 years later but has to sell their shares now or in the immediate future. The true value of higher is way higher than 276/share...…...it should be much higher but is artificially being held down because of Tesla's own mistakes...….not with their business but with their communication and Elon's recklessness

Last edited:
And Teslas will drive themselves to potential customers to offer a test drive!

I vote Elon puts this guy in the driver seat if so.

Airplane-autopilot.jpg

I believe some states block Tesla from opening service centers, and New Mexico is one. That remains a serious barrier to online sales, even if they can deliver a car to your doorstep. Ranger service is available from neighboring states but not a great solution.

Michigan is another. It has definitely hampered sales in this state but I am slowly seeing more Teslas here. But cross the state line and wow, many more Teslas.

I really don’t understand how the state can keep out service centers. Next thing they will probably argue against mobile service is that your home/work place is not a certified location to have service done by a commercial entity. But then companies like safe lite would probably fight that one....until the law is modified to exclude glass repair.

Correct, they can privately ask questions to clarify. What's management can't while it provides those clarifications, is selective disclosure. If the part of reply management gives in private is market sensitive, it must disclose that info to every one at the same time.

Yeah, and I'm sure @neroden and @Cosmacelf will agree that two parties having secret, private, off the record chat about financials, where both parties are interested in continuing these "clarification" chats in the future as well, are SUPER EASY to monitor and enforce that no material information is shared...

Especially when one of the parties is in a "two party consent" state regarding the recording of phone conversations, such as California. ;)

Seriously, this is an obvious "access is power" hotbed to transfer smaller nuggets of material non-public information illegally, while having no enforcement mechanism and good plausible deniability. I suspect Tesla IR is basically forced to play an existing game with Wall Street analysts, but the SEC is asleep at the wheel, as usual.

Last edited:
Something interesting here: the auto dealers may have done themselves a disservice by blocking Tesla in some states. Because of that, Tesla figured out they could sell cars just fine without even having a store, and get around franchise laws. There’s nothing at all stopping any other manufacturer from doing the same.
So, still 2k7 msgs behind; I agree with the first part, but not the last. IIRC a manufacturer having any franchised dealers is blocked from direct selling. The only mfg not bound by the anti-self-compete laws are those currently without dealers (in that state, presumably). IANAL, IANUSian, apply NaCl, BYOB, etc.

If they don't make the sale, they won't get the service. How many people take the car to a dealer they didn't purchase from? (Unless they move to another location or some such.)

I have bought 8 new vehicles, not one has ever been serviced at the dealer I bought it from.
If you live in a big city you shop around. You get service at closest dealer.

So, still 2k7 msgs behind; I agree with the first part, but not the last. IIRC a manufacturer having any franchised dealers is blocked from direct selling. The only mfg not bound by the anti-self-compete laws are those currently without dealers (in that state, presumably). IANAL, IANUSian, apply NaCl, BYOB, etc.
I've had to cut back my hours at work and a number of hobbies so I can keep up with this thread...

Michigan is another. It has definitely hampered sales in this state but I am slowly seeing more Teslas here. But cross the state line and wow, many more Teslas.

I really don’t understand how the state can keep out service centers. Next thing they will probably argue against mobile service is that your home/work place is not a certified location to have service done by a commercial entity. But then companies like safe lite would probably fight that one....until the law is modified to exclude glass repair.

Yeah, Michigan is missing out on a lot of sales tax revenue.

The service center side of things is another aspect of dealer protection. The OEM could undercut a dealer's costs for service and especially parts . Seems like Tesla, without dealers, should be immune. Agree on the zoning aspect of on site repair, along with glass repair.