Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep telling my wife that I’ll quit post inclusion to work at the local Tesla sales location. She doesn’t believe me.
At some point when I reached my original financial goals I thought if doing that part time for fun. However, I don’t think I couldn’t stand being nice to some kind of entitled customers complaining about everything and would just tell them off. I find it easy being nice to nice people however the reverse is also true. Haha

100% me too. I am glad I am not alone.

I love this forum/thread. You guys all seem like 'family' :D

Edit: I am super bullish on TSLA and want to get into LEAPS/Options (calls). If anyone has any 'not advice' or links to get me started please direct message me. I would love to see a 'small' amount of money have a chance to grow big since I believe TSLA will continue to grow way faster than anyone else over the next few years.

My case can be counted as "success" with LEAPS but I could have achieved somewhat close result with shares with a heck of a lot less risk. The up side I guess was developing nerves of steel when it comes to the ability to maintain high quality of decision making even when the situation gets pretty grim. Advice is to be very mindful about the fact that with LEAPS you're effectively trading leverage for timing. The stock can stay flat or fluctuate up or down within range for a long time, and if you get caught with an expiring call on a downtrend, you're going to be hurting big time. Mitigations that more or less worked for me is to have a basket with a substantial variety of strikes and expirations and to roll forward well ahead of the expiration if you want to maintain your leverage.

Note though that I did this because I thought that I have to have leverage to get to the kind of portfolio value I wanted with the initial investment that I had. That turned out to only be partially true given the crazy run we had, but of course I didn't expect such bounty 5 years ago or 3 years ago. At the moment I would not touch LEAPS personally since I don't need leverage anymore and I think the stock ran up enough to become a bit conservative at least in the short to medium term. (note: I bought a bunch of short term calls next day after S&P inclusion announcement) If we get self driving within your LEAPS time horizon, this can be a very different conversation though.

Last edited:
17X
I bought 100 shares @150 when I took delivery of my Model X in March 2016.
In my HSA. Just letting it ride.
My wife and I had steak for dinner on Nov 23 (when over $500).
We had steak and king crab legs for dinner tonight (over $600).
Not sure what we do when over $700... and how many days will it take?
The HSA should cover our Medicare payments for a few years (just started).

At some point when I reached my original financial goals I thought if doing that part time for fun. However, I don’t think I couldn’t stand being nice to some kind of entitled customers complaining about everything and would just tell them off. I find it easy being nice to nice people however the reverse is also true. Haha
I feel the same way. I would just go volunteer rather than "work" there. That way when you encounter some entitled **** you can just leave.

I was thinking the same thing. About a year ago I rolled over my entire SEP IRA (large amount of money and could have invested in TSLA) into my 401k (now limited to a handful of funds).

At the time I was fully aware of Tesla as even then I new my next car would probably be a Tesla. However, I was never one to invest in individual stocks.

Fast forward to battery day, I was all in. Put all of my Roth IRA and my taxable account into TSLA. But would have put a large amount of my 401k if I could have.

anyways, I have done well over the last few months but still feel very poor here. Lol

When it comes down to it, there is no other stock that I have as much confidence in as TSLA. Its tempting to try and grab a few of the big gainers short term along the way but the issue is I don't know of any! Therefore, I will be investing what I have available to me in TSLA. I'd be gambling if I tried anything else at this point.

Hearing about people managing 10% a day is insane but I don't know those stocks or how to do it.

For the first time since 2013, I have initiated a series of incremental limit orders to sell some shares. If my wildest estimates all come true then I will have sold 1.2% of my shares. After all this time holding (and understanding the potential of Tesla), I find this incredibly hard to do. I am consoling myself with the idea that I can buy many of those shares back after the inclusion wave. Just the thought of parting with those shares has started a grief process for me. I doubt anybody in my daily life would understand this. I suspect some of you might...;)

I will update this post in Christmas week if you would like.

Forward Observer

This year has caught me off guard.

I have told my GrandPups (real grandchildren) how my mother taught me accounting. In the spring of 1955, I was 5; my Mom took me to the store to buy a kite. Decisions, decisions, decisions ~ Title of my high school speech. Back to my point. My mom showed me two kites, one for $0.15 and one for $0.25. The price included string. The box kite looked so much better than the ordinary tail kite. I looked at her and stuck out my hand with $0.15. She smiled, and said, “you can afford the $0.15 kite, but you will have to work two more weeks for the box kite.” Hauling trash in those days did not pay wello_O But the box kite was cool:cool:

Earlier this year, I began journaling TSLA shares to my two GrandPups. Foolishly I assumed the glass ceiling of inheritance taxes was not in my future. How do you teach kids today the shares you gave them under $600 per share have exploded; and oh by the way, when you were not looking, it split by five. They could buy a squadron of kites today.:eek: Both did the math on their own:D

Last edited:
Where I think analysts really fail when they compare Tesla to other automakers is in the value of software. Premium connectivity is $10/mo. A subscription FSD could be $250/mo. Assume 80% of fleet takes premium connectivity, and 20% of fleet does the FSD subscription. In a couple years the fleet will be about 5M units, so that would be 4M people paying $10/mo and 1M people paying $250/mo. That's almost $300M a month in almost pure profit. I don't see Toyota, VW, Ford, GM, or anyone else pulling in that kind of software revenue. Maybe they'll make a few hundred K a year selling GPS map upgrades, but that's it.

And each year those numbers will continue to rise as the fleet gets bigger. The take rate numbers I just made up, so they could be significantly higher (or lower), but it's not that crazy to me that Tesla could be making close to $1B a month in software revenue in 5 years. And that's w/o any kind of robotaxi network.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how Tesla is keeping 100% of the payments for premium connectivity. Surely, they pay AT&T a decent sum for the fleet....?

Not your Moderator
Not your thread's originator/"owner"

But somebodies decided that poetry did not belong in this thread.

Well, who am I to rain on that cretinous neanderthalism? Not I. Not today, at any rate.

BUT.....

those who wish, and who share other worthies' high regard for Canada's greatest folk singer of all time, might saddle up and mosey on along to the just-opened thread commemorating the upcoming arrival of a Supercharger in beautiful Canmore, BC:

Supercharger - Canmore, AB

This is exactly what I do...and I believe I do make a difference when defending Tesla. But I am only one person and like I said, perception becomes reality for a lot of people. Which is why FUD against Tesla can be effective for a lot of people.

also, thanks to the people that actually responded to me with helpful information instead of just hitting disagree or funny. I am new here and I want to make sure I am not an idiot for investing in Tesla or wanting to buy a Tesla. When most people in my life say Tesla is overvalued, or has poor quality and service, it makes you think. Just doing my due diligence.

There is a difference between you stating Tesla has all these issues and then later stating it’s perception. You initially sounded kinda trollish. Hence my initial disagree. Tesla’s reputation is improving, not the other way around. But as you know, you can always find naysayers.

JD powers survey is a joke. Here’s a video explaining why.

Consumer reports autopilot rating is a joke. Here’s a video explaining why.

Until people actually drive a Tesla, they don’t have a clue....at all....period.

There is a difference between you stating Tesla has all these issues and then later stating it’s perception. You initially sounded kinda trollish. Hence my initial disagree. Tesla’s reputation is improving, not the other way around. But as you know, you can always find naysayers.

JD powers survey is a joke. Here’s a video explaining why.

Consumer reports autopilot rating is a joke. Here’s a video explaining why.

Until people actually drive a Tesla, they don’t have a clue....at all....period.

thanks for the follow up...but in my defense I never said Tesla had all of these issues, I specifically asked about the reputation (which to me means perception as I believe perception is reality) and about a new competitors vehicle and how that may affect future sales and or stock price. Never was trying to be toxic, just trying to gather information as to why I should stay invested and still want to buy a Tesla.

I agree that Tesla’s reputation is improving but that is just my opinion. I like to get other peoples opinion, albeit, they may be a bit biased here. Can’t wait to drive my first Tesla so experience it first hand.

thanks for the follow up...but in my defense I never said Tesla had all of these issues, I specifically asked about the reputation (which to me means perception as I believe perception is reality) and about a new competitors vehicle and how that may affect future sales and or stock price. Never was trying to be toxic, just trying to gather information as to why I should stay invested and still want to buy a Tesla.

I agree that Tesla’s reputation is improving but that is just my opinion. I like to get other peoples opinion, albeit, they may be a bit biased here. Can’t wait to drive my first Tesla so experience it first hand.

This was the line I was referring to. (Not a question.). Oh well. No big deal.

but I know a Tesla is starting to get a bad reputation

FUD has been around since their inception. It seems to increase when their stock price increases. It sticks to people that seem to want to believe it. Often first hand experience dispels that belief.

So as not to trade entirely in a bubble, ideas on what I should be doing due to Tesla entering the index?

Should I buy puts in APPL, MSFT, AMZN and FB as they will be sold off the index to accommodate TSLA?

Or should I long FB calls? Musk said he would buy Facebook so he can delete it.

Did Elon Musk Offer to Buy and Delete Facebook?

Supposedly it's satire but it's REAL TO ME DAMNIT.

What's the takeout price going to be for TSLA on FB?

813 Billion just to clown Zuck would be a better use than cutting us dividend checks. :D

Forward Observer

This year has caught me off guard.

I have told my GrandPups (real grandchildren) how my mother taught me accounting. In the spring of 1955, I was 5; my Mom took me to the store to buy a kite. Decisions, decisions, decisions ~ Title of my high school speech. Back to my point. My mom showed me two kites, one for $0.15 and one for $0.25. The price included string. The box kite looked so much better than the ordinary tail kite. I looked at her and stuck out my hand with $0.15. She smiled, and said, “you can afford the $0.15 kite, but you will have to work two more weeks for the box kite.” Hauling trash in those days did not pay wello_O But the box kite was cool:cool:

Earlier this year, I began journaling TSLA shares to my two GrandPups. Foolishly I assumed the glass ceiling of inheritance taxes was not in my future. How do you teach kids today the shares you gave them under $600 per share have exploded; and oh by the way, when you were not looking, it split by five. They could buy a squadron of kites today.:eek: Both did the math on their own:D
Just give it a few years and they can buy the kite manufacturer....good luck trying to explain that :)