Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the line I was referring to. (Not a question.). Oh well. No big deal.

FUD has been around since their inception. It seems to increase when their stock price increases. It sticks to people that seem to want to believe it. Often first hand experience dispels that belief.

maybe you are right based on how I worded it. When I wrote gaining a bad reputation I wasn’t personally saying I believe Tesla has all these issue, I was just referring to the reputation of Tesla that publications like JD powers and Consumer reports portray about quality issues put in the public mind and if people here are concerned this could affect future sales.

the more I think about it based on some of the helpful responses I received, is that all company’s will have people that hate on it no matter what. Not all companies, no matter how successful (ie Apple) have universal positive agreement that they have the best product. Overall, Tesla will succeed regardless of the many haters out there and that more legit EV options will help promote Tesla and the entire EV movement.

Last edited:
Musk said he would buy Facebook so he can delete it.

IMO "social media" especially Twitter and Facebook only have one substantial asset, their customer base.

Anyone can duplicate the technology at anytime, make a better product, and become fashionable.

I'm aware Facebook does have some good 3D Virtual Reality tech...

Anyway rather than buy Facebook, Musk should make a better version of Facebook, that would be cheaper, and might actually improve the world.

Like you, I dislike Facebook and Zuck, I always have, it adds nothing constructive to society or the economy and from what I can gather, is a hotbed of insults, and nonsense arguments..

:p:p:p
what size? My wife wears the smallest available (and they are for HER...I suspect different for some on here). And I think they are doing production of the most common sizes first.
Size small for my GF but now I’m going to shadow box them along with Tesla’s stock chart as a commemorative trophy from all the shorts out there! :p

C11CC6F4-2555-4946-93A3-82E7004B37B7.jpeg

Do the math.

Intersting conversation with my MIL today who spoke to her Edwards Jones financial advisor. She specifically asked about TSLA and he discouraged it. "I can't recommend TSLA and we are not allowed to invest in TSLA". Interesting because she is completely content making 2-4% on her money. Wonder what her FA can recommend that outperforms TSLA? She thinks whatever this guy says is gospel. Also discouraged her grand kids (my sons) in investing in TSLA because "with little money they should spread it around." Funny how everyone has such a different opinion when it comes to investing.

Also discouraged her grand kids (my sons) in investing in TSLA because "with little money they should spread it around." Funny how everyone has such a different opinion when it comes to investing.

You should do what some other people here have done: Tell your kids that you will match the first $x thousand dollars that they invest in to TSLA if they promise they will hold it for at least y years.

Intersting conversation with my MIL today who spoke to her Edwards Jones financial advisor. She specifically asked about TSLA and he discouraged it. "I can't recommend TSLA and we are not allowed to invest in TSLA". Interesting because she is completely content making 2-4% on her money. Wonder what her FA can recommend that outperforms TSLA? She thinks whatever this guy says is gospel. Also discouraged her grand kids (my sons) in investing in TSLA because "with little money they should spread it around." Funny how everyone has such a different opinion when it comes to investing.
Whew, I went back and read that it is your Mother-in-law. I'd have killed the sumbitch out right if a "financial advisor" had done that to my mother.
But seriously....isn't that completely against basic investing when it comes to not risking your investment in the early stages...what about his friggin fidoucheiary responsibility?

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant
Where I think analysts really fail when they compare Tesla to other automakers is in the value of software. Premium connectivity is $10/mo. A subscription FSD could be $250/mo. Assume 80% of fleet takes premium connectivity, and 20% of fleet does the FSD subscription. In a couple years the fleet will be about 5M units, so that would be 4M people paying $10/mo and 1M people paying $250/mo. That's almost $300M a month in almost pure profit.k.

With $50 per month the take rate would be closer to 100%, so the same revenue. it could be a zero game for the customer with reduced insurance costs. The world would be a safer place. It would help to sell more Tesla’s. Why this high price, Elon? For (robo)taxis and semi’s, I get it. For regular people, I don’t.

Last edited:
At some point when I reached my original financial goals I thought if doing that part time for fun. However, I don’t think I couldn’t stand being nice to some kind of entitled customers complaining about everything and would just tell them off. I find it easy being nice to nice people however the reverse is also true. Haha

Having worked in professional services this long... asshole clients don’t really phase me anymore. Or maybe that’s the Tesla gains talking, who knows...

With $50 per moth the take rate would be closer to 100%, so the same revenue. it could be a zero game for the customer with reduced insurance costs. The world would be a safer place. It would help to sell more Tesla’s. Why this high price, Elon? For (robo)taxis and semi’s, I get it. For regular people, I don’t.

Regarding FSD, maybe have two subscription levels that defines who can use it. Personal ($50: designated family and friends only) and Commercial ($250: part of the full-time taxi fleet).

Insurance cost would vary with calculated risk exposure in either case.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how Tesla is keeping 100% of the payments for premium connectivity. Surely, they pay AT&T a decent sum for the fleet....?

The largest cost is likely already incurred whether you pay for premium or not. The fleet is already connected to LTE (soon to be 5G) and has navigation. The incremental cost of streaming service access is likely immaterial relative to the monthly fees they collect for premium connectivity. So, it would be mostly pure profit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhanson865
There are plenty of people who value not losing anything over maximizing returns. You can find them everywhere around you. It's important to realize what outliers aggressive individual investors are, if you only hang out here you may never know how rare it is to find people who are willing to risk everything they have, up to and including their entire life savings, for something with anything less than 100% chance of success.

All I know is I am bitter at myself for not rolling over an IRA I had available to me many years ago and go with TSLA. Here I am sitting here trying to jump and hope its at an OK time. Could wait for the pull back.....but that just may never happen.

DCA. I am still adding shares to my position, even today. I wouldn’t try to time any dips, bc they are incredibly difficult to time perfectly in the long run, DCA is a much better approach if you are a long term HODLer. In 5-10 years the numbers today are still incredibly undervalued in my opinion.

Uber is selling their autonomous driving program. Makes one wonder if Tesla’s now-obvious lead is making their competitors give up hopes on catching up to them.

Article is paywalled, but essentially they are transferring their 1,200-person team to competitor Aurora while taking a partial stake, with their stake now valued at about $4B, compared to its prior $7.5B valuation earlier last year.

Uber abandons effort to develop own self-driving vehicle
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

My wife and I had steak for dinner on Nov 23 (when over $500).
We had steak and king crab legs for dinner tonight (over $600).
Not sure what we do when over $700... and how many days will it take?
The HSA should cover our Medicare payments for a few years (just started).

Time for some Kobe or at least Wagyu beef, duh! :p

Astonishing lack of coverage about Toyota's new BEV platform. I saw only this: Toyota announces new all-electric SUV coming soon - Electrek

In years gone by this would have been the rallying cry for bears and hateful journalists alike; the moment when the biggest of the big boys finally deigns it time to dip their +4 Toe Of Crushing into the water and announce a vehicle that will "kill Tesla." If anyone could do it, Toyota "the Priusmaker" Motor Corp could do it, right?

Instead we get nary a whimper from the press... not even CNBC, the Verge or L.A. Times mentioned it.

We're in a new era. Even the press knows there is no such thing as a Tesla Killer now, and stay away from using that term. Legacy automakers, once lauded for their ability to effortlessly churn out large numbers of pixel-perfect cars with no panel gaps (something Tesla simply can't do, boo hoo), are in fact clearly seen to be lagging by varying degrees from "quite a bit" to "a bloody enormous amount" - with no clear road for any of them to catch up or surpass Tesla.

Have we moved along another notch on the Mahatma Ghandi Scale?