Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any time there is an event that is far enough out in the future like the SP500 inclusion there will be plans made to act on what is expected. Even most of us long believe the stock will go up and then drop back a little, not a deep drop like the bears but some small pull back. Short will certainly take advantage of this event. With any luck the shorts will get screwed like they have ever single time but either way TSLA will be fine in the long run.

As far as options this week I have created a GIF that starts on the 11th. It appears someone is buying ITM Calls with a strike of $600. To me that seems like something I would do if I was a benchmark fund. It's not as deep in the money as I would go but it has a pretty high chance of guaranteeing shares on Friday and if you buy them on the silly dips you might even come out ahead as compared to the Index funds that are buying on the day.

I am sure today someone is loading up on Puts under the $630 strike because to them this dip proves the inclusion means nothing and the price will actually drop. Got to love bears.

THEY are going to make a pretty penny off all this speculation in both directions. THe GIF maker clipped off all the $$$ at the bottom.
Far right is $700
Middle is $600
Left side is $500

$650 is that pop right of center and you can see that is probably where the market thinks things will hold on Friday. Everything else (except for $600 altho 600 Puts are catching up) is filling in evenly for the most part on both Puts and Calls. That tells me the range THEY like is $600-$650 for the best profits in their pocket. All strikes between $500 and $700 seem to be planned for already. If we head over $700 THEY might have to start hedging.

Oddly look at how the $550 strike Puts are loading up? Someone really thinks we are heading for a drop or they are protection Puts.

That's my grain of salt. Have fun on the roller coaster this week.

TSLA gif.gif

With volume this low and no upward price pressure it doesn’t feel like the index funds are already buying today (the ones that are allowed to do so). And speculators that didn’t chicken out last week will probably not be flipping their shares at this level, knowing that the real demand still has to come. If I were them, I’d wait and see what the next few days bring. But who am I?
aren’t you Moderator of the stock market too?
Dang, I was sure I was getting insider info ;)

OT, I know. The first direct experience I ever had with vehicular love at first sight was an event that happened when I was twelve years old. While passing by a local gasoline station on my bicycle I saw a handsome man and a beautiful older lady (20`s maybe) in a red series 1 Jaguar XK-E convertible. I recognized the car from my vice of Sports Cars Illustrated. I went up to them and looked wistfully. The lady asked if I wanted a ride, and her male companion acquiesced. It took another 40 years before I owned a Jaguar convertible myself... another 25 years and I wait impatiently for my Tesla Roadster.
OT
The Jaguar XK-E was one of three automobiles ever to be displayed in New York's Museum of Modern Art.
Way OT
I knew someone that owned Tony Curtis' old XK-E. It was a real beauty, as I remember it was BRG with saddle interior , but it had a dent in the hood (bonnet). I asked him why he didn't get it fixed and he told me rumor was it was made Marilyn Monroe backside.
Sorry...

I am absolutely livid.

Wired funds to TDAmeritrade during/just after today's first freefall.

Then I watched the second freefall unfold. Placed a limit order, 100 shares @ $625 even -- very close to the amount I had wired.

Order executes. "Wow."

You SOLD 100 shares @ 625

I find your post confusing. Why would you be livid that your order executed as instructed?

I am absolutely livid.

Wired funds to TDAmeritrade during/just after today's first freefall.

Then I watched the second freefall unfold. Placed a limit order, 100 shares @ $625 even -- very close to the amount I had wired.

Order executes. "Wow."

You SOLD 100 shares @ 625
Whoa!

Thanks for posting this. It made me go back and double check my limit orders.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
With volume this low and no upward price pressure it doesn’t feel like the index funds are already buying today (the ones that are allowed to do so). And speculators that didn’t chicken out last week will probably not be flipping their shares at this level, knowing that the real demand still has to come. If I were them, I’d wait and see what the next few days bring. But who am I?
Yeah thanks! Now it's getting serious. In addition to my core holding of Tesla shares at an average price of ~ 148 EUR (~180 USD), I have just decided to go all-in. According to my account balance, that's 3 more shares! FTW!

I find your post confusing. Why would you be livid that your order executed as instructed?

It was a mistake. You are right, though. Should have made clear am livid at myself, not Dr. Evil or anyone else. I bought back 100 at 626.6. If I sell, it happens once or twice a year max. This was a first.

Still flabbergasted that I could manage to accidentally press SELL in all red in lieu of BUY. It's practically muscle memory.

But, gun to my head as to whether I or TDAmeritrade's system messed up? I'm going with me as the one who erred, 100% of the time.

Also, I had typed that post out way earlier today. Decided against posting. So was surprised to see you quote it now. And oddly enough that's an eerily similar pattern of mistake to what I just described... Maybe time to log.

Sometimes HODL > HODL + buy

I've yet to have anyone explain why the big firms would do this.

Index funds exist to mirror the index, not beat it.

So they don't care what they paid for their shares.

It's been explained to you multiple times - you're just not listening.

All the players here (S&P, S&P Index funds, and benchmarked funds) all have a vested interest in distorting the market as little as possible. Their interests are not served if they pay more than the stocks are worth a month later. Yes, they match the index but the index has risen unnecessarily and they paid artificially high prices if the market then declines. This does not make their customers money - it makes money for those who are not their customers (and at their customer's expense). It's about ensuring there is adequate supply of shares so the market is distorted as little as possible.

Get it now?

Last edited:

It's happened to me because I was in a hurry and didn't see that "SELL" was listed. TDA has a review where you are supposed to examine your instructions and he probably did the same as I did and just was in too much a hurry to bother reviewing. In my case I saw some of my shares get sold so I immediately bought back what was sold but still there was a bit of loss to my mistake.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1338895830154141697

Not new, but Elon is sticking to what he said a while ago, while it is not clear how they want to produce cells on site while they haven´t even applied for a permit for that.. (as officials said in a public hearing I think last week).

Elon said:
Giga Berlin-Brandenburg will be the first to use our new structural pack architecture, 4680 (world’s most advanced cells, made on-site), both front & rear body castings & advanced paint shop. Warning: with so much new technology, production timing is naturally harder to predict.

• Informative
Reactions: skybluecgreen
So where do Fremont Road Runner 4680's go? I thought conventional wisdom was they would go to Berlin for the startup?

Surely they have to be going to Berlin.

Germany requires detailed plans to be submitted for buildings - like what we have already seen for phase 1 of GigaBerlin. I haven't seen any plans being submitted for a cell factory. I can't see any way they could stand up a cell factory at GigaBerlin to be producing any cells by the time they want to start building MY in the middle of next year.

The cells need to come from somewhere else, or the MY launch would need to be delayed.

Reactions: capster
13:06 ET - Tesla CEO Elon Musk signals that building the new Berlin car plant comes with challenges that could affect when cars start rolling off the line. The factory now under construction will use new battery cells and new structural parts for the cars. Musk tweets: "Warning: with so much new technology, production timing is naturally harder to predict." Tesla previously said production at the facility is expected to start next year. Tesla falls 1.2% to $632. ([email protected])

13:06 ET - Tesla CEO Elon Musk signals that building the new Berlin car plant comes with challenges that could affect when cars start rolling off the line. The factory now under construction will use new battery cells and new structural parts for the cars. Musk tweets: "Warning: with so much new technology, production timing is naturally harder to predict." Tesla previously said production at the facility is expected to start next year. Tesla falls 1.2% to $632. ([email protected])

People don't pay attention...
Elon said all this in October:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1313854912212750346
"Berlin will use 4680 cell with structural battery pack & front & rear single piece castings. Also, a new paint system. Lot of new technology will happen in Berlin, which means significant production risk. Fremont & Shanghai will transition in ~2 years when new tech is proven."