Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
400BB7B7-167A-4511-8018-906DDE2669A1.jpeg

Merry Christmas to you all!

Thank you Elon, thank you TMC for turning a terrible year into a positive one.

Many thanks for sharing @Blue horseshoe , highly interesting and helpful. One of my main fears (here's that word again) is that my core shares or LEAPS are getting called away and I'm not able to participate in the "unlimited" upside of both positions (FOMO!). This strategy seems to be a great answer to this challenge.

There is no single best strategy in selling covered calls. If you are ready to bail out of your long held low basis shares and wish to collect a little extra cash too, then increase your risk of getting your shares called away by selling covered calls while the stock in on a tare up. But I wanted to stay in the game and collect a little extra cash along the way and keep my shares, I did weekly covered calls week after week with a strike that was just one level higher than the "smart" money that was buying calls. It greatly reduced my risk of losing all my long held shares at the sacrifice of a little more premium. That period is not now. We're too volatile and too much risk. But it was in good in 2019. Somewhat in 2018 too. Look at the chart. The strategy did fail when the IV increased and I missed it to buy back my options. So, I lost all my shares. However, I did make enough cash to buy a Model 3. Unfortunately, I had to begin buying back my shares at a much higher cost so I used a different strategy trading shares on the old buy low sell high game where eventually over several months I had a zero basis in my shares. I have not sold covered calls since that turn from flat to an increase that end of October 2019 week where everything got called away. IV has been high now and I just trade shares while using the gains to buy more Tesla shares.

Selling covered calls assumes you have multiples of 100 share blocks. If I get back into it again, I plan to keep some of my shares long and not touch them. I since have met my goals this year to pay cash for a Model Y and plan to do that after a few upgrades are in play, maybe mid summer. That will coincide with the timing to trade my Nissan Leaf as it's warranty is running out.

The 2020 Red Model S was paid for using my strategy on several stocks including Tesla stock. That's another story on how I did that but my philosophy is I don't want any monthly payments as I am retired and no income except a small SS check. So my fun money has to come from my investments.

When to sell covered calls safely.png

Selling covered calls doesn't mean you have to be branded a bear on Tesla growth. It is just a strategy to add some income from a stock that is rangebound or in a temporary bear market. I also don't like using Margin or buying calls with cash on hand. I don't keep cash on hand. I like diversity and always have something that can be sold for a nice gain. Most recently I made 4X on FuboTV and now selling for a nice profit. I also am holding on NIO but will sell half when it doubles lowering my basis to zero. This is my second round with NIO as I made 3X before. when it was bought below $3.

I know many will say what I did was wrong but it's hard to argue with success. My Tesla was bought with the right timing on mouse clicks and now I have more shares of Tesla than before.

I don't know how that reviewer can claim the Mach-e is impressive and "stands tall" against the Model Y in "most competitive measures".

The most glaring deficiency is really basic. To get comparable range and AWD in the Mach-e it's necessary to get the Premium Model with the extended range battery which costs $54,700 before delivery charge. That's $4,700 MORE than the Model Y Long Range which has significantly more range (326 miles of EPA certified range vs. 270 miles of EPA targeted range for Ford). That's a whopping difference of 56 miles less range for $4,700 more money.

Because the Tesla is considerably more aerodynamic the range deficiency will almost certainly be greater than this in the real world where it matters most - on the freeway going 70-75 mph. These vehicles are not even in the same ball-park. And that's before we talk about the huge disparity in safety and convenience features. The Ford doesn't come with the Tesla Autopilot and the safety features will not match Tesla's. The Ford doesn't have crash safety ratings yet but they can't beat Tesla's (and I'm confident they won't even match them).

The Model Y has 14% more cu. ft. of cargo capacity with the rear seats folded forward. The Model Y is 500 lbs. lighter so I'm betting it feels more nimble and drives better. 500 lbs. is a lot of extra weight, the equivalent of having two very large men in the car at all times (in addition to the driver and whatever else is in there). I could go on and on but it baffles me how any reviewer could say it compares favorably with the Model in "most competitive measures". These differences in range and weight derive directly from Tesla's superior EV technology. When you have to put in a considerably larger battery to get less range, all kinds of bad effects compound including driving dynamics. It's a BIG deal. This also means the Fords electric bill will be quite a bit higher over the life of the vehicle.

No one can compete with Tesla on price for what you get. And that is Tesla's real advantage and it's likely to grow, not shrink because Tesla is just starting to optimize production. The Ford will find some buyers because there are always people out there that don't understand how handicapped the Mach-e is vs. the Model Y or maybe they like the way the Mach-e looks. But that's not what it means to compare favorably in "most competitive measures". A porky lower range car for thousands more simply won't entice that many buyers.

Yes, the Mach-E doesn't compare favorably to the Model Y on a one-to-one basis.

But allow me to explain why, in my opinion, that doesn't actually matter.

Let's assume for a moment that the Mach-E is a perfect match for the Model Y. Same total range, same energy efficiency (therefore same battery capacity), same top charging rate (therefore same charging costs at public chargers), same storage space etc. Let's assume the only differences are the availability of the Supercharger network and the tech that comes with the Model Y (different UI, frequent OTA updates, AutoPilot and the impending availability of FSD).

Will the Mach-E, having such amazing performance for a crossover, steal market share from the Model Y? Or will it, in fact, popularise EV technology even beyond what Tesla managed to achieve, simply by being a "legacy automaker" that entered the field, signalling a clear shift in the industry? And if such popularisation of EV tech occurs, does that not, in fact, translate into a wider "market"? A bigger pie, a proportional slice of which also gets bigger? Does each new competitive (or at least sellable) EV model really "steal market share" from Tesla, or from ICE vehicles?

Most people already agree that Tesla cars have better performance compared to any ICE car of the same class, even people who then go on to claim that they don't want to get a Tesla because panel gaps, poor build quality, poor servicing, lack of dealerships, Elon is an a$$hole, whatever. Well, fine! What happens when there are multiple cars from legacy automakers with similar superior performance? What snowball's chance in hell will ICE cars have at that point? What will the size of the EV addressable market be then? And assuming Tesla manages to retain 20% (let's play it super-duper-safe!), how many Model Y units will they be able to shift?

Answer: all of them!

An example to point out how I think this will play out:
- how many smartphones were available on the market in 2007, when the iPhone was launched?
- how many smartphones were available one year later, when the "news" already had time to get out there's a new product class?
- how many iPhone units did Apple sell in 2007 and 2008?

Then,
- how much competition was there for the iPhone in the smartphone market 10 years later, in 2018?
- how many of the competing smartphones could mostly match the iPhone's technical performance, and available at significantly lower prices?
- how many iPhone units did Apple sell in 2018 (last year Apple would report the actual number of units)?

Now, can we relax about this "competition" nonsense? The only way Tesla fails is through a self-inflicted wound.

Merry Christmas!
Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 16.22.14.png

A big AGREE to this. Even though the numbers are out in the open; all the data about the production capacity of the factory, and the demand in China and the rest of Asia etc. it still seems like mostly everyone is severly underestimating the potential of this market. So many people are stuck in the past where "Made in China" ment poor quality. And a lot of smart people have no clue what at beast the Chinese economy is and how many new millionaires and affluent middle class people are being created over there every year.
To wit:
China middle class adjusted for automobile purchase capacity, with household internet access: >700 million
Source:
How well-off is China's middle class?
USA total Population: 332 million [source: UN Population center]
Almost all analysts underestimate China's auto market potential because the household income definitions show lower money income than do comparable Western markets. of course, obviously, disposable income is proportionately higher than in nearly all Western countries. That does make China the world's largest auto market already.

It is dramatic to note that the Chinese middle class is twice the size of total population of the USA. That's deceptive because China's car buyers are younger and richer than those indications.
Clues: JLR has China as their second largest single market. GM derives ~40% of their sales from China. source: behind an industry paywall so I cannot give precise numbers.
Perhaps the biggest cause come from sales of Ferrari, for example:
New Ferrari boom, sales up 71% in China and Taiwan - Xinhua Silk Road
My company subscribes to an auto industry up to date database on a vast array of automotive data. In aggregate it is evident that the global auto industry knows China is their most important market and component supplier.
Tesla has proven that they understand that and are the only foreign auto/renewables provider who has been so adept at understanding how to succeed in China.
Most of us as investors know that. Most of us totally miss just how consequential that is.
I another year of so, when Tesla's next China Gigafactory is announced don't be surprised to find it in Nanning or Quanzhou. It will be probably located to be very convenient to the giant markets of Southwest China as well as ideal for exports to Southeast Asia and other places. Of course they'll also be building designed-in-China vehicles oriented towards vehicle sizes and types desired from most of Europe to most of the rest of the world. Such a location is ideally located to support less vertically integrated factories and assembly plants from countries which have the majority of world population and gigantic markets that are often biased towards domestic production.

The next phases will take Tesla to the continuing >40% annual growth rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for on topic.
I was thinking about those S&P500 benchmarked funds and the affect of them buying and the following scenario crossed my mind: if a fund doesn't understand TSLA and doesn't want to buy it, but at the same time doesn't want to be left behind the BM, it could be a great strategy to buy every time it goes below $695 and sell every time it goes over. Sounds like a very logical trade to me and I started to think maybe to match it with my trades (even though I forgot where is the sell button). On the other side - it is hard to do when there are doezens of funds trying to implement the same strategy, they might overshoot quickly.

Every time? That may only happen once, after crossing $700 we could never see the six-hundreds again. In the recent past (pre-split) there have been days where we skipped a hundred entirely!

Omar Qazi needs our help to defend himself against TeslaQ. Please consider donating or at least informing yourself about what’s going on by reading his blog. Link below.

Merry Christmas All.

Merry Christmas, and Thank You ♥️
I’ve been following this and agree he needs our help. I just donated $1,000.

"New Model 3 Made in China SR+ Tesla Review" | Lara's new MiC LFP Model 3 for €33K is the least expensive Tesla now available in Europe:

Her car is one of the 1st shipment of 7K MiC Model 3s from Fall 2020. Excellent build quality with good range plus fast charging. Tesla will sell (more) boatloads of these cars. :D

Cheers!
Good video.
Some pros she mentions:
good build quality, she found no problems
quiet
fast
fun to drive
smartphone access
car recognizes driver and adjusts seat and steering wheel
water from roof doesn't flow into the trunk
preconditioning via smartphone
roomy back seat
spacious storage
comfortable suspension
new headlights
low price: 36,000 Swiss francs

Some cons she mentions:
phantom braking
gets speed limits wrong
no heat pump
old console
front windows don't go all the way down

My favorite part was the information that the car comes with two pedals.

I was thinking about those S&P500 benchmarked funds and the affect of them buying and the following scenario crossed my mind: if a fund doesn't understand TSLA and doesn't want to buy it, but at the same time doesn't want to be left behind the BM, it could be a great strategy to buy every time it goes below $695 and sell every time it goes over. Sounds like a very logical trade to me

I don't think it's that straightforward; most importantly, you're not accounting for the movement of the index itself.

To give an extreme example, let's say the S&P 500 is up 10% and meanwhile you buy TSLA at 694 and sell at 696. Sure that's a small profit, but you're behind the performance of the benchmark. On the other hand, if instead in the same time frame you bought at 700 and sold at 800, you'd be ahead of the benchmark despite buying above 695.

I guess the remaining relevance of the $695 price is that if you wanted to become equal weight in TSLA today, you'd have to sell off less other stuff than the S&P index funds sold off. But if you were to do that, it's not clear why you'd later want to sell your TSLA -- you'd have to have gained enough understanding to determine when TSLA progress had slowed to the point where you could make more profit with that money someplace else -- compared to the S&P index funds that will just keep holding it indefinitely and benefit from any future TSLA gains.