Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was doing a thought experiment today and I think Tesla Energy will follow the disruption of Tesla Auto sooner than anyone expects.

1. I might be dumb but I think the can be regional power shortages in the near future. Will utilities be successful to deploy/acquire energy sources quick enough when the significant increase of Tesla Autos entering the market requiring energy will exceed their power grid's capacities? We are already starting to see Tesla Solar/Solar Roof/Powerwall demand skyrocket in areas with high energy costs and intermittent outages.
This has been discussed many, many times in the past. It will only become an issue when about 50% of cars (not 50% of cars sold) are electric because most charge at night when other usage is low.

Design Your Model S | Tesla

Plaid is ready for order...what!!

MUST NOT ORDER.
Was that a question? Like, Must order, not?
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 4.27.28 PM.png

If true, that is to me some of the worst news out of the investment world I’ve seen in recent times. Have none of you not been aware how the existence of derivative instruments makes it so phenomenally easy for mischief makers to impact not only the price of a security, but the underlying company (basket fund, in this case)? Have you not been paying attention to the misfortunes of TSLA over the past years? Do you not truly grasp what the fundamental nature of an ETF is and how unwholesome it would be to the fund and its managers were that to occur to them?

I am at a loss for polite words.
Double negative aside, I'm not following how derivatives on an ETF would matter. There are already derivatives on the underlying holdings. The ETF itself doesn't need to go to market to raise funds or float bonds, which seemed to be what the short's were trying to make difficult by pushing down the apparent credit worthiness with their FUD. Given ARK has no "product" to review negatively or file false claims against, and has no need to raise capitol by selling shares or borrowing, please explain what it is we (okay I) do not truly grasp.

When hard lockdowns were put in place in March(not just in US, but around the world), Tesla was unable to deliver. Everything here in Seattle was shut down...no deliveries were happening at all. They hadn't yet switched over to remote deliveries on a wide scale like they did in Q2.

I don't recall that and this articles indicate deliveries in the Seattle area continued through the end of March:

Tesla’s lost end-of-quarter push does number on deliveries (detroitnews.com)

Tesla did still deliver some cars as the quarter came to a close, even to areas hit hard by the virus. Howard Feinstein, who lives in a rural community outside Seattle, took delivery of his $69,200 Model Y Performance on March 28. Two Tesla employees dropped off the vehicle directly to his house.
“Tesla went out of their way to make sure that we didn’t have any contact,” Feinstein said in a phone interview. “We went over the plan by phone prior to their arrival, and the employees always stood more than 10 feet away from me.”

Design Your Model S | Tesla

Plaid is ready for order...what!!

MUST NOT ORDER.

Yes, you know you want it.
But, it’s a lot of money.
0-60 in under 2 seconds and 520+ of range - oh yeah
But, if you invest the price of the car in TSLA you will be rich.
I already am rich.
But, you already have a Tesla.
So what? It’s freakin Plaid and I’m doing it! - NEED MORE TESLA!

Tesla should just buy a suitable regional grid and fix it to show everyone what can be done.
I don't reveal what goes on behind NDAs; this is not one of them.

I have been frustratingly working with (sometimes, it seems, against) Tesla on-again-off-again for years on just such a project. Our grid is, however, so utterly minuscule - about ten customers - that I think we stand behind a few zillion Pacific and Caribbean islands in their priority ranking. It's not so gelid in any of those sites, as well.

I trust your intentions are good (absent evidence to the contrary) and that you spend energy to research and write these articles because you want the world to transition to sustainable energy as rapidly as possible.

I trust Alex's intentions are to most accurately convey the facts to his readers so they can make informed opinions. Actual facts are an important part of smart decision making.

With due respect to you, I question however, the method you have chosen in this article.

The article uses the words “lie” and “cheat” multiple times while referring to Volkswagen. Once one party has branded (explicitly or otherwise) the second party as lying or cheating, the second party is no longer available for influence. A line has been drawn with the two parties on either side of it doing battle with each other rather than working together to solve a problem.

You can't solve a problem until you have gathered the facts. Yes, Alex used the words "lie" and cheat". That's because these words have specific meanings that are easily understood and they accurately represented the facts he was conveying. This is how one uses language to communicate and inform most effectively.

Instead of "lie" he could have substituted "used alternative facts that are contradicted by the totality of the evidence we have". But what would that have accomplished? It would actually be less accurate than the simple and straightforward word "lie" because everyone knows what that word means. Instead of "cheat" he could have said "craftily interpreted the rules in a manner that subverted the very purpose of the rules". However, I find the word "cheat" to be more easily understandable and a more accurate representation of what actually happened.

Empathy is generally a good thing to employ but not if it obscures important facts and leads to a fuzzier understanding of the very things you are reporting on.

I don't recall that and this articles indicate deliveries in the Seattle area continued through the end of March:

Tesla’s lost end-of-quarter push does number on deliveries (detroitnews.com)

Yeah I should have rephrased part of that post, but I don't really like going back and re-editing posts a lot :confused:

There were some deliveries happing the month of March, but it's very obvious, and backed up by what Tesla said themselves on the Q1 earnings call, that they were unable to do the usual mad dash of deliveries in the final 2-3 weeks of the quarter....which impact Q1 deliveries quite a bit.

But past all the technicalities, the point is when you combine that they couldn't deliver nearly as much volume in the most important weeks of the quarter combined with they weren't able to produce more cars in the final 3 weeks to deliver on the west coast, I very much believe that could have beaten Q4 2019 delivery numbers if Covid hadn't happened. I honestly think they have a fair chance of Q1 2021 being higher than Q4 2020 this time around. I just don't think seasonality will really exists for Tesla until they get to much higher production rates....and even then, considering their willingness to pass on cost savings, they may just lower the prices again and seasonality would continue to be a non-issue.

Yes, you know you want it.
But, it’s a lot of money.
0-60 in under 2 seconds and 520+ of range - oh yeah
But, if you invest the price of the car in TSLA you will be rich.
I already am rich.
But, you already have a Tesla.
So what? It’s freakin Plaid and I’m doing it! - NEED MORE TESLA!
It's no sweat if you just finance as much as possible to preserve your TSLA shares.

Was doing a thought experiment today and I think Tesla Energy will follow the disruption of Tesla Auto sooner than anyone expects.

1. I might be dumb but I think the can be regional power shortages in the near future. Will utilities be successful to deploy/acquire energy sources quick enough when the significant increase of Tesla Autos entering the market requiring energy will exceed their power grid's capacities? We are already starting to see Tesla Solar/Solar Roof/Powerwall demand skyrocket in areas with high energy costs and intermittent outages.

I did a rough calculation one time and came up with 14% increase in electricity usage for all US vehicle transportation. The numbers are out there on total miles for each vehicle type and total electricity produced. It s pretty simple calculation. Considering most is at night I don't think this will be an issue.

Bloomberg numbers are less but this is probably at some % of electric vehicles.

BNEF EVO Report 2020 | BloombergNEF | Bloomberg Finance LP

From the article:

Electricity demand
All those EVs add electricity demand, but not as much as you might think. By 2040 passenger EVs consume 1,290TWh, commercial EVs consume 389TWh, e-buses consume 216TWh and electric two-wheelers consume 69TWh. Combined, these add just 5.2% to global electricity demand. In many advanced economies, EVs prevent overall electricity demand from falling.

It's a small margin but interestingly this thread had more posts in 2019 than in 2020. Proof that rich people are lazier.

There is some truth to that, I think (people becoming lazier as their net worth increases) but I think a bigger contributor is probably the many people who have sold off some or all of their TSLA at prices much below $3500 (split adjusted). As I recall, in December 2019 some people thought $400+ was an incredible price and that it would not be maintained. That's when I posted this during a small price correction:

Any weakness like this will be short-lived with the amount of pent-up demand (new shareholders, added positions and short covering). This is a healthy reversal that will signal the uptrend is intact as the share price climbs to new highs shortly. It will set off a whole new bull leg to this run that will astound and impress.

But some people didn't think Tesla was that special and they sold out right around New Years 2020 before it zoomed up to breath-taking new highs.

Then COVID happened. I had numerous posts imploring people to use their heads, that pandemic or not, people would still work, play, eat and have babies. A pandemic was not a reason to sell because the effect would be very temporary. But plenty did sell before it zoomed back, eventually reaching over $2000 before it split. And then more people sold.

Then S&P 500 inclusion happened taking it over $3000 (and eventually to it's current $3500+ split adjusted price). More people sold. I imagine even those who might have sold a large chunk, but not all of their position, at much lower prices might have a sickening feeling every time they think of TSLA and how much money they left on the table. And that's probably not conducive in terms of wanting to discuss TSLA day and night as the did previously when they still had their full TSLA position.

I think we have lost more participants due to early selling of positions (with the plan to buy in at lower prices) than we have gained with new members wanting to discuss the company. Many of the new TSLA shareholders are large funds who generally don't participate in forums such as this.

Last edited:
I don't reveal what goes on behind NDAs; this is not one of them.

I have been frustratingly working with (sometimes, it seems, against) Tesla on-again-off-again for years on just such a project. Our grid is, however, so utterly minuscule - about ten customers - that I think we stand behind a few zillion Pacific and Caribbean islands in their priority ranking. It's not so gelid in any of those sites, as well.
I hope you can figured out something that works for you guys, and for Tesla.

But I was thinking more like them buying a grid that serves a few million people or something. Fix it at every level so to speak. From producing the energy, to distributing it, to using it.

So self drivingcar reddit is a little speechless with the SF to La fsd drive. They are the biggest Tesla FSD skeptic but is right now coming around to the fact that not only Tesla's FSD is the cheapest that can do this, but it's the ONLY system that can do this as no other company have HD mapped city to city yet. This is it guys, the moment Tesla's FSD went from "last place" to first.

The reality though is that Tesla still has a ways to go. If you watch the beta tester Youtube videos you’ll see lots of simple scenarios that aren’t handled yet. Turns—left ones in particular—are still problematic.

So while I share the excitement, we need some humility for a bit. Most testers can’t drive from one side of their town to the other without intervening.

I suspect Mars either got lucky, or the fast playback masked some of the less-than-pleasant moments.

I think we have lost more participants due to early selling of positions (with the plan to buy in at lower prices) than we have gained with new members wanting to discuss the company. Many of the new TSLA shareholders are large funds who generally don't participate in forums such as this.

Here’s a really good TSLA chart I found on Twitter with notes highlighting the accumulation by large funds.
TSLA-2020.png

The reality though is that Tesla still has a ways to go. If you watch the beta tester Youtube videos you’ll see lots of simple scenarios that aren’t handled yet. Turns—left ones in particular—are still problematic.

So while I share the excitement, we need some humility for a bit. Most testers can’t drive from one side of their town to the other without intervening.

I suspect Mars either got lucky, or the fast playback masked some of the less-than-pleasant moments.
The real achievement here is that they could make this run when it was definitely not possible 2 months ago. Brandon notice a huge amount of improvements but I believe he is dealing with mismatch gps data. I would say over 50% of his intervention were due to gps errors.