Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i want to buy Tesla but hoping for a dip or market correction. That never happen....should I wait or should I go in now? what is everyone thought?

Most of us aint selling. ;-) However, I do reduce my margin exposure.

I bought in with the rest of my spare change yesterday (after waiting a day for a larger dip that never came), and would still have bought today if I wasnt completely out..

*Not investment advice, just what I did*

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
i want to buy Tesla but hoping for a dip or market correction. That never happen....should I wait or should I go in now? what is everyone thought?

No one knows...... age old saying though:
Time in the market beats timing the market.”

If you plan to HODL for a few years I don't think a few $/share is really going to matter.

IBKR flashed this at me just now:

View attachment 624905

Which analyst went from Hold to Underperform?

And should we care?
It was BNP Paripas (largest French bank). I don't have access to their research but here's an article: Tesla Stock Is a ‘Sell’ Because Investors Are Too Optimistic About the Future

Joseph Spak of RBC Capital Markets (his Note to Clients caused the short-lived dip on Tue morning).

Note that RBC is a Canadian Bank which is heavily invested in tarsands and other fossil fools.

RBC is also one of the brokerages that was "days late" delivering the TSLA dividend shares to its clients when they were due back on August 31st. Were they naked short TSLA? We'll never know, because the SEC disclosure rules prevent us from seeing the truth directly.

IMO, Spak's / RBC's behavior is nearly as reprehensible as it is transparent.

Recommend avoiding RBC.

RBC was already underweight, they couldn't have downgraded. I only see their report on Q4 deliveries, which was actually pretty positive for them. Don't disagree with everything else said though.

No one knows...... age old saying though:
Time in the market beats timing the market.”

If you plan to HODL for a few years I don't think a few $/share is really going to matter.

If you're a long term buy and hold investor, then the $770 share price today is as meaningful as $360 or $1200 (no meaning). Of course, $770 is a lot more fun than $360, but if you are holding for the long term and think we're 10x'ing from here, then today's share price just doesn't matter.

FB.JPG
While you people are slacking off, TSLA is a mere $33B away from overtaking FB as the 5th most valuable US company.

both of them are gonna buy a model Y for their next vehicle and I'll pay whatever percent they think will make it worthwhile.

I am guessing maybe 30 shares of Tesla will do it.

It makes more sense than giving them the money when I die.

Nice! It might not even take 30 shares if you have a way to convey less might be more (in the future). This makes particularly good sense for those who drive over 15K/year.

Will either of them be getting FSD? :D

So when is that post-inclusion drop going to happen
My assumption prior to inclusion was a peak at $850 for a few days with maybe a momentary spike higher, then a modest selloff back toward $600-700. So......perhaps $80 from now? Wouldn't surprise me once this most recent round of shorts are "processed".

• Funny
Reactions: Richard007 and kyne
Amazing, after 9 years we finally have something like the Bill Gates Internet Tidal Wave memo of 1995. It was 20 years before Microsoft repositioned itself as a cloud service provider. Cars have a long life, but how many legacy car makers can survive 20 years to revamp their product line, when there is already one mature company adapting, adjusting and profiting more than them?

View attachment 624918

Side note:

I miss the real Bill Gates before he got pulled by others into these areas he knows nothing about.
It's obvious he has no real passion for what he is doing now.

Should have stayed in tech, the legend that he is, and kept going.

Meh. That kind of thinking is what keeps the 50k/yr person stuck in life. It’s a cloud of resentment and negativity they can’t unload because gosh, darn life isn’t fair.

Taxes are ALWAYS going to things that individuals don’t support. I’m pretty sure I’ve paid for a few 20k toilet seats, a Mediterranean vacation for some nephew of a Government employee etc...

Pay your taxes, lobby for those taxes to be used for the good of ALL, and government transparency and accountability.

I'm sorry, @Krugerrand and @Fobble , with all due respect I think your replies smack of rich Teslanaire self-interest (as are most of us on this forum), and speaking from an ivory tower of what poor people deserve, or should want. I think if there was a vote, most citizens would be against incentives to rich people (don't give me this trickle-down BS). Democracy counts, no? I'm all for fair tax codes as @dl003 said, and a fair EV tax credit - or clawback - is part of that.

You're now getting $21k to sell Jan2023 calls at $1200 strike. Quite risky if you purely wanna hold, but that's a lotta moola!

If I did anything like that it would get early exercised 6 months from now.

If someone is in the mood to risk their shares, I think Jan 2022 make more sense. About half the moola, but there's at least a decent chance the SP could actually be under or around that kind of strike. $1200 by 2023 just seems like it will get obliterated.

If I did anything like that it would get early exercised 6 months from now.

If someone is in the mood to risk their shares, I think Jan 2022 make more sense. About half the moola, but there's at least a decent chance the SP could actually be under or around that kind of strike. $1200 by 2023 just seems like it will get obliterated.
Or sell covered calls 30 days out at half the delta, 24 times over the course of those 2 years and make almost 3 times as much moolah for half the risk

Or sell covered calls 30 days out at half the delta, 24 times over the course of those 2 years and make almost 3 times as much moolah for half the risk

Sure, that might be a better strategy. But that's a lot more work over more time. I was just addressing OP's point about a lot of cash upfront in one trade, which might make sense for someone looking for that.

A typical gasoline car, with a typical 200000 mile lifespan and 25mpg fuel economy, is going to burn 8000 gallons of fuel in its lifetime, putting about 160000lbs, or more than 70 metric tons, of CO2 into the air.

Every new gasoline car sold is a guaranteed 70 metric tons of CO2 in the air. And right now we are putting 80 million of them a year onto the world's roads. Every year that ICE continues to dominate the new car market is another 5.6 metric gigatons of guaranteed future CO2 emissions.

It's the poor that are gonna pay the price for all these CO2 emissions. Please spare us the lectures about how EV subsidies "benefit the rich" or whatever.

via Google search (2 days ago)
RBC Capital Explains How Tesla (TSLA) Can Delivery 800k ...
www.streetinsider.com › Analyst+Comments › RBC+Ca...

2 days ago — RBC Capital analyst Joseph Spak reiterated an Underperform rating and $339.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) after the company ... (Premium-only ...
Yes, here is the note in it's entirety. The note was positive by their standards (as a bear). But as I was trying to point out, they were not the firm that downgraded and reduced their price target. They reiterated both the rating and target.

upload_2021-1-6_10-15-3.png