Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This raises several questions:
  1. Will there be 18650 / 2170 versions of these structural packs?
  2. Will tabless cells be manufactured in 18650/2170 form factors?
  3. Who will be manufacturing these packs?
  4. How close to mass production is the dry electrode coating process?
  5. Does Tesla expect to use 4680 form factor for its entire fleet eventually? If so, what is the timeline?
It's my understanding that tabless was needed for the larger form factor therefore not required for the smaller cells. It was a way to do large cylindrical cells while the other way is in the form of pouch cells which is much harder to manufacture. Tabless solves the charging problem involved with large cell form factor.

• Informative
Reactions: cjkosh and Pezpunk
Confusing for the FSD system in a real world moose-test. Decisions, decisions.

Drive through the moose?: no problem.
Swerve around it? - ditto.
Dive off the road to avoid it? - Easy.
Slide sideways into loose sand, try to get on 2 wheels to go round it? - Why not?

Just need SpaceX thrusters to make it properly interesting.

Yeah, the Roadster SpaceX package FSD build will also need to decide if the car should fly OVER the moose.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
  5. Does Tesla expect to use 4680 form factor for its entire fleet eventually? If so, what is the timeline?

tesla has been churning out 4680 batteries for some time now. Which means they have been stockpiling. These batteries have to go somewhere. Best to start with a relatively small volume product. That avoids to have a single GF from producing two structural variants of a high volume product. So, my bet would be that the S and X will have structural 4680 packs. Other options for the batteries would be the roadster and the semi, but I don’t think we are close to those.

Last edited:

We are all hoping for these sorts of questions to be answered at the ER if there is a refresh. However your first two points are connected. Structural pack as discussed at battery day only works with tabless cells (otherwise there would not be sufficient cooling). If point 3 relates to an S/X refresh then it would be very surprising if the packs were not made by Tesla, as is the case for the current S/X.

Edit: Tabless 18650/2170 would be possible BUT we are not aware of any plan to manufacture them and you would have to ask why (given the advantages of the 4680 and the benefits of commonality).

7 Seater Pics and Details
Good photos of Model Y 3rd row here, along with discussion. Better than I expected, although not full time adult size. The option for adding 3rd row seating should dramatically increase Model Y demand.
Unless you're a mormon when would you ever be trying to get seven adults into a car?

Forward Observer

Rather wet here lately ~ Western side of Washington.

Drove through 8”+ of running water with our X. Did not catch a salmon, but the college kids waved and grinned from their paddle boards in the median.:D The car did not short out and the kids did not get shocked, other than to see a Tesla drive by ~ not under water.

Also, other side of our lake was out of power that same day. In the silence of the night while allowing Sadie, our rescued dog, out to maker her evening relief effort, the sound that ruined the night silence was a generator. Earlier in the day our grid power was lost too, but Tesla Powerwalls came through. Just the cable internet source failed. Maybe had we been linked to Starlink, life might have been perfect.:cool:

Back in the day, I used generators at night to locate positions that had been given to me by being incorrectly plotted by map readers. Even though I had the first GPS in Europe, it was in the back of my survey team’s Jeep.

As soon as Tesla can drive on top of the water, I will have made it.:rolleyes:

My understanding. But that beckons the question that after building cars in Fremont for 8+ years, WTF is going on there that they cannot fix properly in terms of fit an finish?

Clearly it’s a people problem on the line. Somebodies don’t care to do their job properly. That happens everywhere and it’s not like California is a hotbed of traditional/classic values such as an upbringing of hard manual labor, if you’re going to do something do it right the first time and other such olden days belt whoopings.

Sandy might just as easily gotten another car that was assembled by people who really care. There are plenty of customers getting cars without these issues.

Assuming the 4680-cell structural pack architecture is confirmed for the Model S (and X), it just occurred to me that these product lines will have completely skipped the 2170 cells, and will not have benefitted from all the advantages that accompanied the 18650 -> 2170 transition.

And so, while still on the 18650s, the Model S continued to be at the top in terms of EV performance; that is very telling for the amount of energy efficiency and power output Tesla's engineers were able to squeeze out of that drivetrain.

But it also means that transitioning to the 4680s will bring HUGE benefits in terms of range and power performance for an equivalent battery pack (100 kWh).

We're in for some very nice surprises if the 4680-cell pack is confirmed, I think!