Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa! You skipped a step. The workers in their RWD one and half ton pickup trucks have to arrive at the site on a nearly impassable frozen concrete tollway 130, oh tonight we are getting snow than sleet on top of said frozen tollway 130. But don't worry, its expected to be above freezing this Friday and 60s this weekend.

Workers are people too, and they need rest. This 3 day break could prove to be a much needed rest that will easily improve productivity and potentially strengthen the supply chain of critical components beyond time lost.
Or not. We sadly haven't any inside information as to just how much/who is working overtime on this accelerated buildout, and no information on the critical component supply issues. The drone flights are great, but are pretty much limited to guesses concerning which building sections are for what manufacturing purpose - we really know very little.
Gee, maybe journalism still has it's uses...

Massive Texas gas failure during climate extremes gets blamed on wind power

This article notes around 4MW of wind affected by icing but around 27GW of thermal infrastructure offline mainly due to gas supply issues. So thats about half of the ERCOT gas fleet and 30% of total capacity offline. Unfortunately as the article points out, much of the initial and loudest blame for outages gets put onto renewables.

Per my electric plan, I get 100 percent of my power from wind. I could care less about the gas, I am concerned about wind energy being 50 percent taken off line due to weather. Does this happen elsewhere?

To bring it back to Tesla, I don't know how they sell their panels, but my phone has been blowing up by the solar panel installation companies, they use LG panels (let no crisis go to waste I guess).

The were actually just talking about the Berkshire position on CNBC just now.

And they again mentioned that Buffett claimed confidentiality about what it could do to the stock price. Not saying it's Tesla but in order for that to be a legit claim, it would have to be a stock that had a small float or events going on in the stock that would cause the stock float to be limited for that quarter(ahem S&P inclusion) and pretty much all of the other stocks I've seen mentioned on the internet do not fit that bill.

That or Buffett is just blowing smoke up everyone's *ss

I don't know why folks are so concerned about a couple of days of delay at GF Austin. Tesla just secured a gazillion new customers across a huge swath of the south for distributed energy products and a future Tesla HVAC system.

As a native Minnesotan I usually wouldn't be able to resist the urge to ridicule Texans at a time like this, but whenever I think about it I can't help get distracted by all the $$$$$ signs that pop into my eyes.

Yes, Texas may look foolish now but hey, but next week will be in the 70s. :D:D:D

To bring it back to Tesla, I bet next week Tesla deliver more cars in Texas than Minnesota.:D:D:D

Listening to talk radio now and many callers are mentioning solar (just heard Tesla and Cybertruck mentioned) being a solution to this problem. Tesla, are you listening? Solar industry will get a boost from this sad crisis.

The were actually just talking about the Berkshire position on CNBC just now.

And they again mentioned that Buffett claimed confidentiality about what it could do to the stock price. Not saying it's Tesla but in order for that to be a legit claim, it would have to be a stock that had a small float or events going on in the stock that would cause the stock float to be limited for that quarter(ahem S&P inclusion) and pretty much all of the other stocks I've seen mentioned on the internet do not fit that bill.

That or Buffett is just blowing smoke up everyone's *ss

I sincerely doubt Buffett has secretly bought into TSLA. We can't be that lucky! :cool:

I wish the exterior of the Tesla Model S looked more like the Ferrari Roma!

I love the new S interior, but the exterior is so boring. So I am waiting for the Roadster, now THAT is a beautiful car. By the time it arrives, I hope my kids will still be small enough to fit in the back!
The Model S exterior is not boring - it never was boring. :eek::rolleyes: Why are you suggesting that the Model S, a 4-door sedan, should look like 2-door sports car? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I sincerely doubt Buffett has secretly bought into TSLA. We can't be that lucky! :cool:
Ok, I'll be the one to ask the stupid question because I've seen about 50 posts on this topic and I'm still missing something.

What's the deal with whether Buffett bought Tesla at sometime in the past. Was he gloomy on TSLA and having bought the shares while knocking the company puts egg on his face? Just a simple answer or link would be fine. I'm sure this has been rehashed, but I keep reading it here like it's a huge deal if he did purchase TSLA. All I know is the report comes out today and I just want to understand all the Buffet jokes that will surely follow. It's he the HODL king? If we're in, he'll keep buying then? I'm just guessing here...

Ok, I'll be the one to ask the stupid question because I've seen about 50 posts on this topic and I'm still missing something.

What's the deal with whether Buffett bought Tesla at sometime in the past. Was he gloomy on TSLA and having bought the shares while knocking the company puts egg on his face? Just a simple answer or link would be fine. I'm sure this has been rehashed, but I keep reading it here like it's a huge deal if he did purchase TSLA. All I know is the report comes out today and I just want to understand all the Buffet jokes that will surely follow. It's he the HODL king? If we're in, he'll keep buying then? I'm just guessing here...

Buffet is famous for buying low-tech companies with a p/e in the single digits. TSLA doesn't fit his investment history. For that reason, I give it less than 50/50 chance but never say never!

Benzinga - this morning: Tesla Could Use Its Indian Factory As An Export Base, Analyst Says

Excerpt:

Gartner Senior Research Director Pedro Pacheco said that the Elon Musk-led automaker could utilize the Indian manufacturing unit as an export base and leverage several markets at the same time.

Barron's - this morning: Tesla May Be Going to India. It's a Step Toward Lower-Cost EVs.

Excerpt:

The electric-vehicle pioneer Tesla may have chosen an unexpected location for its next factory: India. A plant there could represent a big step for the company toward its goal of producing lower-priced EVs.

On Saturday, Shri B.S. Yediyurappa, chief minister in Karnataka province, whose capital is Bangalore, said Tesla (ticker: TSLA) was coming, according to the Times of India. Tesla wasn't immediately available to comment on its plans.

Most cars are sold where they are made. "India represents another key strategic market for Tesla and could represent 5% [plus] of global sales by 2026 for Tesla," wrote Wedbush analyst Dan Ives in a recent research report. Ives rates Tesla stock at Hold and has a target of $950 for the stock price.

The full implications of an Indian facility for Tesla go far beyond potential sales in that one country.

Yeah, and futher, a 'snow-day' loss-of-time presumes that assembly of the building shell is the time-critical item on the Gantt chart.

It's much more likely that tooling for long-lead items like an 80-ton stamping press w. associated dies (which have to be ordered months or years in advance) will determine when we see the start of production. There are no welding robots sitting on a side road waiting to be installed. That's not how engineers plan their work.

Snow day's aren't the limiting factor. As long as the building shell is up when installation day arrives for big items, the schedule won't slip.

Cheers!

Exactly, they are sitting in the staging area in temporary shipping container storage, not on a side road. This shows well planned arrival of assets to ensure timing is met, not haphazard or last second reactional behavior. (From a fiscal pov, bonus points if they are still counted as not delivered and the supplier is covering the temporary storage.)
Tesla Gigafactory Texas gets first robot shipment as Giga Press setup continues

As to the day delay impact, it's the cumulative area between the curves, and those curves do not shift purely in time.