Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
City of Champions, USA
How was spring 21 an ‘artificial’ deadline?

It is artificial because it was pulled out of thin air. There is no government mandate or industry standard for that deadline.

Almost a nothing burger? Is that like being almost pregnant? :confused:

No, it is like a milligram burger. That is almost a nothing burger.

Here’s my almost artificial prediction; they’re not making 6,000 vehicles before year end if the release date is 2nd half of this year. I base that on some almost artificial historic data from Tesla’s 2012 almost nothing burger of handing out the first Model S’s in June 2012 (or was it July?) and delivering 2,500ish? by year end only by very real herculean efforts. Rawlinson and company are made of softer stuffs than Elon and company.

Tesla began production in mid June 2012 and delivered ~2452

Tesla delivered ~22,300 Model S in 2013.

Here is my prediction: Lucid will beat both first year and second year Tesla deliveries.

Not because Lucid employees have bigger Johnsons but because Tesla had $400M for Model S program while Lucid will have ~$5B for Air program. And EV supply chains are deeper and wider today.

Unpilot

Sell order in at $5999.99
Dec 2, 2017
A Coast
Small request....please all stop posting for a while....I am WAY behind.

Went for a nice long camping trip and only now can resume my staring at this forum.

B8AA288D-A4F0-4868-A21D-185E30E07BF1.gif

elasalle

driVIN(188xx) it !!
Jan 26, 2016
VA
It is artificial because it was pulled out of thin air. There is no government mandate or industry standard for that deadline.

Here is my prediction: Lucid will beat both first year and second year Tesla deliveries.

Not because Lucid employees have bigger Johnsons but because Tesla had $400M for Model S program while Lucid will have ~$5B for Air program. And EV supply chains are deeper and wider today.

looks like deadlines were for the SPAC/IPO ... money grab

Krugerrand

Was cat, now temporarily dog. 🤷‍♂️
Jul 13, 2012
Tesla friendly place

Not because Tesla employees have bigger Johnsons but because Tesla had $400M for Model S program while Lucid will have ~$5B for Air program. And EV supply chains are deeper and wider today.

You’ve been very positive on this company despite the fact they’ve literally done almost nothing more than Faraday to this point even with all the advantages.

Full disclosure (if I haven’t been clear in the past): I believe Lucid is going to amount to a real nothing burger when the history books are updated.

Krugerrand

Was cat, now temporarily dog. 🤷‍♂️
Jul 13, 2012
Tesla friendly place
Does Spring last one day?

What does Elon mean when he says X will be delivered by end of year?

No you don’t. You don’t get to make a new set of rules or hand wave things away when Lucid misses deadlines AFTER listing all the advantages to which they have because Tesla came before.

Lucid has ZERO excuses for missing deadlines, for being over budget, for getting anything wrong. They’ve consciously presented themselves as better than including that lovely little luxury chart you posted for us, have all sorts of Tesla employees who’ve done this before, bags full of money, EV supply chains, PR, etc...

No sir, they don’t get an almost nothing burger pass.

Dreadnought

Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2018
Germany
I am not sure how dynamic based on perceived threat would work with neural networks. The weights are the same, ie static and the architecture is also static. How would you do this dynamically?

Zooming in is an interesting idea. They could have one first low cost neural network that decides which regions that need zoom. Then run different neural networks with different resolutation on the images with the same output format. Then stitch these together. But imo this seems like really bad feature engineering which we have been moving away from and to run this on a fixed runtime in an embedded control system seems like a terrible idea. And the number of neural networks that would be needed to train, store and load would be huge...

If you have any idea how this would work, explain it!

I think they will crop out the ego vehicle before they are input to the neural network, not any cropping while running the neural network.

Don't take the "zoom" part too literally. The main advancement (at least I wasn't aware of it before) is the concept of a focal area. "Perceived threat" means, for instance, the car is about to perform a left turn with oncoming traffic, so left of center forward is an area to prioritise; the rearward facing part of the surround view is less relevant. Focal areas might get higher resolution input and/or more / different (neural) network resources. As you already stated, the important aspect is the optimised usage of available resources through prioritizing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andy O

Unpilot

Sell order in at $5999.99
Dec 2, 2017
A Coast
So, were you able to locate any TMC user's mountain retreat while on this (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) "camping" trip? :)
Quickly before Market opens....it was more about testing Mountain ...err...equipment.
Boring stuff like high flying completely silent stealthy helicopters.
Deep ground penetrating radar...silly stuff like that.

Mengy

Feb 18, 2020
PA
Full disclosure (if I haven’t been clear in the past): I believe Lucid is going to amount to a real nothing burger when the history books are updated.

My gut feeling is Lucid will be moderately successful in the long term, but a rather small player in the EV space (with regards to marketshare) this decade. There's enough room in the EV market for even the small fish to swim.

I'm not buying their stock though, I'd rather keep buying TSLA instead. Tesla is a much better company with a better plan and a much brighter future IMHO.

Sancho

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2016
Illinois
$500 in old money and almost 3x the SP as of June 3rd 2019, no sweat...
Before we just move on to a new trading day, we should note that TSLA certainly made history yesterday in terms of a single day market cap swing. There may be a few bigger one-time market cap drops in the history of capitalism, but there’s never been a one day drop and reversal anywhere close to that magnitude.

And, all on no news.

When you measure the impact in terms of total dollars, the impact on the little guy investors is seismic. Maybe manipulation had no role in it, but if I ran the SEC or a Congressional committee, I’d want to investigate such a glaring anomaly that caused such a wide and deep hurt.

Hock1

Jan 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Yeah, Bill has made me a ton of money over the years, starting with very little. That said, he's not very likeable and certainly not cool or hip. But compared to someone like Ted Cruz he's Jesus Christ Superstar on hipster steroids!:eek:

Everything is relative.:cool:
You learn something everyday. I never would have expected you to launch such a hateful, gratuitous political barb on this forum (or anywhere for that matter).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC