Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a full size pickup for 10 years. I have hauled literally tons of lead acid batteries in mine, tens of thousands of pounds of wood fuel (multiple types), hundreds of bags of soil and mulch, trash, furniture etc. Of all of my uses, there is a single use that would be complicated on the cybertruck. I had three loads of wood side loaded in my pickup in 10 years by a bobcat type thing. The rest were hand loaded or loaded by a backhoe that could have done the cybertruck. So in 10 years, I would have had 1.5 hours lost to manually loading wood in the Cybertruck. Also same bed length as my current truck.

Now after all of that time, there have been loads that I have had to remove from my truck bed prematurely for weather reasons, such as just recently moving a pair of LaScala speakers. With a cybertruck I would have saved a half hour by just closing the top.

It is a f*cking truck.
I grew up on a farm driving trucks daily and agree there would be a few items where the CT might have a disadvantage, but overall I can see it being a much more practical vehicle for that sort of work. That said, farming is a pretty small subset of the truck buying population.

Aside from the lack of side loading, the main disadvantage I can see is when using working dogs as they won't be able to see what is going on as well with the sides obscured - they can probably adapt by standing at the back of the tray rather than the front as the side height probably won't be too different from a standard truck - anyway, something that needs to be tested in real life usage to figure out if it's an issue or poses any danger to the dogs. I also assume toolboxes and the like would need to be redesigned to be within easy reach from the ground without climbing into the tray for access.

The gains are fantastic though - great low range torque for towing, quiet operations to hear livestock, tons of electricity to run equipment without a generator (life would be much more pleasant running an electric chainsaw and other power tools without a two stroke engine whining in your ear), the ramp at the back for loading the ATV will also be helpful for loading heavy equipment, no radiator getting clogged with grass seed every 5 minutes and overheating the vehicle, auto closing top to stop dogs/livestock jumping out when on the road, can charge via electricity rather than trucking in fuel, etc, etc.

View attachment 641018
If there was a law that he had to disclose what his tips rank # is prior to talking I think they wouldn't have him on.

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/gordon-johnson

or maybe the better question to CNBC is "Why do you have someone on your show consistently that is ranked at the very bottom of analysts? Ranked #7,118 out of 7,333 Analysts on TipRanks (#14,885 out of 15,279 overall experts)

And yes, I think I already know the answer, but I doubt 99% of the CNBC viewers know this.

edit: added chart
To put this in perspective, his ranking puts him in the bottom 3% of analysts. About the same percentage of the public that believes the earth is flat. Would these "news" programs ever consider having a flat earther on discussing scientific opinions regarding geology or anything based on evidence? They truly do a disservice to their audience bringing on someone who's opinion is so grossly and repeatedly shown as wrong. There's got to be something going on here that we don't know. It's just so blatantly out of touch with reality to be just ignorance on CNBC's part. It's almost as ridiculous as someone claiming 3 months later that the election was stolen without a shred of evidence.

To put this in perspective, his ranking puts him in the bottom 3% of analysts. About the same percentage of the public that believes the earth is flat. Would these "news" programs ever consider having a flat earther on discussing scientific opinions regarding geology or anything based on evidence?
Yes. That way they can say they have covered both views. One of the really big problems with news is that they give the same weight to the 3% side as they do to the 97% side.

To put this in perspective, his ranking puts him in the bottom 3% of analysts. About the same percentage of the public that believes the earth is flat. Would these "news" programs ever consider having a flat earther on discussing scientific opinions regarding geology or anything based on evidence? They truly do a disservice to their audience bringing on someone who's opinion is so grossly and repeatedly shown as wrong. There's got to be something going on here that we don't know. It's just so blatantly out of touch with reality to be just ignorance on CNBC's part. It's almost as ridiculous as someone claiming 3 months later that the election was stolen without a shred of evidence.
There may be some confusion about what is going on. The audience is the product that is being sold.

The advertisers are the market they are trying to influence toward buying exposure to the product being offered (see above).

Once that perspective is grasped, the continued appearance of GJ becomes easier to understand.

Last edited:
I grew up on a farm driving trucks daily and agree there would be a few items where the CT might have a disadvantage, but overall I can see it being a much more practical vehicle for that sort of work. That said, farming is a pretty small subset of the truck buying population.

Aside from the lack of side loading, the main disadvantage I can see is when using working dogs as they won't be able to see what is going on as well with the sides obscured - they can probably adapt by standing at the back of the tray rather than the front as the side height probably won't be too different from a standard truck - anyway, something that needs to be tested in real life usage to figure out if it's an issue or poses any danger to the dogs. I also assume toolboxes and the like would need to be redesigned to be within easy reach from the ground without climbing into the tray for access.

The gains are fantastic though - great low range torque for towing, quiet operations to hear livestock, tons of electricity to run equipment without a generator (life would be much more pleasant running an electric chainsaw and other power tools without a two stroke engine whining in your ear), the ramp at the back for loading the ATV will also be helpful for loading heavy equipment, no radiator getting clogged with grass seed every 5 minutes and overheating the vehicle, auto closing top to stop dogs/livestock jumping out when on the road, can charge via electricity rather than trucking in fuel, etc, etc.
Yup. I could gather wood and cut without a gas chainsaw. A mini workspace for cutting wood on a table saw too. Powerful electric outlets will be a game changer.

Franz is the weakest element of Tesla, and I like it that way. But don't praise the cat just because he's fortunate enough to design tesla.

in general Tesla’s design feels super „soft“ to me. Looking at the Audi etron gt, the Model s ist just „soft“, not the aggressive look I’d prefer a lot. Even the roadster, as beautiful as it is, is not really aggressive enough in my eyes.

I hope the local designs from Germany and/or China will change this a bit

I need my Cybertruck to be able to take up 23 parking spots at once, easily navigate over curbs and road debris like ladders, mattresses, bumpers, whathaveyou, bust thru all fencing types at high speed, be dent and scratch resistant, not require touchup paint or Xpel or ceramic coating for when a bird craps on it, and look like it belongs in the Zombie Apocalypse. Anything else it can do is a bonus.

Don’t forget to keep a tow strap onboard in the Cybertruck so it will also tug those ICEholes out of Supercharging spots :cool::D

Nice to see a little green to start the week but it doesn’t matter too much as my shares aren’t going anywhere but up in count..

When cybertruck update comes out, it’s going to make the stock pop. Hopefully the amount of Easter eggs on the work-truck aspect of the thing are numerous. Power, tool storage, air compressor?, wood transport, measuring, what if it had a digital transit, where’s my Tesla Plumbob?, how about power on the front for attachments, plug in wood chipper, don’t forget a blender for Tesla-Rita’s, also, how about roof camping, trailers, plug in coolers., dashboard paper storage, laptop storage, under the truckbed storage.
If Tesla went balls to the wall with accessories I think they would sell very well.

I sold 30 covered calls for 3/19 with 850 strike. If my super powers are still intact, that should get the SP climbing. Kind of like waiving a red cape in front of the bull.... ;)

P.S. - ok, if I was really brave I would have done 750 or 800s. I'm more like the matador waving the cape from across town..., and behind some metal bars....

I am firmly on the Cybernotatruck bandwagon. But I am not on the "The Cybernotatruck is a truck" bandwagon.
Just like Homer, Elon engineered a "wish" vehicle for the masses...
it is has everything a truck needs to have to be a truck...and then it has everything a van has to be a van (or a station wagon). And it has some key parts to being a jeep, and some serious bits so it can be a race car. And if it don't allow you to provide energy to your home during grid failures then I ain't gonna send Elon a Christmas card EVER again.
But all I am saying is that to call it a "truck" is extremely disingenuous. They only did it so the truck people will not dismiss it as "Not a truck. I need a truck, This is not a truck."

Personally, I live in a society with excellent roads, no civilian need for (9mm) bullet proof vehicles and a growing resistance to SUVs on urban streets.

But I can still see how the Cybertruck can be a compelling car for a _lot_ of people in other parts of the world. For example I think every moderately wealthy Russian and Brazilian must have one on pre-order. Well, to be honest I do too, but the point still stands (I think).

Personally, I live in a society with excellent roads, no civilian need for (9mm) bullet proof vehicles and a growing resistance to SUVs on urban streets.

But I can still see how the Cybertruck can be a compelling car for a _lot_ of people in other parts of the world. For example I think every moderately wealthy Russian and Brazilian must have one on pre-order. Well, to be honest I do too, but the point still stands (I think).

Well, you don't need one until you need one. If you get my drift.

I don't need 9mm bullet proof car either, it is not my primary CT trait.