Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Officer .... It wasn't me driving it was Tesla autopilot ... talk to the car please ;)
I think this is one of the biggest risks to FSD ... American drivers ... as more get behind the wheel of Tesla's more of these accidents will occur .... does not matter if AP/FSD or not .. report will indicate AP/FSD and the FUD machine will crank up ... i hope Elon slow rolls FSD for this reason ...

as an aside i was using AP on the NYS thruway this past weekend and as i went under an overpass the car braked abruptly (nothing in front of me) .... this was very scary ...luckily the traffic was light ... otherwise i proably would have been rear ended ...
Sudden braking are very rare these days. They were almost absent for 2 years and now we are hearing one odd cases. Maybe with algo re-training and changes some of the old issues show up. That is why FSD is a slow and gradual training process and it will not be with a flip of a button.

Reactions: Nocturnal
as an aside i was using AP on the NYS thruway this past weekend and as i went under an overpass the car braked abruptly (nothing in front of me) .... this was very scary ...luckily the traffic was light ... otherwise i proably would have been rear ended ...
This is my biggest concern with AP. It doesn't happen often, but scares the bejeezus out of me and my passengers whenever it does. It's enough to keep me from using AP more often than I do. I find AP works much better when following another car. I fully expect this will get fixed over time.

One of the problems of selecting the advanced updates is getting the regression updates that occur... personally this lated version is annoying... particularly with hard breaking approaching cars at lights.
Luckily I won't have to deal with this update as I just found out my 3 is probably battery-totalled due to running over a sharp rock...
I can't get that Plaid X fast enough now, this rental Nissan I'm composing this message from is a complete pos

Pics of the undercarriage. I really didn't think this was gonna be so bad. I saw the rock and chose to drive straight over it at about 45 rather than swerve or hit it with the tires. Shoulda swerved...

Screenshot_20210317-104814_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210317-104831_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210317-104850_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210317-104909_Drive.jpg

Yes I do have dashcam footage saved to my USB stick. I really liked this car. Truly a bummer

Two "news" articles on CNBS for you to not click on today, I won't link...

Tesla is in a bubble and it’s ‘going down,’ top fund manager says​

Well, reading a bit deeper, we see: "Lekander told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Europe” Tuesday that he thinks Tesla is in a bubble and that he’s short on Elon Musk’s firm, meaning he will profit if the value of Tesla’s stock falls", I would propose a more accurate headline would be:

Tesla is in a bubble and it’s ‘going down,’ short seller says​

Next-up is more of a smear article - it just oozes bitterness. Lora Kolodny is a piece of shlt:

Elon Musk turns down $1 million offer to buy his tweet as an NFT​

Some choice quotes...
  • "The experimental CEO"
  • "Musk’s romantic partner, a musician known as Grimes"
  • "His buzz-generating NFT offer on Monday helped Musk distract his tens of millions of followers on Twitter from news of personnel changes in the top ranks of Tesla and a federal probe into a Tesla crash that took place in Detroit late last week"
  • "In recent months, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has warned investors against buying or selling stocks and other assets based on info shared on social media."

My social media feed (Google, Twitter, Facebook) is getting bombarded with articles to convince me that Volkswagen is the new Tesla.
I thought AI was way more advanced to serve my bias 🤓
it getting pretty tiresome ... i was originally rooting for VW... you know sustainable energy and all ... someone needs to remind them they still have a legacy ICE boat anchor to deal with ... they still sit squarely on the horns of the "innovators dilemma" ...

Five years ago from today, my wife and I took possesion of our brand new P90D Model X.
We waited 2 1/2 years from when we put down a deposit.
We ordered a new Model X on March 2.
We wanted the longer range.
We hope to continue some road trips later this year.
We will sell our 2016 X to my brother in law; who is really excited.
We hope to take delivery by June.
I would feel better if there were some production/deliveries going on.
We could just pay cash for the new vehicle, but we will try to get a vehicle loan and use the cash to purchase shares with the expectation that the shares will be worth more in 6 years.
I am OK with TSLA being on sale for a couple more months.

Luckily I won't have to deal with this update as I just found out my 3 is probably battery-totalled due to running over a sharp rock...
I can't get that Plaid X fast enough now, this rental Nissan I'm composing this message from is a complete pos
You near the east coast? Let me know if they total your M3, I'm looking to salvage some battery modules for my 2001 Wrangler conversion.

Pics of the undercarriage. I really didn't think this was gonna be so bad. I saw the rock and chose to drive straight over it at about 45 rather than swerve or hit it with the tires. Shoulda swerved...

View attachment 645283View attachment 645284
View attachment 645285View attachment 645286

Yes I do have dashcam footage saved to my USB stick. I really liked this car. Truly a bummer
What kind of warning did you get after the incident?

The other day I drove my 3 right over the individual hump barrier at the parking lot. Thought I totaled the battery but it was fine.

Reactions: Skryll
You near the east coast? Let me know if they total your M3, I'm looking to salvage some battery modules for my 2001 Wrangler conversion.
Montana. I actually beat Krugerrand to the punch in securing a mountain stronghold. I'll let you know when I know, in the next day or two

What kind of warning did you get after the incident?

The other day I drove my 3 right over the individual hump barrier at the parking lot. Thought I totaled the battery but it was fine.
I was leaking coolant and got the turtle emoji and "reduced power" warnings. Nothing crazy and it was drivable. I thought it was just the super bottle

What is stopping Tesla from enabling and enforcing cabin cameras for eye movement?

A few things (some technical limits on the interior camera hardware that wasn't intended for such use- and some legal ones though those might be avoidable if the entire system remains on-car and sends nothing to Tesla)

They were discussed at some length over the weekend and the discussion was not widely popular, but you can scroll back to see it if you wish. Pretty sure nobody wants it rehashed.

That said, it appears at least some behavioral feedback got some folks kicked out of BetaFSD, possibly including the camera (implied from an Elon tweet)

"The driver told police the vehicle was operating in Autopilot, according to Oleksyk."

Any bets that Tesla will check logs, go "no it wasn't" but then media will never report that part?

Certainly possible.... But this is exactly the type of accident we know for a fact AP is vulnerable to from past crashes into stationary objects partly in the lane.... so much so the owners manual explicitly lists that exact thing as something AP might not correctly respond to.... so it's a more plausible case at least.

That said- your second point is spot on- if it wasn't AP after all we'll never hear much again about it- if it was we'll hear plenty.

Very sorry to hear about your 3 and the rental.

A month ago, my parked Tesla was hit by a car sliding on ice. I had a rental while it was in the body shop, and (after three weeks of a Chevy Malibu) getting back behind the wheel of a Tesla felt like a religious experience. Hoping your X arrives soon!

Bummer man... it must have been some rock! Time to upgrade!

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash

Give that rocks GPS coordinates ....I will send my proxy army over to practice vaporizing that rock.
That will come in handy during future mountain ....err....activity's

Down in Mexico and wondering at what cheap solar power and storage could do for this country. The poorest nations on the planet are all in the sun belt. Sometimes as investors we think about the stock and our returns but imagine the human capital that could be unlocked with super cheap and clean solar power.
My social media feed (Google, Twitter, Facebook) is getting bombarded with articles to convince me that Volkswagen is the new Tesla.
I thought AI was way more advanced to serve my bias 🤓
The AI wants your clicks. Doesn’t matter if they are rage clicks or happy clicks. ;)