Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opening the SC network to others....
  • I don’t think this is beyond speculation yet, but I will play...after all it’s a healthy discussion
  • As a greedy shareholder, I don’t always agree to the mission with Elon’s conviction
  • I feel that the SC network is a substantial advantage to Tesla that is often under appreciated...I don’t want to lose this for Tesla and sales
  • SC buildout has cost Tesla and shareholders valuable capital over the years, it’s hard for me to even imagine adequate compensation to be justified IMO
  • I would LOVE for someone to share some basic math behind a typical SC and ROI. I think Tesla subsidizes SCs because the amount charged doesn’t even/barely covers the local electricity fees. What about initial capital and maintenance?
  • As a Tesla owner, if I roll up to a SC without an open stall and VW or ? are occupying stalls, charging at an inferior (slow) rate....👺
  • I *LOVE* SC network and don’t want to screw the experience up. Not sure how to open it up without compromising the experience I so enjoy. For some reason I am too emotional about this topic!
Think of eminent domain backed by the the federal government via a special bill for getting hold of land quickly - and doing zoning and permission at record speed. As others have noted Tesla executes very fast, but getting land, permitting and power are the things that slow Tesla down. Maybe 2 or all 3 of those will be solved by a massive new infrastructure bill.

Think of all the money that will be supplied if this really is a key goal. Not a huge concern for Tesla, but it will motivate other players (landlords, electrical companies, etc.) to move really fast - and not slow Tesla down.

So, given that the number of locations and stalls can quickly get larger, maybe double, there will be a lot of chargers left for you. You shouldn't have to queue a lot more than today. Though, ramping is notoriously bumpy...

I find it very likely that Tesla will increase V3 and V4 rollout to sort of compensate Tesla owners.
With V4 a new Tesla should be able to charge at around ½ the time of today, especially when doing top-of or boost charges (less than 50% full)

The latest rumor that Tesla is aiming for 1 million vehicles this year is not surprising. When Elon answered the question it really seemed like his "in that ballpark" comment suggested that 800k was too low. 1 million has been my assumption regarding their internal goal in 2021.

Most valuable company in the world this year? Hard to imagine but I think there is a chance. Elon is often very optimistic, but Tesla must believe that FSD is pretty darn advanced if they are even considering releasing it to a wide audience in the next month or so.

Ah, so LG’s fault. Okay, let’s pass the buck around a bit. Zero reason for Porsche to have obtained cells for testing trials, huh? Established OEMs just take their supplier’s word for it. Ok, then.
Between Tesla’s vertical integration with cells and their very close relationship and management with Panasonic, you can see yet another advantage to Tesla just on this alone

Agreed, but Tesla manage the thermal characteristics while charging and can taper-off if things get too hot. so my point was that Tesla have improved this (along with better chemistry, of course) to such an extent that it's not an issue any more. Porsche, on the other hand, don't have that experience, and neither make their own cells and packs.

Hence Tesla can keep the 250kWh peak and batteries no longer degrade appreciably.
Experience and expertise...FTW

TBH I cant see tesla opening up the network. There is little to gain and a lot to lose.

Gains:
Better awareness of how reliable and fast they are to other EV owners.
Some revenue.
Certainly, “accelerates the mission” belongs as a perceived gain?

Nice ending kick for a down day. I had my financial advisor sell ”something“ to fund furthering my Tesla position. While I knew it was coming (I think the term he used was “concentrated“), I picked up more at $604. I also converted some liquid savings earning 0.4% because the spring feels really tight ATM. I know we might possibly see more downward movement, but who can time that perfectly? At $618 close today, I will take it as a small victory, knowing I only buy TSLA and don’t sell... Enjoy your weekend!

I had another buy order in for $600 but it didn't execute.....the little guy loses again :)
that is why i set my limit order at $601 a couple days ago ....... my anecdotal analysis indicates that quite often the limit orders at round numbers are not hit .... such as $600
it did hit $599 according Yahoo Finance so my theory was disproved ... not sure why your order did not execute ;)
Day's Range599.90 - 643.82

Nice ending kick for a down day. I had my financial advisor sell ”something“ to fund furthering my Tesla position. While I knew it was coming (I think the term he used was “concentrated“), I picked up more at $604. I also converted some liquid savings earning 0.4% because the spring feels really tight ATM. I know we might possibly see more downward movement, but who can time that perfectly? At $618 close today, I will take it as a small victory, knowing I only buy TSLA and don’t sell... Enjoy your weekend!
i think this week was a good one for longs to accumulate ... not a lot of news and we are waiting on next week delivery numbers ... weak longs are getting nervous ... but those who have done their HW are more confident than ever ... even if Tesla has some glitches due to chip shortages in Q1 ... it will just present us with better entry points if you still have dry powder handy ... i have some at the ready just in case.... "luck favors the prepared mind"

Positive news on registrations this quarter

Given that bit of information combine with the data out of China/Asia markets for Jan/Feb......sure does seem like 180k+ for deliveries is still on the table

Troy's latest Q1 and 2021 is below consensus, as of today. If markets are reacting to a guy on Twitter, then god f****g help us!

A quarter's delivery numbers should matter very little in the share price of an innovative disrupter undergoing exponential growth. Nevertheless, nearsighted Wall Street analysts rely on them for feeding into the valuation algorithms learned in college. They need them to justify their price targets to their bosses. When the market proves them wrong, they are excused because they utilized traditional methods. :rolleyes:

that is why i set my limit order at $601 a couple days ago ....... my anecdotal analysis indicates that quite often the limit orders at round numbers are not hit .... such as $600
it did hit $599 according Yahoo Finance so my theory was disproved ... not sure why your order did not execute ;)
Day's Range599.90 - 643.82
I set mine for $550. Maybe I should change it to $551. If we're lucky it will hit soon before it heads back towards $1,200.

Reactions: Zero CO2

TLDR:

Mormon church's $100M investment fund quadrupled their TSLA position.

"The investing arm of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints also quadrupled the size of its Tesla bet to 467,000 shares. Coupled with a sharp increase in the automaker's stock price, the position surged in value by about 550% to $330 million as of December 31."
Ok, who's got a connection with the Amish? They gotta be good for a couple of Billions. Probably has lots of old couches so maybe even more.