Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're right the float is tighter post inclusion, but it is also much more expensive.
It's not expensive for MM's. They have tons and tons and tons of shares with which to work......they just can't truly sell them to actual outside buyers.

They can take actual shares they control and buy/sell them to themselves or other hedgies. They can create synthetic shares out of thin air and sell them to you at a bargain, hoping to buy them back at an even greater bargain.

Shares cost MM's nothing, that's the problem.

... people show a willingness to actively choose a path counter to their own self interest or even safety, if it supports their worldview.

I agree, if you add one word: some. Tragically, some people are morons. But not everyone.

Tesla will find areas where non-morons prevail, maybe the US States where Level 5 is already legal (according to @Knightshade), and create demonstration projects there. These projects will quickly get so impressive that morons will get outvoted. Thousands of deaths in human-driven cars versus a tiny fraction in self-driving Teslas will impress the majority with teenage kids or elderly parents who are dangerous behind the wheel.

I also think self-driving cars are fairly easy to understand, even for morons. It's got eight eyes, not just two. It reacts faster than you. It never gets sleepy or distracted or drunk. We are entering the age of AI, when people realize computers are getting smarter than them. Yes, computers used to crash every day (thanks to Mr Gates), but your iPhone is much better. "Made in Japan" used to be a synonym for junk. Now Toyota and Honda mean reliability.

Finally, demand for robo-vehicles will be high. Elderly folks know their eyesight and reaction time are fading, but they don't wanna lose their mobility. Teenagers just want mobility and escape from adult eyes. Parents want safety for their teenagers. Businesses want lower labor costs. Money will talk.

Seems those of us who are more bullish on this week action have made a fatal mistake. The stock isn't going anywhere this week because the universe demands it.
1619019757765.png

I'm not a huge fan of the constant "never sell!" chorus here, but in this instance let me put on my @StealthP3D hat and disagree.

When FUD is extreme like this and MM's SP pushdown so strong, it's happening for a reason. They're concerned about the probability of a near term share price spike. Taking a step back and looking at the situation without emotion or TMC bias.....why would you be selling in such an environment? If anything, you should be selling when this board in in euphoria-mode and SP is skyrocketing, then look to buy back in lower during a pullback years down the line.

Your logic of re-entering at some lower or similar price point in the future is completely valid. Volatility is here to stay, and so is shorting and FUD, opportunities will be there. I just think you might wanna wait a few weeks for the impact of what we know is likely a blowout quarter. These guys are scared to death, why do exactly what they're praying you'll do?
I take pause. Gonna wait for more data ;)

On Tuesday, a New Jersey appellate court dismissed a complaint filed by an automotive trade group that accused the state of being overly lenient toward Tesla.

According to the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers (NJCAR), Tesla is currently operating unlicensed retail locations. By selling vehicles at these direct-to-consumer locations, Tesla is allegedly violating consumer protection laws.

NJCAR also accuses the Motor Vehicle Commission of selectively enforcing its rules regarding retail locations, working in Tesla’s favour. It claims that the state’s motor vehicle and consumer affairs officials have struck a deal with Tesla that allowed the company to avoid the law’s requirement that car sales must take place through licenced dealerships.

As a result, Tesla was granted a special exception to the rule, which the state failed to enforce.

The case, however, was dismissed by the panel.

I take pause. Gonna wait for more data ;)
If we're being honest and this is a safe space to share my feelings........I'm kinda hoping we cross $1200/$1300 so my covered calls get executed on most of my shares. Following TSLA this close day in and day out for a month is wearing on me. And F'ing with my work.

Would not be opposed to sitting on tons of cash and just ignoring the market for two years. Maybe buy back in on a dip to $1100 in late 2023 when Trump officially announces.

I agree, if you add one word: some. Tragically, some people are morons. But not everyone.

Tesla will find areas where non-morons prevail, maybe the US States where Level 5 is already legal (according to @Knightshade), and create demonstration projects there. These projects will quickly get so impressive that morons will get outvoted. Thousands of deaths in human-driven cars versus a tiny fraction in self-driving Teslas will impress the majority with teenage kids or elderly parents who are dangerous behind the wheel.

I also think self-driving cars are fairly easy to understand, even for morons. It's got eight eyes, not just two. It reacts faster than you. It never gets sleepy or distracted or drunk. We are entering the age of AI, when people realize computers are getting smarter than them. Yes, computers used to crash every day (thanks to Mr Gates), but your iPhone is much better. "Made in Japan" used to be a synonym for junk. Now Toyota and Honda mean reliability.

Finally, demand for robo-vehicles will be high. Elderly folks know their eyesight and reaction time are fading, but they don't wanna lose their mobility. Teenagers just want mobility and escape from adult eyes. Parents want safety for their teenagers. Businesses want lower labor costs. Money will talk.
That's why I think they should start in Canada (but not Alberta, we all know how they drive in BC).

No seriously, I was born in Canada but alternated Canada<-> USA throughout my schooling days since childhood - probably 10 times back and forth. Each time, the classes were so easy in the US (Az and Fla), but upon my return to either BC or Ont, man it was buckle up time. I bet Justin would help out. Not to mention Canadians don't entertain Lawyers quite as much as the US. I vote Canada for first Tesla Network beta release.

If we're being honest and this is a safe space to share my feelings........I'm kinda hoping we cross $1200/$1300 so my covered calls get executed on most of my shares. Following TSLA this close day in and day out for a month is wearing on me. And F'ing with my work.

Would not be opposed to sitting on tons of cash and just ignoring the market for two years. Maybe buy back in on a dip to $1100 in late 2023 when Trump officially announces.
I take your input with some caution... I believe you talking about borrowing on margin recently to lean in further with TSLA. At that moment in time, I considered your actions way too risky for me, however, I'm also 60.

Also being honest here, I also admired your guts because I know my own dream lakefront home is quite a ways off from here (at least in this real estate market). So I question whether I can stomach just rolling leaps in the money like @Papafox as I understand. But a downturn on those can be 2x the pain.

So I'm considering that move still, just one or two options, if there's a nice dip next week. This move does not require cash given my pure TSLA stock position. Lots to consider here...

FUDsters have FUD. Tesla has data.

When Tesla can show regulators hard data proving FSD is 10x safer than human drivers, FSD will be approved. Political pressure due to FUD might slow down approval, but can't stop it. Facts beat FUD eventually, when people are killing each other with cars every day.

Elon is confident Level 5 is coming soon. Yes, he has been confident before and wrong. But like Autopilot, he learns from mistakes. He's very smart, and knows more about FSD than most anyone on Earth, so as time passes my confidence in his confidence gets higher, not lower.

I don't think FSD is priced into the stock. Because the profits from self-driving cars, taxis, trucks, delivery vans (and eventually planes, trains and ships) will be so gargantuan that the current stock price is a joke. Solving computer vision, like other revolutionary technologies, will change the world in ways we can't foresee. But I can see it will hit the transportation industries like an atomic bomb. It is the Transport Singularity.
You’re looking at the wrong data.

By the time FSD arrives, ~100% of commuting will be done by Zoom so FSD will be DOA. 🤔 /s

(Totally agree with your post btw)