Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really liked this too, and thought about it a bit more and legitimately wondered if the "EV" slice is existing owners upgrading to new Teslas? The graph doesn't indicate if this is the case and with the share price runup, it can't be a trivial number of owners upgrading.
Probably Leaf/Bolt owners upgrading.

1619471887111.png
doing my part and adding more chairs.

The one thing that stands out to me as a question mark is the Bitcoin sale.

OK, we made a 100 Million. Great.

Is TSLA a trading house now? I understand the hedging and really thought the idea was to HODL to counteract effects of fiat devaluation. But now they are selling for profit. OK, Why? Are there allocations they are sticking to? This would be OK... but otherwise what? It went high so we sold? And if it goes low again we will buy? And isn't that how allocations work?

Would rather not become a crypto trading house, but if you must, then go whole hog and set up the TESLA CRYPTO EXCHANGE. Yeah, baby! Bitcoin Billionaire!

No, not really. Want to stick to the mission.
Normally I would agree. But, given overall inflation, crypto hedging kind of makes sense. And yes, don't overdo trading. On the other hand, I guess Tesla in general and Zach specifically has the bandwidth to set a probable range for crypto, and buy/sell minor portions when the range is exceeded to either side.

Great work. you'd have been bang on target without the BTC sale, though there certainly have been a few offsetting items that couldn't have been predicted accurately

Thanks - and I only post my work publicaly for my TMC team here (no twitter, Youtube, etc). I've benefited more than you could imagine from all of you that I feel an obligation to contribute in some way.

Gratifying to see them ramp up capital expenditures (the source of future growth) while keeping the ship steady.

Model X/Model S is still a mystery. Was this a failure to execute or rather was it expected?
Complete guess, but I do wonder if Model S/X delays could have something to do with this:

In Q1, we were able to navigate through global chip supply shortage issues in part by pivoting extremely quickly to new microcontrollers, while simultaneously developing firmware for new chips made by new suppliers.

The one thing that stands out to me as a question mark is the Bitcoin sale.

OK, we made a 100 Million. Great.

Is TSLA a trading house now? I understand the hedging and really thought the idea was to HODL to counteract effects of fiat devaluation. But now they are selling for profit. OK, Why? Are there allocations they are sticking to? This would be OK... but otherwise what? It went high so we sold? And if it goes low again we will buy? And isn't that how allocations work?

Would rather not become a crypto trading house, but if you must, then go whole hog and set up the TESLA CRYPTO EXCHANGE. Yeah, baby! Bitcoin Billionaire!

No, not really. Want to stick to the mission.
Didn't they make $272 million? That's what proceeds from sales of digital assets says. Is there anything but bitcoin there? This is a new line in the report so should all be bitcoin.

Or does it mean they sold for $272 million out of which $101 million was profit?

Depending on when they sold I would say the got between 52k-58k. Bitcoin has lost roughly 2% since ER came out.

They spent c.$1.2b on BTC, made a profit of c.$100m and ended the quarter at c.$1.3b (without being allowed to reval upwards) - That implies that they were paid in BTC for vehicles to the order of c.$300m (assuming the $100m difference in cash paid and EoQ balance, plus 100% gain on sold BTC). Not much out of $9b total revenue, but still a nice little earner.