Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait a second...you’ve been suggesting for a while now on this forum that Tesla would not refresh the S/X.

You’re now on board with the that possibility?

I think you're confused. Interior refresh != Switching the pack from 18650s to 2170s.

And I only think an interior refresh is a possibility. Far from a certainty. But possible.

Not a surprise to most of the folks here:

VW slashes 7,000 jobs to refocus on electric cars

BERLIN-- Volkswagen AG, the world's biggest auto maker by sales, will cut up to 7,000 administrative jobs over the next five years, in the latest move highlighting how global auto makers are scrambling to shoulder the huge costs of new technology for electric and self-driving cars.

The company said Wednesday the job cuts will be at its namesake VW brand, its biggest division and the source of half its revenues. The cuts would amount to about 6% of the brand's German workforce of 119,394 employees.

Thanks, that “steampunk” word captures the image I have based on the teasers from Elon: something similar to the Semi cab with a bed bolted on. And if so it won’t at all be a competitor to high end F-150s, but instead be something for the Hummer set that wants larger. And that means that Rivian will take the EV segment of the high-end F-150 market if they get there first. If I am not mistaken, EM has said that he doesn’t expect a lot of folks to like his monster pickup, and that would make a traditional pickup “later”.

So now I am wondering whether the EM steampunk pickup teasers might be intentional exaggeration to throw competitors off-balance, and that his first pickup will indeed be more like a cross between an F-150 and the off-road capabilities of a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, which would hit my piece of the market right on the money and be serious competition to the Rivian R1T.

My understanding is that the EV Pickup/RV/Off-Road marked is HUGE, and not one that the MY will overlap much. Which means there is a huge upside to Tesla offering something that mainstream will buy, not just the Hummer set. Will be great fun to watch, and I hope a huge upside for growth and SP.

I don't believe it really. Why on Earth would you spend resources, at this time in the company's history, to make something that few people would want? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Reactions: humbaba
Maybe the super-villain will drive a Tesla...
Why of course. And they'll probably find an actor that looks like a devilish Elon. Since Elon is in real life such a super villain.
upload_2019-3-13_11-27-39.jpeg

Only if HW3 is being installed immediately or a free upgrade is promised to AP owners too - otherwise it would be Osbourning end of Q1 sales of HW 2.5 units ...

Maybe I'm just tired from lack of sleep but why would there be any Osbourning effect with HW3? If you pay for FSD, you get it and will get the hardware one way or another....regardless of if you order a S/X/3 right now that doesn't have the hardware in it. Why would it be need to be a free upgrade for AP owners when it's for FSD?

You must be referring to the surprise of an updated Roadster rolling out at the end of the Semi-Truck event in November 2017. Which leads one to wonder if there could be any surprises tomorrow at the Model Y event. A Pickup Truck? Something else? Guesses are welcome.

Good, 'cause otherwise I would have basically nothing to contribute to TMC. :)

How about: The Model Y drives itself onto the stage, auto parks next to a 250 kW charger which automatically connects itself to the car, which then starts its charging session, with the charging power displayed on a big screen...

I don't believe it really. Why on Earth would you spend resources, at this time in the company's history, to make something that few people would want? Makes no sense whatsoever.
Isn’t it based on the semi? Or was that a joke? Plus if it’s super ridiculous and cool and expensive I’m sure it would generate profits. Eff it I might buy one instead of Roadster

Maybe they will go with the "easy" route and put a charging inlet on both sides of the car and you can use two V3 stalls at the same time for a 500kW charging rate. :eek: Then we will get all sorts of complaints about 2020 Roadster owners hogging 2 Supercharger stalls.
Will those be the same people that complained when Tesla raised the prices on SCs as well?

How about: The Model Y drives itself onto the stage, auto parks next to a 250 kW charger which automatically connects itself to the car, which then starts its charging session, with the charging power displayed on a big screen...

I do wish they had been able to develop that "snake" charger deal. I know I'm not the only one that would shell out a grand or 2 for something so cool. I wanted to buy that years before I was even able to buy a Tesla.

Reactions: Tenable

Let’s see, to match the Roadster reveal, it needs to drive out of the Y. TESLA MOTORCYCLE!!!!

It does if the profit margin is high enough. Plus it's a second (or third) halo vehicle.

Isn’t it based on the semi? Or was that a joke? Plus if it’s super ridiculous and cool and expensive I’m sure it would generate profits. Eff it I might buy one instead of Roadster

I think one halo car is enough and the RII perfectly fits the bill.

Regardless of high margins, they could very easily design a "normal" pickup that makes the Rivian look like chopped liver; for lower cost, higher margins, earlier to market and more volume.

I think one halo car is enough and the RII perfectly fits the bill.

Regardless of high margins, they could very easily design a "normal" pickup that makes the Rivian look like chopped liver; for lower cost, higher margins, earlier to market and more volume.

The set of those who lust for the RII and those who lust for the semi-pickup intersect, but it's not a big intersection. Having two halo vehicles in two separate categories is a big win for Tesla.

It costs a lot more development time to design a normal pickup than it does to just put a box on the back of an existing design. No doubt Tesla will build a more normal one down the road, but the semi-pickup can be put in to production rapidly.

Agreed. I wonder about 5G too, probably too soon for that.

It'll be years before 5G has any meaningful coverage so of limited use. The current in-car software barely taxes an LTE connection so there is little benefit in making the leap. Also, bear in mind, gigabit LTE is a thing and most folks will probably see that before they see 5G. There are iPhones and Android phone that support that today.