Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this once already on April 4. As you can see from the Model S section of the Tesla website, the current production S does use at least a rear casting and I can't tell about the front.
1620135364558.png

Tesla taps tiny startup’s tech to build cheaper, cleaner batteries – TechCrunch

The above article from Techcrunch speculates that Tesla purchased Springpower International, a small Canadian battery company based outside Toronto. Spingpower owned patent applications for some of the cathode technology that Drew presented at Battery Day. Tesla bought these patent applications for $3 and they've now been awarded in Tesla's name. Springpowers company website was replaced by a holding page a week before battery day and their CEO isn't talking but his Linkedin page has links to Tesla staff. So I'd say we can add Springpower to the list of battery aquisitions along with Maxwell, Hibar etc.

I posted this once already on April 4. As you can see from the Model S section of the Tesla website, the current production S does use at least a rear casting and I can't tell about the front.
View attachment 659445
It could possibly be a 2-piece casting given that its probably a larger casting than a Model Y. They would still have the smaller gigapresses used for the original Model Y 2-piece so it makes sense to use these presses to produce rear castings for the lower volume S.

Steven from Solving the Money Problem did a video on the company in Italy who makes the Giga Press machines yesterday, probably mentioned before a few pages back. It blew my mind how similar the CEO thinks in terms of their mission to help the automotive industry become less wasteful, more sustainable through better materials, engineering innovation and scale. Could have been Elon talking.

I would wish that Tesla acquired this company!

Link just in case anyone missed it:

Thanks for sharing, a worthwhile watch.

I agree that Tesla and Idra seem cut from the same cloth, a match made in heaven. Not sure if Tesla should buy Idra, however, because Big Tech is already under the monopoly microscope from politicians. Tesla might be better served by continuing to foster their relationship with Idra and seeing where it goes, allowing them both maximum flexibility and agility. In any event, Idra's casting machine coupled with SpaceX/Tesla's proprietary materials is a winning combination for both companies and one that is not likely to go away anytime soon. (By the way, does anyone else here feel like Idra's promotional videos are shot by the same people who do Tesla's? They appear the same to me....just a thought. Also funny that Idra's CEO has adopted the "Gigapress" term, yet another head nod to Tesla)

Tesla's relentless focus on fewer parts and factory volumetric efficiency cannot be stressed enough. When CT comes out, the simple three-part cast frame bonded to the folded origami-like body will save so much time, money and factory space as to render all other competitors nearly obsolete. Old Auto already has too much 19th-century inertia and dead-weight strapped to them, I cannot see how they are going to avoid the Tesla tsunami.

If you're feeling sad about today's SP action, watch this video, it may cheer you up.