Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They may be stockpiling Model Y rear castings, for a future shift to front and rear castings for Plaid+ Model S/X.

That is if Model S/X are going to have castings..

They may have been testing a Model Y front casting at Austin.

So if Model S/X are not going to have castings, Fremont may move to front and rear castings for Model Y.
Does anyone know what the lead time is for new casting moulds? Does it have long lead times like stamping dies, or is it a relatively quick job to machine new ones?

Does anyone know what the lead time is for new casting moulds? Does it have long lead times like stamping dies, or is it a relatively quick job to machine new ones?
Tesla bought a Michigan tool & die fabricator several years ago, so at least there is no delay from dealing with suppliers. They make them in-house.

I actually owned the American version of that. It only started about 50% of the time.

Pontiac-Fiero-77.jpg

Oh, you got a good one!

This was the one to have back in that era...I had upgraded Bridgestones and on-wheel speed balancing. It drove so smoothly! It would, however, go sideways in an instant at freeway speeds crossing under the overpasses in Minnesota winters, which made for a very interesting drive. /s

Attachments

• 63e8579269f2e02ca51f9698dee02251.jpg
    63e8579269f2e02ca51f9698dee02251.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Maybe you were looking at this:

View attachment 659347

Notice that the DU building is just a portion of the next big building there...
That's already an updated plan.

The original drawings showed component manufacturing like drive unit, packs and seats on the second floor, with BiW and general assembly on the ground level.

tesla-gigafactory-plan-berlin.png

Last edited:
They may be stockpiling Model Y rear castings, for a future shift to front and rear castings for Plaid+ Model S/X.

That is if Model S/X are going to have castings..

They may have been testing a Model Y front casting at Austin.

So if Model S/X are not going to have castings, Fremont may move to front and rear castings for Model Y.

Even castings for the 3 is a possibility.

In any case, Tesla can run Gigapresses at high speed & then switch moulds without impacting line/car production. They can ship these pieces anywhere to kick start production. Use of each piece can be implemented separately on each line. Flexible production, stronger, lighter, cheaper & uniform parts, 300 robot & labour saving.

I trust Tesla to make the right choices at the right times. I love the competence/execution. I just compare it to every firm I've ever been involved in (shudder - meetings, postponed decisions, lack of ownership, politics, budgets).

Edit: Plus Magical Thinking in other companies - boss says it must be done so it will be done. Hard can be done, not impossible, not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
OT: Watch out for another anti tesla no-news site World is one news (WION)

More than almost anything applies to Tesla: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win”.
We are full in stage 3. Expect more fud in the coming months.
All the most of us can do is debunk the fud with the people we know and just share a ride with others. Still the most convincing argument.

An 'old car' has become an argument for me.
If I take people on a ride and tell them that my Model S is already 8 years old and has more than 300.000 km on the odo, they are flabbergasted.

Wild speculation: extra cell production/proof/R&D/pre-production explorations of improvements, new equipment.

Based on this tweet - New Construction works at Tesla Grohmann Automation in Prüm, Germany. The pillars look familiar with those from GigaBerlin
Text version: "New Construction works at Tesla Grohmann Automation in Prüm, Germany. The pillars look familiar with those from GigaBerlin"

Written up as in article (in German) at Deutsche Tochter Tesla Automation mit Mini-Gigafactory? > teslamag.de
Translated (badly):

"Mini-Gigafactory in the Eifel: Tesla is now also building for its German automation subsidiary"

"currently many new positions advertised at Tesla Automation, especially at the headquarters - the automation subsidiary still has its own job website.
The expansion from Germany shows how much the German engineering subsidiary is now integrated into the global Tesla business. Their competencies include machines for battery production at the cell and module level, which is exactly what Tesla needs more and more . This also applies to Germany as the old Grohmann location and the new one for Tesla with the Gigafactory near Berlin, for which battery cell production is now also to be applied for."

@ByeByeJohnny I'm not sure what you are talking about. One of the original renderings:

View attachment 659332

and the current state:

View attachment 659333

Other than the corner missing the fancy entry way on the corner it looks like they are right on track to build it very closely to the rendering. (Well there are way more roof penetrations which means there isn't going to be anywhere near as much solar installed as the rendering.)

i.e. Everyone can make it work in a PowerPoint...

Maybe you were looking at this:

View attachment 659347

Notice that the DU building is just a portion of the next big building there...

That's already an updated plan.

The original drawings showed component manufacturing like drive unit, packs and seats on the second floor, with BiW and general assembly on the ground level.

tesla-gigafactory-plan-berlin.png
Thanks for proving that I hadn't just dreamt those. I do concede that they are not renderings but merely early drawings. That said I feel vindicated by especially the one showing all four sections with separate cell building, parking, railyard and more. This is what I was referring to.

The one with DU included in one of the future sections is pretty much still buildable as drawn.

As I said in my original post a few days ago. If Tesla is talking about eventually making two million cars in Berlin the current building is nowhere large enough. Think of it like this. If current building could potentially handle that many then the first plans would have indicated they thought that eventually they could produce 4x2=8 million cars at the site. With the largest car factory in the world at around 1 million that seems a bit much even for Elon.

So I stand by that the current buildings will be able to do around half a million cars.

I also just noted looking at this that the tree clearing they did a few months back seems to include roughly the area where the cell building is on that drawing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: capster
Even castings for the 3 is a possibility.

In any case, Tesla can run Gigapresses at high speed & then switch moulds without impacting line/car production. They can ship these pieces anywhere to kick start production. Use of each piece can be implemented separately on each line. Flexible production, stronger, lighter, cheaper & uniform parts, 300 robot & labour saving.

I trust Tesla to make the right choices at the right times. I love the competence/execution. I just compare it to every firm I've ever been involved in (shudder - meetings, postponed decisions, lack of ownership, politics, budgets).

Edit: Plus Magical Thinking in other companies - boss says it must be done so it will be done. Hard can be done, not impossible, not mutually exclusive.
Steven from Solving the Money Problem did a video on the company in Italy who makes the Giga Press machines yesterday, probably mentioned before a few pages back. It blew my mind how similar the CEO thinks in terms of their mission to help the automotive industry become less wasteful, more sustainable through better materials, engineering innovation and scale. Could have been Elon talking.

I would wish that Tesla acquired this company!

Link just in case anyone missed it: