Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have handy the initial reservation rate statistics for Cybertruck? For example, I think Ford reported 20k reservations for the Lightning the next day after the reveal.

Do we know how that compares to CT? With its dramatically different looks, I’d expect the CT reservation rate to lag a bit initially, so I’m curious how they compare.

Personally I remember it taking a day or two before I started digging the CT looks, and there WAS the glass breaking fiasco.

But I feel that part of Ford’s job was to convince the ICE truck customers to make the switch to electric, and the presentation left me feeling that they didn’t try hard enough or have enough unique characteristics in the truck to do that.

I can’t shake this nagging feeling that they’re not truly committed to that truck. If they truly believed in it they would have announced that production of the ICE variant was ending, but they didn’t.

They repeatedly compared it favorably to the ICE variant but clearly were not committed to jumping the chasm to electric. I get it—if it fails they are toast—but that’s the essence of the innovator’s dilemma and exactly what many of us have been expecting here for a decade.

This convinces me that Ford knows they will be cannibalizing their own profitable ICE sales for far less or completely unprofitable EV sales, and every time I think about it I see more clearly that Ford really is trapped in the innovator’s dilemma.

Rob Maurer calculated the F150 packs to be well north of 100kWh (even the small pack) and combined with the MPH charge rate the numbers indicate horrendous efficiency.

I truly want the Lightning to do well but it just feels like Ford is already too far behind.

With zero information in their presentation about Ford’s vision or pathway for their electric future, I’m convinced more than before that they are on a path to failure.

Last edited:
Does anyone have handy the initial reservation rate statistics for Cybertruck? For example, I think Ford reported 20k reservations for the Lightning the next day after the reveal.

Do we know how that compares to CT? With its dramatically different looks, I’d expect the CT reservation rate to lag a bit initially, so I’m curious how they compare.

Personally I remember it taking a day or two before I started digging the CT looks, and there WAS the glass breaking fiasco.

But I feel that part of Ford’s job was to convince the ICE truck customers to make the switch to electric, and the presentation left me feeling that they didn’t try hard enough or have enough unique characteristics in the truck to do that.

I can’t shake this nagging feeling that they’re not truly committed to that truck. If they truly believed in it they would have announced that production of the ICE variant was ending, but they didn’t.

This convinces me that Ford knows they will be cannibalizing their own profitable ICE sales, and every time I think about it I see more clearly that Ford really is trapped in the innovator’s dilemma.

Rob Maurer calculated the F150 packs to be well north of 100kWh (even the small pack) and combined with the MPH charge rate the numbers indicate horrendous efficiency.

I truly want the Lightning to do well but it just feels like Ford is already too far behind.

With zero information in their presentation about Ford’s vision or pathway for their electric future, I’m convinced more than before that they are on a path to failure.
Cybertruck got over 200k reservations in the first 24 hours if I’m remember correctly

Cybertruck got over 200k reservations in the first 24 hours if I’m remember correctly
Wow, if that’s right, then that explains Farley’s silence since that initial number. I think Farley tweeted this a bit less than 24 hours after the reveal, but not by enough to imply 10x less reservations.

Maybe—just maybe—customers are smart enough to recognize Tesla’s experience and leadership in EVs and EV tech.

I was tempering my expectations but given that Tesla will undoubtedly have dramatically higher production capacity than anyone else for a very long time, we could be seeing the start of the transition of the truck king-of-the-hill from ICE F150s to Cybertrucks.

This will be interesting. Who will win? Will it be the traditional truck looks from an established truck maker but inferior specs and cost? Or will it be the truck with superior specs but a unique look?

Rivian will come out of left field with none of Ford’s baggage, a more traditional looking truck but with more unique features, but with a much higher price tag.

With CT’s unique looks, I never thought I’d say this, but I’m feeling CT will come out on top as long as Tesla executes.

Initially, the look turns some people off. Too different. But when the CT becomes more and more mainstream, it becomes less different and isn’t rejected as strongly by those fearing a unique looking vehicle.

Wall Street analysts say Tesla’s pickup is ‘really weird’ and Ford can ‘breathe a sigh of relief’​

I'm British, so maybe I am wrong, but having been to Manhattan once, I strongly got the impression that in general, and please correct a Brit if he is wrong here, wall street analysts are not people who *in the main* drive TRUCKS?

NASDAQ-100 Futures: +34.00 +0.25% 05:09:31 a.m. EDT

TSLA Pre-market 599.20 +12.42 (2.12%) 5:08 a.m. EDT

Elon tweeted a running count on CT reservations for the first 250K: (links below)

"146k Cybertruck orders so far, with 42% choosing dual, 41% tri & 17% single motor" Nov 23
"With no advertising & no paid endorsement"
"187k"
"200k"
"250k" | Nov 26

Cheers!

I'm British, so maybe I am wrong, but having been to Manhattan once, I strongly got the impression that in general, and please correct a Brit if he is wrong here, wall street analysts are not people who *in the main* drive TRUCKS?
Not sure if they drive trucks, as I have no evidence on that. But that is not too important.

We do have evidence that many of them are much slower to pick up on things than this forum. And this forum is bullish for Tesla, so...

I’d say with about 1/6th the reservations of the CT in the same period, inferior specs and technology, limited production capacity, limited profit margin if any, dealerships to keep happy, and profits dependent on legacy technology, Ford has plenty to be worried about.

I think that at the weekend they clip on their goatee beards and pony tails and head for the Hamptons to spend a couple of days being rebels so yeah, probably truck customers.

My guess is with identical charges of $100 to make the reservation, the two numbers are equally meaningful.
Ford like Tesla has little incentive to over develop demand beyond supply. Once they have significant capacity, they will have a strong incentive to drive demand to Lightning. Dealers, not so much but they will sell what they have.

CT has already done a large part of its job by scarring the knickers off the ICE vendors. Now the race parameters are established clearly. Trucks have been credibly established as EVs.

Next reveal will be the compact world car to move the Japanese makers.

They repeatedly compared it favorably to the ICE variant but clearly were not committed to jumping the chasm to electric. I get it—if it fails they are toast—but that’s the essence of the innovator’s dilemma and exactly what many of us have been expecting here for a decade.

This convinces me that Ford knows they will be cannibalizing their own profitable ICE sales for far less or completely unprofitable EV sales, and every time I think about it I see more clearly that Ford really is trapped in the innovator’s dilemma.

No company wants to cannibalize their own profitable sales. They want conquest sales. Although inevitably there will be some cannibalization.

Expecting Ford to announce the end of the ICE F-150 is just plain silly. They have massive demand for it. And they don't have the batteries to switch.

They don't want to convince curent F Series owners to switch. They want owners of other vehicles to switch. They want to target Toyota/Nissan truck and SUV owners on the West Coast and Northeast to switch. Particularly the hybrid owners. Prius and other hybrid sedan owners looking for a bigger vehicle. Owners of current BEVs looking for a bigger vehicle. People that always like the utility of a full size truck but were unwilling to pay to fuel it when they only needed the utility occasionally .

When Tesla sells a cybertruck they sell the resulting EV credits at ~50% discount. When Ford sells a Lightning they will consume the credits internally at 100% value.

Wolfe Research analyst Rod Lache, in an investor note Thursday, estimated Lightning production would be limited to 80,000 pickups per year, based on capacity data from parts plants that supply the truck.

Ford CEO Jim Farley said production of Lightning would be limited for 2022. SKI 2nd GF in Georgia with a capacity of 11.7 GWh is expected to come online in 2023 will supply Lightning. I guess Ford will be importing cells for 2022.

Looking past 2024 Ford and SKI signed a memorandum of understanding to create two Joint Venture GF with a total capacity of 60 GWh. They haven't finalized contracts so who knows when those come online.

Perusing Ford/GM truck forums it seems 90% want to crowd fund the assassination of Bill Ford and/or Jim Farley,

The other 10% that saw the Ford Lightning presentation had the main takeaway " So I can store 12 bags of groceries under the hood? That is like having a full size sedan and full size truck in one vehicle. Hmmm. "