Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y is exactly what I expected. The bells, whistles and neato features were all known because it’s based on the 3. In 2 years the 3’s and Y’s interior design will still be light years ahead of the competition. People always seem to forget that no gas with great performance, technology and long range is the winning recipe. Tesla will have no problem selling at volume.

Many a billion in sales will flow in and all these short fools on the forum will still be complaining that it’s ugly and Elon is a bad presenter.

Believe me, they are not going to publish the # of reservations for the MY like they did for M3.

Dont think the demand will be that great. There was not much to talk about MY so they had to fill the presentation with rehash of history and only 5 min. of MY.

Actually, there are no reservations for MY. You have to place a firm order, with agreed upon prices and features and options. That for a car that will take a while to get delivered (even more so in China and Europe). This is not a crowdfunding campaign like the Model 3 reveal. Tesla doesn’t need to do that anymore. Normal is the new normal at Tesla.

Alright, let's see how this has aged:

the way I look at this is, from the perspective of Tesla speaking to a) customers and b) their competition (and not to investors).

So if my theory is right, tonight we will get:
1) An awesome car that many people will want to own. -- check
2) The opportunity to pre-order / register (I think this is pretty much a given now) -- check
3) Lots of (very credible) details on manufacturing/production/assembly: I would love to see some innovation like "no more 12V battery required", or "fully automated wiring harness assembly", or specific other numbers that will shock/annoy/horrify the legacy car makers. -- fail
4) Something about how this time production ramp will be different -- I would consider this check (details on price, production schedule, geography etc.)
5) Maybe some videos / live demo of some particularly difficult aspect of the production (robot installing wiring harness? or similar). - fail (there was a lot of talk about factories etc. though)

Also of course:
6) Advanced summon + AP3 if it is ready - fail
7) Something (could e.g. be AP3) to buy immediately right now for new and existing customers -fail
8) Less likely but still on my list: a (small) interior refresh of Model S/X e.g. GUI, water cooling for AP3, CCS for Europe etc. fail (as half-expected)

Overall not a very "hyped-up" event, but a very solid reminder of where Tesla has come from. Liked to see Elon double down on the 500k cars conversation. Funny as this may sound, this event might even generate a few Model 3 sales: it puts an end to the speculation and when the Model Y is coming and how it might look like. All facts incl. the $35k Model 3 are on the table now. With all the details. This means that folks can buy with peace of mind. (and I need to work on my forecasting skills ;-) )

Oh, one more: the reservation IS different from the Model 3: it is an actual order and it is $2500. I guess that's a "check" more:

So if I were Tesla, I would make this different from the Model 3 launch: I would take at least 2.5k USD and announce that of course you can't compare that to the Model 3. Then I would indicate timeframes for which options / which countries come first

That way you avoid the 1:1 comparison, get an even better idea how impatient people will be waiting for what.

I would give the option to pre-order to destroy ICE demand: remember the BMW 3 Series started to tank after Model 3 pre-orders were open.

I guess the firm order really IS destroying the ICE demand for CUVs. That's pretty ingenious!

Last edited:
Nice to see abandoning the chrome though.
There are many nasty chemicals and effluents resulting from putting chrome on auto parts. The process usually includes copper plating, then nickel plating and finally chrome plating. Chemicals include strong acids and bases, cyanides and hexa-valent chrome. Eliminating chrome parts is good for the environment!

Nice to see abandoning the chrome though.

I like the chrome on my wife's Model 3. Her favorite color is chrome. :cool:
On the one hand, I was a little confused and disappointed how similar it looks to the 3. But, as an investor, I am actually relieved, because I think we have dodged another "manufacturing hell".
Another point that I hope the media catches: European factory live by early 2021! :D

m5akbh3cj7m21.jpg
Looks pretty good imo.

It looks plenty good in this image and also in the screenshot of the red one posted by Dandursten. And on the order page it looks good after I changed the color to white and added the optional wheels. (It's unfortunate they only show one angle.) I expect that in person the appearance will be not WOW but plenty good enough for good sales. It's easy to picture millions on the road. Tesla did themselves a disservice with the quality of the reveal, but everything will move on.

Actually, there are no reservations for MY. You have to place a firm order, with agreed upon prices and features and options. That for a car that will take a while to get delivered (even more so in China and Europe). This is not a crowdfunding campaign like the Model 3 reveal. Tesla doesn’t need to do that anymore. Normal is the new normal at Tesla.

Kiiiinda. But the $2500 is fully refundable.