Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also stand by my pre-reveal conjecture: those 6th & 7th seats are extremely unlikely to be appropriate for most NoAm adults. I'd say likely to be okay for junior high school age and below. To the extent that's correct, is it an appropriate CapEx investment to offer this option? Honest question; I've no good sense how that would pencil out.
It’s going to be available later than the 5 seat version. By that time, the capex won’t matter anymore.

Reactions: UncaNed
Because they are lowballing the timeline... this car will arrive early.

Now, what about:
When will deliveries of Model Y begin?
Model Y production will begin in late 2020 in North America, with deliveries beginning shortly after. Production will begin in Europe and China in the first half of 2021, with deliveries beginning shortly after.

I also stand by my pre-reveal conjecture: those 6th & 7th seats are extremely unlikely to be appropriate for most NoAm adults. I'd say likely to be okay for junior high school age and below. To the extent that's correct, is it an appropriate CapEx investment to offer this option? Honest question; I've no good sense how that would pencil out.

It will fit a lot of svelte sexy French women and Chinese women.

See, America isn't so America-centric.

Model 3 3rd row not designed for obese North Americans.

The U.S. is the most obese nation in the world, just ahead of Mexico

I think the Y will look great in person. Love the back and the profile looks. Initially I was disappointed in its the late 2020 production guidance. Since it shares so much with the Model 3 I was hoping Elon would drop an "early 2020" bomb. That would have lit up the market. However, I think Elon and Tesla are finally embracing the under promise and over deliver philosophy.

So, it's back to watching TSLA fight waves of FUD and hoping for it to catch fire in two to three years.

At first was a little bit disappointed with the look on stage. But with the picture on the reservation pages, I kind of like the look of the car.

It gives out a steady and stud look, solid and heavy.

As an investor, I think it's a good move. Too much excitement, and delay, and sleeping on the factory floor for one week, permanently damaging you nerve. etc. For a moment, when the two ladies from the back seat exit the door, I thought I saw the falcon wing door, and I almost dropped from my chair. So this is good.

With 70% parts shared with Model 3, let's further take advantage of the economy of scale, and seriously generate some good gross margin.

This is all business like thinking, and not so much fanfare, which is what we need. The fanfare will come at the quarterly earning report date.

Net positive.

Need the Money ! after re-payment of the convert bond
Correct my memory: the reservation on the M3 was $1000, but the deposit on the MY is $2500. Right?

So that would be more money. Plus reservation holders holding out for certain configurations was a bit of a problem for M3. With an order in hand, Tesla builds them and delivers them. The customer has to make an active choice to cancel the order to get their money back. But with the order, the buyer has 7 days from the delivery to reject the vehicle. So the MY ramp could be a much more orderly process for Tesla.

Reactions: kbM3 and Tenable
Model Y exterior is as I expected, but I am surprised at the 7 seat option. I imagine they’ll offer a 6 seat option (2 bucket seats in the middle) in the future. If i was buying today, I’d definitely replace our 6 seater Highlander Hybrid with the Model Y.

As an investor, little disappointed at the late 2020 production start. My hope is that they have learned from past mistakes and expect to actually start producing with some volume at that time.

If the pack is the same size as the 3, then there is the electronics penthouse under the 2rd row seats, so they have to be there.

When do you haul 6+ adults? No way to get 3 rear facing car seats in a single 3/Y sized row. And even front facing is iffy from what I read.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger